Saw many new bmw 7 series breakdown require towing service

Elviskoh

manual best la...only reason why u cannot go into gear is yr gearbox broken or u are just simply too weak to engage gear :P

It's an electronic shifter aka a big electronic switch which dun require any strength. I doubt you know. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

its nothing new to Bmw they only build on brand but not quality and reliability. BMW is among the lowest rating in UK and US car rating. Even their mini cooper is worst. My friend who own a 7 series make in 2003 in and out workshop countless time. A lot of 7 series owner go back to LEXUS LS or Mercede S class. Even i heard 5 series owner need to change their engine even at very low mileage.

Have you got any statistics to prove your claim, or are you just commenting based on factless rumours?

agreed....they simply dont bother about basic maintainence of the cars like checking of radiator coolant or even tyre pressure...only complaining when it breaks down...someone should seriously educate these misled ppl...

wah lao ehh... what do u expect? those who drive BMW is either rich... or born rich. U expect them to bend down and check their radiator water?? I doubt they even know how to open up the bonnet....

my ex-boss is one of the typical BMW onwer who knows nuts about car... when i say i change my own engine oil... he stare at me and tell me that he wont park beside my car next time,, wait my car explode and his car also kena... lol...

Edited by Tigershark1976

Hi All,

I am driving the E66, not the current model but the model before. The car is the best car the I had ever driven. It is now 4 years old and along the way, I do have some hiccups here And there.

Firstly, the car needs to be serviced only at 30,000 km. Based on my driving, every 2 years once. Spoken to a mechanic friend, told me this is the thing that caused problem to BMW cars. In Europe, the air is very dry, under their atmosphere, 30,000 km, the engine oil will still be alright. In Singapore, where humidity is high, condensation and water vapor enters thru petrol filler. I heeled his advise and oil change every 15,000 km or 1 year, so far so good with the engine.

Secondly, the battery used by 7 series is those really big one, like those used by trucks. My car is already 4 years, and have yet to change battery. I had requested to change but upon diagnosis, they told me battery is still strong. So leaving it alone at the moment. Guess when it fails, there is always AA, free towing. Haha.

Thirdly, BMW 7 series comes with run flat tires. Meaning, the tires should not be flat even if it is punctured. They allow you some time to drive to the tyre shop to fix it up. I once had 5 nails piercing thru one of my tyre, driving along Tuas, the I-drive indicated I am loosing tyre pressure and I still managed to drive around 20 km before fixing up.

Lastly, the I-drive. Till now I still have difficulty trying to set my GPS for the location I want to go. Garmin is friendlier to use. The i-drive is very detailed and can be intimidating in the beginning. It warns you for every little thing, like wiper water reservoir running low, tyre pressure not enough, today front wheel, tomorrow rear wheel, something to he effect of irritating you in the beginning when I owned the car. Honestly, I feel safe with this car, everything is being taken care of by I-drive, it will tell me what needs to be done and what is wrong with the car.

My complain about BMW got to be the price of parts, they are expensive. There are so many gadgets in the car, all the seats, front and rear are adjustable, there are so many on board commands. Happened to be in the BMW plant in Munich and asked them above the car, I was told there are probably a million commands in each car. Thus, there are many possibility that one small fault can make the car immobile. Touch wood, I had not experience that yet, but, I am prepared, there is always the free AA towing services. :)

Hi All,

I am driving the E66, not the current model but the model before. The car is the best car the I had ever driven. It is now 4 years old and along the way, I do have some hiccups here And there.

Firstly, the car needs to be serviced only at 30,000 km. Based on my driving, every 2 years once. Spoken to a mechanic friend, told me this is the thing that caused problem to BMW cars. In Europe, the air is very dry, under their atmosphere, 30,000 km, the engine oil will still be alright. In Singapore, where humidity is high, condensation and water vapor enters thru petrol filler. I heeled his advise and oil change every 15,000 km or 1 year, so far so good with the engine.

Secondly, the battery used by 7 series is those really big one, like those used by trucks. My car is already 4 years, and have yet to change battery. I had requested to change but upon diagnosis, they told me battery is still strong. So leaving it alone at the moment. Guess when it fails, there is always AA, free towing. Haha.

Thirdly, BMW 7 series comes with run flat tires. Meaning, the tires should not be flat even if it is punctured. They allow you some time to drive to the tyre shop to fix it up. I once had 5 nails piercing thru one of my tyre, driving along Tuas, the I-drive indicated I am loosing tyre pressure and I still managed to drive around 20 km before fixing up.

Lastly, the I-drive. Till now I still have difficulty trying to set my GPS for the location I want to go. Garmin is friendlier to use. The i-drive is very detailed and can be intimidating in the beginning. It warns you for every little thing, like wiper water reservoir running low, tyre pressure not enough, today front wheel, tomorrow rear wheel, something to he effect of irritating you in the beginning when I owned the car. Honestly, I feel safe with this car, everything is being taken care of by I-drive, it will tell me what needs to be done and what is wrong with the car.

My complain about BMW got to be the price of parts, they are expensive. There are so many gadgets in the car, all the seats, front and rear are adjustable, there are so many on board commands. Happened to be in the BMW plant in Munich and asked them above the car, I was told there are probably a million commands in each car. Thus, there are many possibility that one small fault can make the car immobile. Touch wood, I had not experience that yet, but, I am prepared, there is always the free AA towing services. :)

1st of all, i would not even wait till 15k km to change oil. It is too long for city drive. It is best to change around 10k km.

On my E39 520, the batt up lorry after alternator up lorry around 5.5 yrs. So, still got a long time to go. Best to change the alternator around 5+ yrs. Once alternator kaput, whole car went into limp mode.

Even though run-flat is good for the purpose, it is damn heavy. It might even be heavier than the wheel. Each pc of run-flat tyre could be around 10-15kg. It would be wiser to change to normal tyre.

I am not sure whether do u get ur parts. Most of us would get it from Eng Soon around Serangoon Rd. It is comparable to Jap car. For eg, valve cover on my 6 pot M54 is even cheaper than Nissan Sunny.

Lastly, W/o electronic gadgets, it is no an E66. Anyway, my fav is E38.

It's an electronic shifter aka a big electronic switch which dun require any strength. I doubt you know. [rolleyes]

I think he meant someone being too weak to engage gear in a manual gearbox [laugh]

Some cars are designed so that the owners need to send them to workshop more often than others. However, towing can also be due to global reccession (failed to pay installment promptly if on car loan)

Hey Davidtch,

Thanks for the tips and Eng Soon, will check it out there. My warranty just over, recently had my front brake pads, sensors and discs changed at cost of $700/-, it is kind of expensive. Wonder have you changed that before and what was the cost involved?

I love the E38 too... :), but is hard to find one now and also I have a W124, cannot put myself to sell the car due to sentimental reason. I was never a Bimmer fan, always think it is a car for flashy people. However, I had so much problems with my W208 that when I was looking for a replacement, the drive in a BM won me over.

Rgds

Hey Davidtch,

Thanks for the tips and Eng Soon, will check it out there. My warranty just over, recently had my front brake pads, sensors and discs changed at cost of $700/-, it is kind of expensive. Wonder have you changed that before and what was the cost involved?

I love the E38 too... :), but is hard to find one now and also I have a W124, cannot put myself to sell the car due to sentimental reason. I was never a Bimmer fan, always think it is a car for flashy people. However, I had so much problems with my W208 that when I was looking for a replacement, the drive in a BM won me over.

Rgds

Can check BMWFANS.COM or realoem.com for reference.

Recently saw many new bmw 7 series breakdown and require towing service. It is unlikely that it will breakdown but wonder why it always happens?? due to burst tire, failed engine, dead battery, failure in mechanism/electronic of the car or any other reason? Anyone can share the point?

Maybe good cars are like tat & the owners needs a little of pampering(no need to drive yet can still arrive at destination). Kekeke [rolleyes]

Recently saw many new bmw 7 series breakdown and require towing service. It is unlikely that it will breakdown but wonder why it always happens?? due to burst tire, failed engine, dead battery, failure in mechanism/electronic of the car or any other reason? Anyone can share the point?

they breakdown because they failed to pay instalment on time, so BMW new tech is able to turn off the engine from performance motor and make the car unable to move anymore. isn't it great??? BMW [sunny]

Turbocharged

I bet they are all driven by women tai-tai. They don't give a hoot about the car...just drive and drive until one day cannot move anymore, then call tow truck lor...

Haha, you are very right icedbs, my E66 was driven by my wife. Initally, every little things she will panic and stop the car. Tell you, even top up wiper water also dunno :S, when the warning signs out, immediately call me or the service centre... Really jialat... :wacko: :wacko:

Flash floods in their swanky Orchard Rd basement carparks.

There is a development at River valley where people will be able to bring their rides up to their apartment now no? far from complete and not sure when TOP.

↡ Advertisement