Convertible cars.

Spoony

there are times and roads when it's not jammed and weather is fine.

I am sure and we should thanks owners for contributing to our economy. Observations just from a pair of green eyes old man. no offense hehe

This poor man have never own a convertible car but also has never consider one in Singapore environment.

First it is so polluted and always caught in traffic jams, why would I want to open up to smell the exhaust when I hardly or almost never even open my windows? Driving around, those cars with sun roof were always shut with the shade closed.

2nd, many MCF members share on noise and how sound proof their cars. I wonder are these canvas or when you open up the top, how is the noise level?

3rd which a plus for convertible cars. You can be seen but there are 2 types of eyes looking at you. The envy and those wondering why [rolleyes]

I think for those super rich, driving it late at night once a while may be trilling but need to look for a coaster road to appreciate. I cannot imagine driving the same road daily [:p]

Tanah Merah Coast Road quite nice to drive in a convertible. 

but i agree that convertibles are not so practical in SG. 

Turbocharged

I am sure and we should thanks owners for contributing to our economy. Observations just from a pair of green eyes old man. no offense hehe

Used to drive a car with a big moonroof they call it..

Once the novelty worn off, it was permanently closed all the way to the time I sold the car.

And yes..the pollution.. sop when I get into my car is to first turn on air circulation to prevent outside air from coming into the cabin.

Used to drive a car with a big moonroof they call it..

Once the novelty worn off, it was permanently closed all the way to the time I sold the car.

And yes..the pollution.. sop when I get into my car is to first turn on air circulation to prevent outside air from coming into the cabin.

You said it. Try touching the Peugeot 3008 moonroof on a hot day. the canvas that 'protect' the sun ray is of not protection at all. my head is baking underneath it. quite obvious the designer is not thinking of Singapore market. hahaha

Turbocharged

You said it. Try touching the Peugeot 3008 moonroof on a hot day. the canvas that 'protect' the sun ray is of not protection at all. my head is baking underneath it. quite obvious the designer is not thinking of Singapore market. hahaha

The moonroof i had was still metal and glass la.. was a Subaru Legacy GT..

But yes, I can relate to that canvas roof.. remember the 3 tonner.

Literally a sauna underneath in the hot sun

You must be kidding :o ,Designer/Car Mfg think of Singapore Market.?How BIG is Singapore Market,esp to French Cars.?? [confused]

Tanah Merah Coast Road quite nice to drive in a convertible. 

but i agree that convertibles are not so practical in SG. 

That Road so much Construction,so much Dusts & many BIG Lorries,you said nice.? [confused]  [thumbsdown]

Edited by ER-3682

Actually, on a nice cooling night/early morning, especially after rain, driving a convertible in Singapore is quite refreshing. At the right place and time it's quite a nice experience.

Some places you can go: ECP/Sheares Bridge, Mount Faber, 99 Bend (Buona Vista), Town/CBD (see all the lights), Kranji/LCK, Upper Thomson/Old Upper Thomson, Mandai.

• Praise 1

You must be kidding :o ,Designer/Car Mfg think of Singapore Market.?How BIG is Singapore Market,esp to French Cars.?? [confused]

That Road so much Construction,so much Dusts & many BIG Lorries,you said nice.? [confused][thumbsdown]

haha its ok in the early morning la. i drive along that road every day

Used to drive one but gave up after 2 years. I like the feeling of having wind in the hair but in SG, it is not practical as end up having fumes in the face coupled with humid and hot weather [sweatdrop]. Although the aircon is supposed to be able to support with open top driving (similar to having the heater on with open top driving in winter), I am not sure how long the system will be able to last before it goes kaput.

Having said that, I will settle for the 2nd best as in sub/moon roof as I like the feeling of airiness and brightness within the cabin but still have the nice cool air-conditioning :a-good:

• Praise 1

Even if I buy a convertible, think most of the time I will just pop up the roof and cover the car.

So no point for me to get a convertible, especially those soft top ones.  [laugh]

Just a fun thought about 3 reasons why people drive convertible cars in Singapore
1. Sun-seekers
Despite the horrid on-off weather, you’re more likely to encounter a breezy, cloudless day than an empty open road in Singapore. Then you can set the folding roof on its course, on the radio, and enjoy the open-air experience. It keeps driving fun when tolerating our highways’ sedate speed limits or the restless 50km/h restrictions in Sentosa. There’s nothing quite like feeling the rush of speed in your face or hair.

More headspace
Sometimes, there’s nothing better for an overworked mind than to take a long drive by yourself. And an open-top connects you to road and nature like no other car. It helps clear your mind, like any good drive should. And, blind spots disappear once you drop the roof.

3. All convertibles look cool
Think about it: The plain fact that not many of them are on the roads makes your ride stand out. Like hot hatchbacks and sports cars, most (if not all) convertibles look like fun. They  help you draw up images of driving around with a group of friends on an open road under a blazing, cloudless sky

• Praise 2

Gosh, a 7 year old thread.

Convertible is not practical in SG. But there are many reasons why people buy cars that are not practical. Otherwise why would we see Mini Coopers, Porsche Boxster/Caymans, Audi A5, BMW M4, Lambos, Ferraris in Singapore?

Car is more than just about practicality. It's tells the character of the owner/driver. It doesn't matter how you perceive them... they got money to buy, they happy can already.

There are times that a convertible is just nice to drive, just like tonight, after an evening of rain, the weather is nice and cool. Good to blast top down all the way to East Coast and back just to unwind after a fk-ed up day at work. Having no roof over your head gives the feeling of... freedom.

• Praise 2

Convertible is not practical in SG. But there are many reasons why people buy cars that are not practical. Otherwise why would we see Mini Coopers, Porsche Boxster/Caymans, Audi A5, BMW M4, Lambos, Ferraris in Singapore?

Car is more than just about practicality. It's tells the character of the owner/driver. It doesn't matter how you perceive them... they got money to buy, they happy can already.

There are times that a convertible is just nice to drive, just like tonight, after an evening of rain, the weather is nice and cool. Good to blast top down all the way to East Coast and back just to unwind after a fk-ed up day at work. Having no roof over your head gives the feeling of... freedom.

I used to drive MRS.  It is always nice to drive roof down in early morning and at night.

A lot of ppl buy cab but nvr open it more than 10 times during the entire ownership.

There are proper 4 seater cab.

I know Singapore car is expensive.  That's why the car scene is so monotonous.  Even the richie is buying boring car.

And then a lorry drive by splashing water into your cabin. :a-fun:[bigcry][laugh]

• Praise 2

I used to drive MRS.  It is always nice to drive roof down in early morning and at night.

A lot of ppl buy cab but nvr open it more than 10 times during the entire ownership.

There are proper 4 seater cab.

I know Singapore car is expensive.  That's why the car scene is so monotonous.  Even the richie is buying boring car.

One of the contributing factors to the dull local scene is that they buy with the intention to sell in future, and not to enjoy the drive - which is why you get a whole market of white, black, silver and grey cars - hardly many of the more "exotic" colours like red, blue, yellow, green and orange.

One of the contributing factors to the dull local scene is that they buy with the intention to sell in future, and not to enjoy the drive - which is why you get a whole market of white, black, silver and grey cars - hardly many of the more "exotic" colours like red, blue, yellow, green and orange.

Bright colors may mean you have to fork out higher insurance premiums.
↡ Advertisement