Help - Neigbhour complained of damage to his wall tiles....

Fooblack

Hi

Need advise.

1st time hack wall for my new home. Quite extensive hacking.. total about 3 pieces of wall gone liao...

my neighbour a few units away (not immediate left or right or below), complained due to the vibration effects of the wall hacking, his wall tiles in his kitchen has damaged. I saw the damage and a small crack.

I am wondering whether such things can happen? the owner happen to be ID so he has explaining that this is quite common...

I am just concerned whether i am being ripped...

anyone has such similar experience?

↡ Advertisement

Ask your contractors. Otherwise ask your neighbour to prove it.

Should not be even possible unless his tiles were very inferior in the 1st place?

Unlikely actually, if its just wall hacking and the allegedly affected house is a few units away. I assume its landed. It should not happen unless you are doing piling in which case, your contractor's insurance would have done its work e.g. taking photos of external and internal areas of possibly-affected house.

i dun see why ur house hacking must be responsible for any area of effect...LOL

one thing for sure...u gonna have a picky neighbour...

Turbocharged

never hear of this before... crazy lah

Like that those landed who tear down and rebuilt must pay for the repair cost for the whole row of terrace house....

[idea][idea]

Hi

Need advise.

1st time hack wall for my new home. Quite extensive hacking.. total about 3 pieces of wall gone liao...

my neighbour a few units away (not immediate left or right or below), complained due to the vibration effects of the wall hacking, his wall tiles in his kitchen has damaged. I saw the damage and a small crack.

I am wondering whether such things can happen? the owner happen to be ID so he has explaining that this is quite common...

Bro, that neighbour of yours is trying to pull a fast one. Imagine this :-

My wall tiles are of inferior quality or maybe due to wear and tear or even due to my own fault, my walls develope cracks. No money to repair or want to cut-cost so heck care until . . . . a neighbour, any neighbour starts to do renovation . . . .an idea struck! [idea]

You know what I mean? [nod] Yes, you may have been conned into believing that your reno did the damage.

There's no reason why you should give in and admit, make him prove it.

Cannot prove, too bad! No case.

Check with your contractor and see what he says.

Edited by Vroomtattat

like what subutai mention, ask your neighbour to proof that his tiles was damaged by the vibration during hacking. There are thousand and one reason that tiles can cracked or pop up. Even without doing anything, tiles can also pop up from the floor. What make him so confident that his tiles damages was caused by your hacking work?

If his unit is affected, then the rest of the unit that is closer to your unit should suffer even greater damage. Otherwise, he can only say that his renovation work is sucks and better ask him dont work as an ID liao, go and work as table cleaner better...

Well if u treasure future harmony then pay them money to settle.

But then hor, hack walls not structural leh, how can it affect another unit that is not immediately left right up down of yours.

My finaly analysis is that this neighbour of yours is a real farker! Your few days of hacking must have angered them to come out to accuse u to claims some money from you.

Pay or not pay, this neighbour will not be your good neoghbour in future for sure!

Complain to Whoeverever is in charge of the building structural safety to get them to check on your neighbours' crack tiles as there could be bigger issues. Tell your neighbour to pay for the checks and if civil surveyor confirmed the crack is due to your hacking, u will pay the full costs!

Haven move in already got unhappy neighbours'......I would hate to be in your shoes!

Hi

Need advise.

its possible, happened to my neighbour because new flats these days have very thin walls.

those who lived in older hdb flats will not experience it because they got thicker walls

Neutral Newbie

"He is in ID" but he is no C&S engineer or shock and vibration expert... do you see the tiles on the MRT platform crack? when the trains roll in also got a lot of vibration... if it's really due to your wall hacking, then I would say that the workmanship of his wall tiles is poor... but then again, if it's indeed the wall hacking that caused it, then why did it affect just a few tiles??

its possible, happened to my neighbour because new flats these days have very thin walls.

those who lived in older hdb flats will not experience it because they got thicker walls

ok, then it should be hdb fault, simple as that. :D

Just check with neighbours in more proximity to your walls whether they suffered any such damages (I guess it can't be!!!) unless you blast your walls to tear them down! Otherwise I think he is just trying his luck to con you to get some money!!!

You can don't pay oso. Wat can he do? It is very likely dat his wall tiles were not properly done up due to contractor cutting corners. Can cnfm his tiles are hollow and white cement or maybe even plaster was used, not durable.

No need to worry. Just boh chup. Who knows his tiles were already damaged b4 u started reno.

Neutral Newbie

No worries, its not your responsibility. The best you can "help" your neighbour is to refer them to your contractor & nothing more.

Only your contractor answers to your neighbour, not you.

Thanks for all the replies... the unit is a pte apartment..

sigh, this seems to be a lose-lose situation.

If the damage is real, there is not much ways to prove it unless he has videoed down the tiles cracking when the hacking was being performed. If it is real and I bo chup, I risk losing a good neighbour (even before I move in!).

If I soft-heart and agree to compensate, I believe my contractor wont bear a single cent. I will always live in doubt whether I have been ripped...

Thanks for all the replies... the unit is a pte apartment..

sigh, this seems to be a lose-lose situation.

If the damage is real, there is not much ways to prove it unless he has videoed down the tiles cracking when the hacking was being performed. If it is real and I bo chup, I risk losing a good neighbour (even before I move in!).

If I soft-heart and agree to compensate, I believe my contractor wont bear a single cent. I will always live in doubt whether I have been ripped...

Sure or not u actually want to pay? Why so eager to gain his approval when not related to you in any way?