Matte black paint job

Ssbcc

I've noticed that some cars have this matte black color (like the Batmobile). I think it looks cool on certain cars. Can the bro's out there enlighten me as to how to achieve this effect?

↡ Advertisement

I've noticed that some cars have this matte black color (like the Batmobile). I think it looks cool on certain cars. Can the bro's out there enlighten me as to how to achieve this effect?

25592391407_large.jpg

Wrapping. :)

So it's not paint? Any idea how much it costs? And how durable it is? (ie. will it fly off when you're driving? [:p] )

So it's not paint? Any idea how much it costs? And how durable it is? (ie. will it fly off when you're driving? [:p] )

Ok there are two options here, cos i'm looking at getting this done myself later this year:

1. Matte black spray painting

Matte black spray painting is technically very challenging apparently. There's a very renowned guy called Ah Long who is working for Lambo, apparently has a 6 month waiting list or something like that, will cost $$$$. Trying to get him no. will PM you if you are interested.

Problem with sub-standard paint jobs is that after a few days and washes, the matte black paint gets blotchy, which is evident close-up.

2. Matte black stickers

This is good option for normal sized cars. For GTR and similar sized/larger cars, won't be as nice. Reason is bcos the stickers come in standard size, which is smaller than the bonnet. So you end up seeing the lines when you look close-up. For normal sedan (e.g. Evo), sticker is indeed an option.

Also, when you take off the stickers, the underlying paint job will definitely sustain some light damage. The stickers are adhesive and will pull off the underlying paint. Told to me by a race car decal artist.

In either scenario, you need to be prepared for the car to be out of action for 1 week thereabts.

Also, if stickers are used, they do come off with time apparently, so re-sticking may be required. In any case, near exhaust, stickers won't last, the heat simply crumples them up.

Not sure about the bonnet, but if it's inside the engine bay, even along the rim, it will melt. I had a HKS sticker stuck there by Garage, which melted within 1 drive.

One quick question, are MATTE colours approved by LTA? If no means new cars do liao 3 yrs later must remove... shag leh n waste $$$$. I checked the pricing for full matte black wrapping n it varies from $800-$1800....

That is some serious $$$.

The cost and the fact that it isn't so durable is a bit discouraging...

But why would it be not approved by LTA- it doesn't cause any danger to anybody.

One quick question, are MATTE colours approved by LTA? If no means new cars do liao 3 yrs later must remove... shag leh n waste $$$$. I checked the pricing for full matte black wrapping n it varies from $800-$1800....

I oso not sure. But technically speaking, a complete Matte sticker is not a paint job and does not require prior disclosure to LTA (to my knowledge, only if you change the colour of the car paint). You can take off the stickers and get a f***ed up paint job, but again i don't think LTA requires car owners to disclosure blotched paint jobs.

Matte coloured paint job, probably need to inform them, though i really don't know whether they are able to recognize the matte colour as a variant to the base colour. Means to say, red car to matte red, not sure if the LTA is able to "recognize" it as a separate colour, although Tango Papa will certainly spot you from across the crossway.... So be warned, matte is loud, worse with decat. Only less than 10 exotic cars with matte body, and prolly less than 20 cars in Singapore...

Ok there are two options here, cos i'm looking at getting this done myself later this year:

1. Matte black spray painting

Matte black spray painting is technically very challenging apparently. There's a very renowned guy called Ah Long who is working for Lambo, apparently has a 6 month waiting list or something like that, will cost $$$$. Trying to get him no. will PM you if you are interested.

Problem with sub-standard paint jobs is that after a few days and washes, the matte black paint gets blotchy, which is evident close-up.

2. Matte black stickers

This is good option for normal sized cars. For GTR and similar sized/larger cars, won't be as nice. Reason is bcos the stickers come in standard size, which is smaller than the bonnet. So you end up seeing the lines when you look close-up. For normal sedan (e.g. Evo), sticker is indeed an option.

Also, when you take off the stickers, the underlying paint job will definitely sustain some light damage. The stickers are adhesive and will pull off the underlying paint. Told to me by a race car decal artist.

In either scenario, you need to be prepared for the car to be out of action for 1 week thereabts.

hello, you are giving the wrong info. the stickers do not come in standard size.

(edited)

Out of curiosity, how do people maintain or detail matte paint or matte stickers?

Cool maybe, but I still prefer my car to be glossy & shiny. [:p]

Edited by Kiadaw

hello, you are giving the wrong info. the stickers do not come in standard size.

Beats me bro. The sticker guy said there's a max dimension, yeah i guess there could be smaller sizes, but his point was dat the max dimension don't fit a large car. Cos i was there with my GTR, he said don't do it...

(edited)

Interesting, cos one of the cars I saw in matte black was a GTR. (Batmobile!)

Edited by Ssbcc

Out of curiosity, how do people maintain or detail matte paint or matte stickers?

Cool maybe, but I still prefer my car to be glossy & shiny. [:p]

Haha, bro, when r you free let's go to GR, there's oso a sticker shop there...

Do you want to have more elaborate Arsenal artwork on your ride? It's quite economical really...

(edited)

Interesting, cos one of the cars I saw in matte black was a GTR. (Batmobile!)

Yeah, there's one Matte Black sticker GTR in SG, also featured on NAGTROC. There's even a Pink GTR (Donut King GTR, don't think there's Matte Pink, cos Pink is just Pink) ard in SG, and also a Green one.

I wanted to do Matte Black sticker, but was told by the sticker man himself it's really a hassle and better off spray painting, due to the fact the there'll be visible lines on the joints of the stickers, and near the hot areas, stickers won't last.

Then Matte Black paint, was told you need to find Ah Long, who works for Lambo apparently. But Looong waiting time...

Edited by Zangetsu77

Haha, bro, when r you free let's go to GR, there's oso a sticker shop there...

Do you want to have more elaborate Arsenal artwork on your ride? It's quite economical really...

That time say want to meet up kopi. I wait every night for a week, even chio bu ask me out for the night I also kindly turn down, in hope you will call me.

:angry:

hehe. Kidding lah. I also bz.

On a serious note, I am not so into sticker lah. At most put 1 or 2 small small one to "personalize" abit lah.

But if you go down do sticker, can call me lah, I can go there to "bai swee" & give some "artistic" advice. hehe

(edited)

Then Matte Black paint, was told you need to find Ah Long, who works for Lambo apparently. But Looong waiting time...

Maybe thats how he got his name. Hehe

Edited by Kiadaw

But I suppose matte surface would increase the drag and therefore affect performance (may be just marginally).

Paiseh paiseh, getting old la... Every Fri FQ sms, i try very hard to get out of house... But next thing i know the sun rise already... Seriously, next Tuesday late afternoon? I'll SMS you, still got your contact...

↡ Advertisement