Accident in Carpark

Icekitten

img0328a.jpg

img0325az.jpg

img0330f.jpg

img0329to.jpg

img3736ap.jpg

img00111201007201926a.jpg

Yesterday I had an accident at Rivervale Mall carpark.

This Latio was two cars in front of me and was parking. After he had parked fully into his lot, the car in front of me passed him and I put on my hazard lights to signal my intention to park in the empty lot opposite the Latio.

With hazard lights on, I slowed down and stopped just past the lot I was going to park in. Upon checking my rear and seeing that the car behind me had stopped a distance away to allow me to park, I proceeded to reverse into the lot. Traffic behind me was clear and the Latio was fully in its lot.

I wasn't going fast at all, just normal parking speed and had been reversing for about 2-3 seconds. Was just making the full-lock turn into the lot when without warning, the Latio dashed straight out of its lot then I felt and heard impact at my rear left corner.

Hubby was in my passenger seat and witnessed everything. We got out of the car, immediately the Latio driver said, "I was already here, how can you reverse into me?"

Was damn hot when I heard that! Obviously they were trying to push blame to me! The Latio driver's wife who was a shrieky office-lady san bat por type even shouted at me, "Do you know how to drive or not? How long have you been driving?" I was too busy arguing with her hubby to retort back to her. My hubby was busy calling ppl to seek advice on the situation.

I said to the Latio driver, "Didn't you see me reversing? I already signalled my intention to park long ago, even the car behind me stopped far away to wait for me to park already. How can you just chiong out like that? What are you trying to do?"

Which apparently, the Latio driver was trying to adjust his parking. Probably wanted to shift his car nearer to the pillar, scared car beside knock his car door. He claimed that he needed to adjust his car and that it was straddling two lots. Photos tell that he was already well within his lot boundaries. And he showed no sign beforehand that he needed to adjust his parking. No head out or anything. At no point did he horn too. I was the second car to pass the Latio when it was already parked fully into its lot. And his defence and retort: "You are reversing, you have to check what."

I scolded the Latio driver, "You want to adjust your car you don't have to look out for traffic on the main road ah? I was already reversing. I did signal and the car behind me already stopped. Who said I didn't check? You were already parked in your lot when I started to reverse. How can you not know that I'm parking? You didn't see me reversing meh?"

To which he answered, "Got."

"And then you still chiong out?!"

His only retort, "You are reversing, you must check ma."

His stupid wife was shrieking away. At one point she pissed my hubby off and my hubby scolded vulgar language. She then shouted at her hubby in Chinese, "Eh, he scold you vulgar language leh, quick! Pai xia lai! (Take video) I want to report police!" The hubby told me he wants to call TP down, which I said, "Don't bother, TP won't come if there is no personal injury."

I had not even brought up the issue of damages but from their attitude, it's damn clear they are not intending to compensate me and expecting me to compensate them instead. I got damn fed up and told them , "Forget it la, no point arguing already. Call your insurance. Just make report and let them fight lor."

My hubby was not very keen at first, coz he heard that this kind of case is difficult and we have 40% NCD. I said, "Then? What kind of private settlement? They are obviously not going to pay us. I am not going to pay them for sure!"

Hubby did not insist either because he witnessed everything and knew that it was the Latio driver who chut stunt. So exchanged particulars and I began taking photos of the scene and damage.

At that point of time, was so caught up in the situation that we neglected the fact that the car waiting for us to park was there watching all the time and was a witness to the accident. By the time I'd remembered, that car had already gone elsewhere to park and it was just a common silver car which I could not pinpoint. If this driver happens to come across this, I hope you can step forward as a witness that I was already reversing when the Latio came out of its lot without warning, and not that the Latio driver came out before I started to reverse.

As seen from photos, swipe marks at the side of the Latio's front bumper and a dent at the corner of its fender. My ride had swipe marks from just beside the corner of the rear bumper to the rear. And my rear light had a swipe mark too.

Anybody got caught in a case like this before? How was the outcome?

I feel indignant that the NCD thingie could've caused my hubby to even consider negotiating a private settlement for the sake of not losing NCD. Although he has his valid concern. If I'd been in the wrong and drove recklessly or whatever, I would've just said sorry and settled privately. It's not that ex since the repairs are minor. But it is way ridiculous that I have to pay the Latio driver who is the one who chut stunt. Esp when the couple and esp the wife showed the kind of attitude they did.

Going to make report at IDAC later.

↡ Advertisement

Unfortunately from the picture, it seems that you reverse into the Latio.

Meaning the Latio was " out " and you reverse to bang into it.

Not sure how / what they are going to say in their accident report so it may be to your disadvantage

I would think it is 50/50 kind of thing....unless you can prove they're staging the accident to make claim....

Bro, you are really unlucky.

You reverse, the other move. By right, you should be more careful but when this angle of reversing, you are likely to check your ride mirror to avoid the pillar so unable to see the latio. What you can do is to "lie" to the insurance that you are moving forward to exit the carpark then the latio hit you as you are waiting for other car infront to move off. Otherwise, claims is against you even you are right.

well... from my understanding is u have the right of way. as the latio is considered as exiting the lot therefore he has to wait till all clear before coming outta the lot. the pics yes it somewad shows the u reversed into the lot but i also see clearly that the latio is otw outta the lot.

my take just go claim the bugger. u should win.

Bro, you are really unlucky.

You reverse, the other move. By right, you should be more careful but when this angle of reversing, you are likely to check your ride mirror to avoid the pillar so unable to see the latio. What you can do is to "lie" to the insurance that you are moving forward to exit the carpark then the latio hit you as you are waiting for other car infront to move off. Otherwise, claims is against you even you are right.

i think she is a sis.

i think she is a sis.

From pix....TS looks to be at fault...tho I fully understand what TS said could really happen (I have a few such close shaves). Best is see if there are witness in that carpark eg. those waiting for TS to park, etc...

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

from the pic i see, ur car only suffer scratches?? Latio got dent. But if based on what you said, you are the right party than the Latio. But if both of you write the incident and report to insurance, Latio will write his version and you write your version... In this case end up 50-50 liao. Coz he can say you never signal la, all nonsense to support that you are wrong... Since during driving lesson, we learnt to check before parking and check and check which you mention that you did, then come out an idiot shoot out... a bit sianz...

One bad thing that you forget is to get hold of that witness... if that's the case, there is no witness so pictures are the best witness for you liao...

But still, is a a bit tricky... Latio insurance is it NTUC? if yes, damn sian la.. NTUC got a lot of pattern to siam all this kind of 50-50 accidents.

When did it happen?

But like what your hubby said is right, he is more concerned about NCD. So by settling outside will it be cheaper than losing the NCD?? have to think of the worst case scenario..

Edited by Jojo1

Obviously the impact came from Latio. Only upon impact then the fender will have bents. Should be a win case. Don't let such bugger off..

Check with the Mall Security whether their CCTV had captured the incident cos nowadays there're CCTV in car parks too.. Might help you with the case..

well... from my understanding is u have the right of way. as the latio is considered as exiting the lot therefore he has to wait till all clear before coming outta the lot. the pics yes it somewad shows the u reversed into the lot but i also see clearly that the latio is otw outta the lot.

my take just go claim the bugger. u should win.

Buy a in car camera and setup in the back lo.. a hundred bucks now can save u a ton of paperwork and no need waste saliva argue with such shitty guilty people.. telll them see camera footage can liao.. no need argue... [cool]

IMHO, you have the right of way even tho u reversing, and the idiot Latio MUST clear all sides before exit from the car park lot into the main traffic flow..

I can understand TS sentiments.

The most vulnerable place for accidents is actually car parks becos that's where drivers generally let their guard down.

I hope you are able to settle ya matter and pl update us.

usu carpark cases are 50-50...from the pics, the latio is indeed more "front" than you and it seems you have reversed into it...dun play play with the NCD...yes our insurance here sucks but no choice....suggest now that both parties may have cooled down, to sit down and settle privately...

good luck..

I just dun understand those drivers that cannot wait till the traffic is clear before adjusting their car.

and why they have to cheong out at fast speed. meet a dumb jazz driver once in compasspoint.

I wait till him park in his lot, then when i was about to past he bloody cheong out then reverse back slowly. [furious][furious]

lucky able to brake in time.

really dun know what this type of people is thinking [thumbsdown]

I don't think its all your fault la...

Cos that Latio should check first before the driver comes out wad...

Though he looks more like "kan chiong spider" type....

Both of your should check in the first place...

But the thing is, did either of your horn ??????

[:)]

↡ Advertisement