Refrigerator conked out, please recommend.

Vroomtattat

I gues you'll leave it turned on. Old mechinery needs life support equipment to sustain. [wave]

Refrigerator is one of the largest energy user in the house.

Go for invertors and 4 ticks.

Also, NEA makes it compulsory to display power comsumption.

That would narrow down your choices, base on needs.

If space is not a constraint, maybe relook at the size of current fridge, over or under size.

Currently, I am using Kelvinator made by Fisher & Parker (NZ made). 13 years already. So far all OK except replace door magnetic gaskets once. The next one I'll get should be a side by side fridge, or still a bottom freezer. F&P or panasonic.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

My 12 years old Sanyo fridge just "up lorry", any brand to go for/avoid and the reason?

My budget is S$1,000 and below, just a simple one will do.

Please advise. Thank you.

just last month my hitachi fridge died after working non-stop for 16 years. Replaced it with a Panasonic.

Went to Courts to search for replacement and as usual, made the purchase at a neighbourhood shop for a cheaper price.

Edited by BoneStock

fisher and paykel fridge is solid

been using one for 10 years...still going strong

Sanyo fridge also not bad

if u are born in the 70s, u ever notice those sanyo fans with metal blades?

my grandma house got one....

i think its been there for almost 30 years and still working fine!

Mine is Mitsubishi since 1993! Still going strong and almost like new!

Wah SAY!! 17 years old and going strong? I thought Mitsubishi only make cars? har har no lah

joking with you bro. [laugh][laugh]

I supposed it is MIJ? My Sanyo MIJ, that's why quite lasting. [:p]

I got Mitsubishi MR-F51X from Goh Ah Bee, $910 inc GST/delivery.

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/index...0&Itemid=84

Hey bro, this one looks like the right size for me. I'll think I'll pay GAB a visit this weekend.

My fridge is now cleared of all perishables due to some funny odour *sniff sniff*, left only some packet drinks

and a jug of water. The smell is already an indicator of the fridge giving way liao [:(]

my last sanyo fridge also died the same way. i turned if off for 3 weeks, on again not cold. lasted 17 years.

Strange hor these machines?? Just like humans [lipsrsealed]

I gues you'll leave it turned on. Old mechinery needs life support equipment to sustain. [wave]

Refrigerator is one of the largest energy user in the house.

Go for invertors and 4 ticks.

Also, NEA makes it compulsory to display power comsumption.

That would narrow down your choices, base on needs.

If space is not a constraint, maybe relook at the size of current fridge, over or under size.

Currently, I am using Kelvinator made by Fisher & Parker (NZ made). 13 years already. So far all OK except replace door magnetic gaskets once. The next one I'll get should be a side by side fridge, or still a bottom freezer. F&P or panasonic.

Sound advice you have there bro, btw is your fridge Terminator's brudder? [laugh] Asta la vista, baby! [:p]

Your Sanyo lasted 12 years and you consider another brand?

Where is the brand loyalty?

==============

My previous Kelvinator lasted 20 years but I changed to a Samsung due to cost. [blush]

But honestly, the Samsung is not as good as the Kelvinator. [smallcry]

My current one is MayTag. Very solid fridge.

Until today more than 10 yrs still looking good like new.

But it's slightly more expensive at that time about $1.5k

===============

I had a Maytag in my food stall last time but it didnt last. To repair was damm ex so I just changed it.

Maytag is USA made if I am not wrong.

I bought an F&P fridge.... more than 7yrs ago..... i used it for about 4 years w/o any issue. Then I had to relocate. So I switch it off, wrapped it up and sent it for storage for 2 years.... then when I came back 2 yrs later, moved into a new place, got back the F&P fridge, plugged it in and the freezing unit conked off..... I could no longer get ice....

Tried to fix it but somehow it just refuses to work..... So I bought a panasonic to replace it.

============

I was told by pple who deliver fridge that u cannot switch on the unit immediately after delivery. Must wait a couple of hours cos it has something to do with letting the gas settle 1st.

These machines seem to conk out if you pull their plugs. I guess it could be they are meant to be on 24/7?

=============

Must wait a couple of hours after delivery to let the gas settle b4 switching on. This is what the delivery pple told me.

Your fridge wil last much longer like that.

==============

My previous Kelvinator lasted 20 years but I changed to a Samsung due to cost. [blush]

But honestly, the Samsung is not as good as the Kelvinator. [smallcry]

Didn't know fridge can last so long! :o

Kelvinator is F&P made?

One thing is that I know CO sure want to get MIJ sushi brand one.

F&P [:/]Mitsubishi

============

I was told by pple who deliver fridge that u cannot switch on the unit immediately after delivery. Must wait a couple of hours cos it has something to do with letting the gas settle 1st.

Arhh . . . so it is true. Must keep that in mind.

Thought it sounded like american. If pricey can forget it, got budget constraint [sweatdrop] hee heh [:p]

=============

Aiyah just get a Samsung or LG can already. Cheap & good.

Or even Sharp now cheap. In fact most fridges r not ex anymore. Only thing is r they good or not?

If its made in China, I wud give it a miss cos I dont trust anything thats made there. Thai, Korea or even MY is common now.

If my cheap $600 fridge can last 10 years, I wil b satisfied. Only $60/year or $5/month is acceptable to me.

Twincharged

Make sure you measure the base and height available in the kitchen. And bring a tape measure to the shop.

Cos when you see nice shiny new fridges.... you will want bigger and bigger ones... then size becomes a problem hahahaha :)

Supersonic

===============

I had a Maytag in my food stall last time but it didnt last. To repair was damm ex so I just changed it.

Maytag is USA made if I am not wrong.

Food stall usage might be different compared to home usage.

Didn't know fridge can last so long! :o

Kelvinator is F&P made?

One thing is that I know CO sure want to get MIJ sushi brand one.

F&P [:/]Mitsubishi

============

Mine not made by F & P.

Earlier Kelvinator I bought was made in Italy but after that I bought 1 that was made in I cant quite remember but I think was Phillipines. But their quality is damm good.

When the 2nd 1 spoil it was the blower motor that cycles air throughout the fridge & I checked around a replacement motor costs >$100 & I cud DIY the change but I found out the motor was made in China so I just forget about repair & got a new fridge.

Now very hard to find a MIJ fridge. Most Jap brand is made elsewhere. If still MIJ it wil be quite EX.

↡ Advertisement