Where to buy Touch-n-GO when driving to Malaysia

Cammys_MR

pai sei,, I am a real noob when coming to driving to malaysia. [crazy]

the last time i drive there was 6 year (2013) to lego land convoying with 2 other cars, my TNG also deactivated liao.

now my noob question, where do we pay the toll huh, jb ciq? but dont have TNG card how to drive over to buy if cant even cross

the barrier..

backside itchy go volunteer to drive my foreign friend to JB for sea food :a-bang:.

if GPS die than i am screwed.

Just go via Woodlands and when you are at Malaysia custom, go to booth 10 and purchase your card there
↡ Advertisement

Going in by tuas, previously we can top up tng card at the toll booth on ns highway after immigration, where there is a lane for that. What about now when the new toll is at each immigration counter? Any top up counters there? Thanks

Going in by tuas, previously we can top up tng card at the toll booth on ns highway after immigration, where there is a lane for that. What about now when the new toll is at each immigration counter? Any top up counters there? Thanks

updating myself.... if going in via tuas, there is a tng top up counter at the far right among the Malaysian immigaration counters. Its not passable to cars. You have to alight and walk to it. So if you're not sure if you have enough in your card,  stick to the rightmost lane to be close to it.

• Praise 1

TnG got exxpire date? if didnt until for 12months will turn inactive mah? (and have to reactivate?)

Yes.  Mine was deactivated for not using within 12 mths and the value inside can  be used.  Cannot transfer to another card.  Only can refund at TNG office.  It took 6 mths for my friend to get back the refund by cheque.  They convert his value into SGD.   

• Praise 1

You can also topup Touch n Go card at their branch outside d JB CIQ. If u are passing d Petronas and Shell station a few metres down there are shoplots parallel to d road. Touch n Go branch is there. Note that topping up at their branches and office no 50cents service charge.

Most petrol stations have topup but have service charge. Sometimes when u topup $100 they do $50 entry twice n collect $1.

Petrol stations along d N-S Highway also topup. Sometimes no service charge. I know Petronas at Machap is free.

Most toll gate office can topup and some toll booth has topup facilities. Look out for a red LED panel above d booth that reads Tambah Nilai meaning Add Value. If d panel is Off then no topping up.

If u going to East Coast then topup more bcos there very little topup places. I normally topup $300 from JB.

• Praise 1

If u are going thro toll gate alot especially in KL, it is better to buy Smart Tag. Similar to Spore ERP unit. It is battery operated. U can put it away in d glove compartment when not in use. It will work when unit is put on d dasboard. Quite sensitive. Special booth for Smart Tag so save queing. Also save your window tint from scratches when u open/close it everytime u use TnG. RM120 only.

• Praise 1

If u are going thro toll gate alot especially in KL, it is better to buy Smart Tag. Similar to Spore ERP unit. It is battery operated. U can put it away in d glove compartment when not in use. It will work when unit is put on d dasboard. Quite sensitive. Special booth for Smart Tag so save queing. Also save your window tint from scratches when u open/close it everytime u use TnG. RM120 only.

Much less point now. Given that Road Charge needs TnG (Smart Tag cannot be used). Just use one system for all. Smart Tag often fails to work properly anyway, and you still need to slow down around the gantry.

As for spoiling the tint...sigh. The average road trip to Malaysia does enough damage to one's car to make worrying about scratches on the window tint just silly. Stone chips being the chief culprit.

• Praise 2

You can also topup Touch n Go card at their branch outside d JB CIQ. If u are passing d Petronas and Shell station a few metres down there are shoplots parallel to d road. Touch n Go branch is there. Note that topping up at their branches and office no 50cents service charge.

Most petrol stations have topup but have service charge. Sometimes when u topup $100 they do $50 entry twice n collect $1.

Petrol stations along d N-S Highway also topup. Sometimes no service charge. I know Petronas at Machap is free.

Most toll gate office can topup and some toll booth has topup facilities. Look out for a red LED panel above d booth that reads Tambah Nilai meaning Add Value. If d panel is Off then no topping up.

If u going to East Coast then topup more bcos there very little topup places. I normally topup $300 from JB.

Thanks for the info.

Wow!  You top up so much RM300! Must remember to use the card within 1 year.  Card will be deactivate once it remains unused for more than a year.  It happens to my card - luckily only RM28.70.  I'll wait till I go NSH then I do the refund. 

Supersonic

Thanks for the info.

Wow!  You top up so much RM300! Must remember to use the card within 1 year.  Card will be deactivate once it remains unused for more than a year.  It happens to my card - luckily only RM28.70.  I'll wait till I go NSH then I do the refund. 

You mean when the card is deactivated, you cant get back the balance left in the card?

(edited)

You mean when the card is deactivated, you cant get back the balance left in the card?

Can but you need to go touch and go office.  My friend went to TNG office at yong peng NSH.  Surrender the deactivate card and fill up a form.  My friend waited approx 6.5 months for the cheque to be sent to them.  They will minus some admin fee and converted the RM to SGD by cheque. 

There is also a touch and go office in JB (near the petrol kiosk after custom) and in KL.

http://www.touchngo.com.my/CMS/Personal/Customer-Service/Customer-Service/

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 1

As long as u use d TnG card it is valid. If 1 year of disuse will make it invalid. My card is a few years old.

Must note that u can still topup an expired card. If u do at petrol station beware. If expire to long, u cant get your money back. Just like Autopass card for Msian.

TnG has a life. So when expire. U need to go a big office like Yong Peng and get a new one. They will transfer d value of d old card to new one.

Another point is anybody can use d card. So relative/friend can borrow for making occasional trips.

• Praise 1

Yes. If dun use d TnG then give/sell to others who do. Some carparks in JB use TnG like Persada exhibition centre. Its next to Pan Pac hotel.

In KL d LRT uses it and others. Dun forget TnG is a cashcard.

I topup $300 only when I go to Kuala Trengganu. Lack of topping up places. Sometimes not enough. JB to KL alone is about $45. East Coast highway go right up to Paka. ĶL is full of toll gates. To n fro is alot of money. I try to keep to paid highway bcos nowadays normal roads are congested and plenty of traffic lights in town areas. Waste of time and no savings.

• Praise 1

I topup $300 only when I go to Kuala Trengganu. Lack of topping up places. Sometimes not enough. JB to KL alone is about $45. East Coast highway go right up to Paka. ĶL is full of toll gates. To n fro is alot of money. I try to keep to paid highway bcos nowadays normal roads are congested and plenty of traffic lights in town areas. Waste of time and no savings.

OIC.

Yes.  Mine was deactivated for not using within 12 mths and the value inside can  be used.  Cannot transfer to another card.  Only can refund at TNG office.  It took 6 mths for my friend to get back the refund by cheque.  They convert his value into SGD.   

Yep, I experienced this before. Top up RM200 into one TNG Card and went through the JB Customs in the morning. In the evening, on returning, couldn't tap off at the TNG Gantry and an Officer walked towards me to pronounce that my card has expired and cannot be used. Told to held to TNG office which is located about 100 M away from the Shell Petrol Kiosk at Johor Sentral and was told that they can only do bank transfer to a Malaysian Bank Account. Took a few months before this was resolved though.

Interesting fact is that upon topping up, was able to enter JB but then cannot when returning. Was told by some seasoned drivers that I had top up too much monies inside the card and they just want to withhold the money for a period of time instead. So sine then, continue to have two cards, alternate the usage when entering and leaving JB and make sure that I do not have anything in excess of RM200 in the cards anytime.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2