Cleaning of polishing pad

Goodspeed

Hi to all,

I have recently picked up a Porter Cable 7424XP and some LC polishing pads.

Enjoying every minute with these.

However how do you all clean your pads?

I understand that some use a bucket of soap and sort of spin them clean.

Can i instead use washing detergent to clean?

Hand wash ?

When then need to change pad?

[:p]

↡ Advertisement

This is what I normally do..

Soak in warm water with detergent powder..leave it overnight..the next day..I will put detergent powder on surface..use either hand or a soft brush to rub off the polishes..

As for how long you can use the pads depends on the frequency u use...i replace my wool pads after 1 or 2 usage..cutting pad until it dun really cut and can see it starts to create fine hairlines..finishing pads will last you longer..

Edited by Optivax

Neutral Newbie

Hi to all,

I have recently picked up a Porter Cable 7424XP and some LC polishing pads.

Enjoying every minute with these.

However how do you all clean your pads?

I understand that some use a bucket of soap and sort of spin them clean.

Can i instead use washing detergent to clean?

Hand wash ?

When then need to change pad?

[:p]

Which LC pads do you have? The CCS or the Flat?

Anyway, about cleaning the pads, it all depends on what polish you use. Basically, there are two type of polishes, one is water based and the other is oil based.

For water based polishes, it's very easy to clean. Spray some diluted APC or soapy water would do.

For oil based polishes or polish that contained oil/silicon, you'd need something that can dissolve oil. For this, you can use diluted dishwashing liquid.

On both occasions, what I do is the followings:

1. Spray the APC or detergent onto the face of the pad

2. Let it soak for a few minutes (I prefer around 1/2 hr)

3. Work it in with your thumb

4. Rinse and squeeze under running water to remove the polish and detergent residue.

5. With the CCS DA pads you can press/wring dry.

6. Attach the pads to the DA and spin dry on speed 5 or 6.

7. Leave to air dry (do not dry directly under the sun)

Just a side note, you might need to use the dishwashing liquid and do it a few times if you're using the pad to apply liquid sealant as they are the most stubborn to clean. So far I only found one thing that can effectively remove liquid sealant from the pads - Dawn Power Dissolver. And I do find that Optimum Power Clean is the best cleaner for the pads.

Best of regards.

Which LC pads do you have? The CCS or the Flat?

Anyway, about cleaning the pads, it all depends on what polish you use. Basically, there are two type of polishes, one is water based and the other is oil based.

For water based polishes, it's very easy to clean. Spray some diluted APC or soapy water would do.

For oil based polishes or polish that contained oil/silicon, you'd need something that can dissolve oil. For this, you can use diluted dishwashing liquid.

On both occasions, what I do is the followings:

1. Spray the APC or detergent onto the face of the pad

2. Let it soak for a few minutes (I prefer around 1/2 hr)

3. Work it in with your thumb

4. Rinse and squeeze under running water to remove the polish and detergent residue.

5. With the CCS DA pads you can press/wring dry.

6. Attach the pads to the DA and spin dry on speed 5 or 6.

7. Leave to air dry (do not dry directly under the sun)

Just a side note, you might need to use the dishwashing liquid and do it a few times if you're using the pad to apply liquid sealant as they are the most stubborn to clean. So far I only found one thing that can effectively remove liquid sealant from the pads - Dawn Power Dissolver. And I do find that Optimum Power Clean is the best cleaner for the pads.

Best of regards.

Hi Bro...

I am using the LC flat type

I am using orange pad with Meguiar Ultimate compound follow by white pad with Mazerna Super finish.

Are they oil or water base?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bro...

I am using the LC flat type

I am using orange pad with Meguiar Ultimate compound follow by white pad with Mazerna Super finish.

Are they oil or water base?

Meg's UC is water based so cleaning it would be easy.

Did you mean Menz Power Finish 106FA, grayish in color? If that's so then it's polishing oil is a bit harder to wash off. You'd need a degreaser to effectively remove that. Something like Optimum Power Clean, Meg's Super Degreaser, DG Ultimate Orange or the like. If not, dishwashing liquid would do but make sure you rinse very well.

Regards.

Bro...u are rite.

I wash the orange pad coated with UC with ease.

However when i wash the white pad with Super finish, quite hard.

Neutral Newbie

That's a very good advise about washing the car without causing much harm to the polish. This something that people are not quite efficient at following as this something that really matters. You should not be exerting much pressure on the polish as there is chance that it might damage the polish. The soft polishing pad you use should be changed at regular intervals.

Neutral Newbie

I use my DIY pad washer. hahaha

Either that i will clean with Megs APC and agitate with my fingers or let it soak overnight in CG MF cleaner.

But till now i still can seem to get my blue pads totally clean of BF WetDiamond. ZZ

Neutral Newbie

But till now i still can seem to get my blue pads totally clean of BF WetDiamond. ZZ

Have you tried Dawn Power Dissolver? Don't know about BFWD but I've successfully removed zaino, dg, megs nxt, m21 and most other sealants using it.

Below is 50/50 of meg's W9006, left side is M21 leftovers after using all sort of APC and degreaser, right is after using DPD.

2667240922_3974afc675.jpg

I did use the dish soap to wash my pads before, even after reading online that it will degrade the glue that is holding the pad and the velcro together.

One of my 5.5 CCS pad seperated.. :(

Neutral Newbie

Depends on what kind of polishes yo have also.

The most common one will be LC white polishing pad.

But currently my go to one stepper will be the LC Tangerine pad + M205

Depends on what kind of polishes yo have also.

The most common one will be LC white polishing pad.

But currently my go to one stepper will be the LC Tangerine pad + M205

Hi bro me using dg 111n dg105,may I know where can I buy those pad ? :huh:

Neutral Newbie

Try those Lake Country pad washer. I wash the pad every 1-2 panels to ensure a very good job.

Consider the better result and less time consumed, it is a good product.

Try those Lake Country pad washer. I wash the pad every 1-2 panels to ensure a very good job.

Consider the better result and less time consumed, it is a good product.

Where can I buy ?

↡ Advertisement