Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

I've tried Shell Helix Ultra, c-----e and VX on my current ride.

From my butt dyno, all 3 brands seems pretty much the same.

In terms of oil temp and oil pressure, these 3 brands don't deviate much. I have read in other local forums people running c-----e for their track days and their oil temps are also similar to other much more expensive brands.

c-----e and VX costs roughly half the price of Shell and they come in 5L bottles as compared to 4L for Shell which is perfect for my ride since it requires about 4.5L of oil.

With the price of c-----e and VX so competitive, you can change oil more frequently which definitely can't be a bad thing for your ride.

There's another brand now at Giant, X-Gold which is also locally manufactured and the bottle is identical to the one for VX. Even the fonts on the label look the same. I suspect they come from the same factory except they are branded differently.

That one goes for around $28 for a 5L bottle.

agreed totally...

the $27.80 x-gold at giant is on promo usual $35 or smthing..

and x-gold has a few different range.. yo can see the ful range at suntec carrefour...

Why try to save a small amount of $$ which may in turns create more damages to yr very expensive toy unless you intend to scrap it after few yrs of running.

why substainal proof do you have that a branded oil is better than lets say c@rlube? c@rlube is is widely in the UK... lousy? surely not...

penny wise pound foolish [laugh]

the foolish ones are those who pay 5-6times more for a similar product... all the $ going into advertising & marketing...

If your OCI is 5K, see no harm in using these cheap oils. After all, better to use cheaper oil and change frequently than trying to max out mileage using premium oil. Personally, I don't believe in 15/20K OCI in Singapore. Changing it at 5K or every 6 months whichever comes first is better bet.

but many here die die trust in the more expensive branded ones... like myself last time..

but honestly ater many years of my butt dyno doing tests... i came to the conclusion that ester based oils are really smooth and last...

Supersonic

Some people very funny, every time they pump petrol spend $50-60 also never blink an eye but spend a bit more($60) on good engine oil that last for 10k km(maybe 3-5mth) also want to save.

The mentality is like saying Cherry QQ is as good as Merc because it takes you from point A to point B, then might as well buy a QQ, why get a Sunny? I don't think that Sunny is cheaper than QQ right.

2 ways to look at it.

1. Engine oil last like 10k, why try to save $10, $20 over $1000 worth of petrol used during this period ?

2. Engine is not so good, don't need good oil lah.. If you sell your car within a couple of years, it won't make a difference if your engine is varnished or sludged. If you're using it over 7 yrs or more, then the extra might make a difference later on.

(edited)

Some people very funny, every time they pump petrol spend $50-60 also never blink an eye but spend a bit more($60) on good engine oil that last for 10k km(maybe 3-5mth) also want to save.

The mentality is like saying Cherry QQ is as good as Merc because it takes you from point A to point B, then might as well buy a QQ, why get a Sunny? I don't think that Sunny is cheaper than QQ right.

i think you have a rather small brain...

PETROL GOT CHOICE AH??????????????? your grandfather's petrol station?

whereas engine oils have so many choices out there... choose sensibly priced ones over ridiculously priced ones which give you no noticeale power increase whatsoever... that smart?

AND WHO THE FCUK SAID CHERRY IS AS GOOD AS A MERC??? most brainless statement of the day... wat a dumb comparision....

you quite stupid sia... -_-

dont mind me... very straight forward... [laugh]

Edited by Ken4555

he meant that since you say a cheap oil is as good as an expensive one, then a qq is as good as a merc , since it serves the same purpose, which obviously is not true. so he is implying that a cheap oil and an expensive one definately has some difference in quality la. get it ?

i can smell some cheapos here

the pig has spoken...

hope you meet with an accident today... piece of s--t...

YOU URSELF FCUKING CHEAPO YOU SO FAST FORGOT YOUR RIVERVIEW INCIDENT AH...

me i trouble myself.. not others..

you bloody mofu cheese pie sun of a beach... and of course... BALLS-LESS

he meant that since you say a cheap oil is as good as an expensive one, then a qq is as good as a merc , since it serves the same purpose, which obviously is not true. so he is implying that a cheap oil and an expensive one definately has some difference in quality la. get it ?

everyone knows that, but there are still some who cannot resist putting cheap oils in a car that cost tens of thousands of $$. why they do that? because they get the thrill of saving $$$.

i know what he means lah...

a QQ ride and a Merc ride is MILES APART!!!

so its a ridiculous comparision...

but standard API/SM fully syn oils are not too much difference unless you drive a monster modded car and live on the track...

yes i am sure quality of the oil might be different... but for everyday driving to work and hm got much diff?

everyone knows that, but there are still some who cannot resist putting cheap oils in a car that cost tens of thousands of $$. why they do that? because they get the thrill of saving $$$.

hey prick..

you like a bbq pit calling the electric stove black..

tsk tsk.. -_-

(edited)

actually myself also subscribe to the theory that most engine oil are about the same, or at least they perform equally well enough for normal aspirited car for normal road driving condition.

Edited by Vextan

actually myself also subscribe to the theory that most engine oil are about the same, or at least they perform equally well enough for normal aspirited car for normal road driving condition.

a very sensible post... -_-

No need to get so upset when it comes to using cheap vs expensive / Syn vs Mineral / light 0w20/30 vs 15w40/50 / API starburst vs non - API statburst oil.

Its your own car after all. You can use what ever you like ... at least try to be within manufacturer's spec.

To be fair, most oils are actually similiar if you drive normally / or normal car.

The difference between cheap oils n expensive oils will show when the car is driven hard and high-rev often.

The cheap oil will start to break down faster.

To be fair, most oils are actually similiar if you drive normally / or normal car.

The difference between cheap oils n expensive oils will show when the car is driven hard and high-rev often.

The cheap oil will start to break down faster.

i assume you are driving a b20?.... hv you tried mugen engine oils? i heard the moly smthing additive in the oil is really good... also sold seperately in a metal bottle MT-10 or smthing...

↡ Advertisement