Drive Trip to Hua Hin - Gauging Interest

Dwoon

(edited)

Bro Fongmy,

I may be interested too. I did a SG-genting-KL-Hat yai-koh samui-hat yai-KL-SG recently but not in my car as my car is similiar to Dwoon's - fussy abt petrol and need min Ron97 [bigcry]. Carpool with my friend in his CX-9 fm KL.

However if only to Hat Yai and back to MY, my car can make it without refuelling in thailand.

Rgds,

John

Hi, Bro JohnSHL,

Good Day.

I'm glad to hear that you did this long distance driving trip all the way to koh samui and the ride was especially a superb CX-9 :wub: what a beautiful SUV to travel [thumbsup]

The reason why I suggest Hat Yai destination is because it is not as far as to Karabi and Phuket, the 1 night R&R at Penang or cameron highland or Ipoh is a perfect midway resting and re-charging for energy to continue the next cross border adventure.

Karabi, Phuket or Koh Samui are too popular with europeans tourist and I felt like the places it same like Bali where goods & services are expensive, more over there are too many budget airlines flying into these 3 tourist attraction spots, going there with our car just doesn't make good sence.

At Hat Yai, we went to eat cheap and nice local thai meals for breakfast/lunch & dinner, it's real funs to walked pasar malam and met lot's of Malaysia Muslim as well as Thai Muslim and converse in bahasa malayu, all of us will not miss the cheap 2 hours thai massages on all most everyday.

Let's keep in touch with Colin03 too and see whether any chances to travel up north together [bounce2]

Edited by Fongmy
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi, Bro JohnSHL,

Good Day.

I'm glad to hear that you did this long distance driving trip all the way to koh samui and the ride was especially a superb CX-9 :wub: what a beautiful SUV to travel [thumbsup]

The reason why I suggest Hat Yai destination is because it is not as far as to Karabi and Phuket, the 1 night R&R at Penang or cameron highland or Ipoh is a perfect midway resting and re-charging for energy to continue the next cross border adventure.

Karabi, Phuket or Koh Samui are too popular with europeans tourist and I felt like the places it same like Bali where goods & services are expensive, more over there are too many budget airlines flying into these 3 tourist attraction spots, going there with our car just doesn't make good sence.

At Hat Yai, we went to eat cheap and nice local thai meals for breakfast/lunch & dinner, it's real funs to walked pasar malam and met lot's of Malaysia Muslim as well as Thai Muslim and converse in bahasa malayu, all of us will not miss the cheap 2 hours thai massages on all most everyday.

Let's keep in touch with Colin03 too and see whether any chances to travel up north together [bounce2]

Fully concur with you bro. For instance, i have stayed in Indonesia for 4 yrs but never been to Bali cos it's overcrowded with proper tourists. I prefered to explore other, less commericalised areas :)

Fully concur with you bro. For instance, i have stayed in Indonesia for 4 yrs but never been to Bali cos it's overcrowded with proper tourists. I prefered to explore other, less commericalised areas :)

Papak JohnSHL, oh yes ! with regard Indonesia...I love Sumatra Padang/Bukit Tinggi/Pulau Mentawai Indian Ocean and the original delicious fresh Nasi Padang at Bukit Tinggi eating in cool climate.

Never forget Sulawesi Mernado with many catholic indonesians, the place is real kampong nostalgic feelings that brings back my childhood memories in Singapore kampong grown up. I went to these exotic areas to explore my deep sea fishing hobby, targeting marlin and yellow fin tuna :wub:

It's something like my mecca trip, must return to visit every year for routine reasons [laugh]

Cheers.

Gauging interest in folks interested in doing a drive trip to Hua Hin.

It'll proabably be a week long trip (8 day utilising weekends at each end. Why not 9 days.....1 day for rest lah).

Why 8 days..... 1.5 days drive up, 1.5 days drive back. You'll essentially be spending 5 nights there. The 2 missing nights are either in Penang or Hatyai for the stop-over. (no I'm not young enough to do a direct drive for those who prefer so)

All costs on your own. All arrangements for lodgings on your own too (can recommend you booking sites like asiawebdirect, etc if you need info). Costs of lodgings aside...... estimated expenditure for the trip is like SGD1800 for a couple. (includes petrol, tolls, insurances, food and sight-seeing). This is only an estimate... you can do your sums should you prefer 5 star dining for every meal, buy loads of stuff, etc. Cost for tolls , petrol & insurance is ~ SGD900 for me. (my car is thirsty)

Anyone interested?

Bro Dwoon, you organizing a convoy to Hua Hin.

Okay, let me input some note if you don't mind huh....

One and half day reaching Hua Hin is possible, but road trip shd be relax not rush.

So I think, 2 days going 2 days back will be just nice. As for Hua Hin, it's basically CBL, but the night market not too bad.

But driving casually, stop where ver you guys feel like , no fixed itinerary will be the best.... my 2 cents worth

For brothers who worried about the gasoline matters...... NOT to WORRY.

Most petrol station Have Gasohol 95 and Benzene 91 & 95.

When I did my road trip, this is worrying me as I was told by AD saying that my car minimum needs a RON 95.

But the anxiety cannot stop me from the trip.

I pump in Benzene 91 all the way in Thailand as you can hardly find Benzene 95.

So bros worry about this, cool man........ and another thing is, Gasohol 95 and Benzene 91, the price is relatively close...... just go and enjoy the drive!

Turbocharged

For brothers who worried about the gasoline matters...... NOT to WORRY.

Most petrol station Have Gasohol 95 and Benzene 91 & 95.

When I did my road trip, this is worrying me as I was told by AD saying that my car minimum needs a RON 95.

But the anxiety cannot stop me from the trip.

I pump in Benzene 91 all the way in Thailand as you can hardly find Benzene 95.

So bros worry about this, cool man........ and another thing is, Gasohol 95 and Benzene 91, the price is relatively close...... just go and enjoy the drive!

Bro Shor,

thanks for your input. I hv read your old posts on drives up north and am very impressed and inspired. I had wanted to make a trip up to north thailand last month - in my friend's diesel-powered Pajero Sport - but the plan was overtaken by circumstances. Hope to make it some day...

on the petrol issue, i think your advice is applicable for most cars (esp B&B cars) but may be less applicable for tuned cars, forced induction cars and/or high compression cars. For e.g., my FI car is specifically tuned for Ron97. Yes, the inbuilt anti-knock will help minimise predetonation but i will not wanna risk my overpriced (due to ARF & COE) car on under-specced petrol for such long usage in a foreign land, esp if flooring the accelerator most of the way [sly] (I would be carrying supplies of toulene.... )

When's your next drive trip up north? Hope to read your FR and see more pics [bounce2]

cheers~

thank you, Sir - enjoy your holidays - keep in touch.

Glad to know that my visit to an old thread has spark a number of interest....

Wishing the lot of you - Drive Well and Return Safe! [thumbsup][drivingcar]

What is the time required from Penang to Thai border (Danok)? Danok is mainly for men. It is worthwhile for a family to visit Danok?

I would be carrying supplies of toulene....

Hi bro, where to find toulene in SG? Am using Octane Booster. Quite xiong...

Turbocharged

What is the time required from Penang to Thai border (Danok)? Danok is mainly for men. It is worthwhile for a family to visit Danok?

i dunno abt travel time fm Penang to Danok. Maybe 1.5-2hrs? depending on traffic and border crossing.

yes, Danok is a bit dodgy. Better drive 100km further north to Hat Yai.

Turbocharged

Hi bro, where to find toulene in SG? Am using Octane Booster. Quite xiong...

yah and 1 btl of octance booster only has a small impact on a small vol of petrol.

search for bestchem. But smells like paint thinner. Gotta wrap up each container (4L each).

Bro Shor,

thanks for your input. I hv read your old posts on drives up north and am very impressed and inspired. I had wanted to make a trip up to north thailand last month - in my friend's diesel-powered Pajero Sport - but the plan was overtaken by circumstances. Hope to make it some day...

on the petrol issue, i think your advice is applicable for most cars (esp B&B cars) but may be less applicable for tuned cars, forced induction cars and/or high compression cars. For e.g., my FI car is specifically tuned for Ron97. Yes, the inbuilt anti-knock will help minimise predetonation but i will not wanna risk my overpriced (due to ARF & COE) car on under-specced petrol for such long usage in a foreign land, esp if flooring the accelerator most of the way [sly] (I would be carrying supplies of toulene.... )

When's your next drive trip up north? Hope to read your FR and see more pics [bounce2]

cheers~

Ah alright, ya, for your case, you better not risk it. Finding RON 95 in Thailand is tough, only station near Bangkok or in Bangkok have.

During my drive, I never see any RON 95 in Thailand ( I skipped Bkk )

fyi, I probably cannot afford to have time for such a long drive currently, but short distance drive is frequent. [drivingcar]

Reaching the border from Penang is inside 2 hours.

Skip Danok if you're with some lady companion or wife..... not much to do there except night.

Hit straight up, the Southern road is fantastic!

Ah alright, ya, for your case, you better not risk it. Finding RON 95 in Thailand is tough, only station near Bangkok or in Bangkok have.

During my drive, I never see any RON 95 in Thailand ( I skipped Bkk )

fyi, I probably cannot afford to have time for such a long drive currently, but short distance drive is frequent. [drivingcar]

The RON 95 I mean is Benzene 95.

Gasohol is 10% mixture of ethanol.

I might have mislead bro that pm me....... but conclusion, the RON 95 I mean seldom see is Benzene 95.

Take this graph as reference.... http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_prices.html

Heard from my distributor in Bangkok that only Caltex has benzene 95 and not all caltex has benzene 95 as well. So if can find caltex with benzene 95, better fill up.

yah and 1 btl of octance booster only has a small impact on a small vol of petrol.

search for bestchem. But smells like paint thinner. Gotta wrap up each container (4L each).

Thx bro for the info.

Did a calculation just now. To boost from 95 to 98, 15.6% in the tank has to be toluene.

Will call them next week to check the cost.

Im going to Aonang next week. Stopover at Sadao.

Heard from my distributor in Bangkok that only Caltex has benzene 95 and not all caltex has benzene 95 as well. So if can find caltex with benzene 95, better fill up.

Like what I said above, there are a few petrol station have Benzene 95.

I posted a chart above, Caltex, PT, SUSCO and PETRONAS do have Benzene 95. But is very rare.

Mostly inside Bkk ....... as my drive along the way to the North, I did not see any Benzene 95 unfortunately, but I stick to Benzene 91, not Gasohol. No problem about it.

↡ Advertisement