Marathons in Singapore

Ah_roy81

Haha. You were there too? Yup, that's the one that broke the camel's back. Too bad, they lost a customer in me, as well as many others who probably gave them a bad word of mouth as well.

Treadmill, got queue one meh? SAFRA leh, not your Clubfitt gyms. So far, if I run 1 hour also nobody stop me. [laugh]

Sometime i do hop over to safra for a change of gym environment. Most of the time i will be at sky fitness. I run the max 60min on threadmill. [laugh] But sometime at safra i do feel paisay seeing people behind waiting. Just my thought. However If some chio bu i surely will continue to run the max 60min or maybe restart....and hope the chio bu take the one on my left or right. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Hey guys, any1 knows which marathon is in Feb - April 2011 which has the 10km distance? Cos i planning to train for marathon but i dun wan to go straight for the 42km, i prefer to gradually increase the distance..so im hoping to run 10km beginning of next yr..den 21km at adidas sundown in May..den eventually the StanChart 42km in Dec next yr. Any advice? Thanx in advance. [:)]

why wait till Feb 2011 for a 10km race? Why not start now? The peak season for running races is sep to dec when the weather is cooler and there r more races.

There r plenty of 10km races like the New balance real run (10 km cross country), Nike 10km, SCB (10 km leg) etc....if u train regularly u should be able to run the 10km within a month easily if you are reasonably fit.

In addition, do run for charity too - the annual Run for Hope. Raising funds for cancer research.

I actually ran in last year's race. Not too bad, and for a good cause. But anyone knows how many % of the funds raised through the race fees actually go for the purpose of cancer research? I'm just worried that there will be more and more races disguised in the name of charity (like our Star Charity Show) and only a measly % go back to the people we wanted the funds to go to. That's why nowadays I tend to be a bit more sceptical. But I think all charity races must be transparent in the way they allocate funds.

I actually ran in last year's race. Not too bad, and for a good cause. But anyone knows how many % of the funds raised through the race fees actually go for the purpose of cancer research? I'm just worried that there will be more and more races disguised in the name of charity (like our Star Charity Show) and only a measly % go back to the people we wanted the funds to go to. That's why nowadays I tend to be a bit more sceptical. But I think all charity races must be transparent in the way they allocate funds.

I reckon Yellow ribbon should be a better cause. organise by the beneficiary themselves.

Just out of curiosity ......... media from Indonesia out saying that the haze will be on till even early next year 'cos of the the extended El Nino effect .... will the Stan Chart marathon be affected?? though its in early December and its a major event in Singapore 

Even training runs also not advisable in the outdoors especially training for the full 42.2km; I guess in house treadmill is one alternative; I only like training on roads   

Wearing a mask like the surgical type (not the N95) is really bothersome if not irritating as it gets wet too after some time of sweating  (though I have seen some people wearing them- the surgical type) 

Any bro's care to share how they train??

Just out of curiosity ......... media from Indonesia out saying that the haze will be on till even early next year 'cos of the the extended El Nino effect .... will the Stan Chart marathon be affected?? though its in early December and its a major event in Singapore

Even training runs also not advisable in the outdoors especially training for the full 42.2km; I guess in house treadmill is one alternative; I only like training on roads

Wearing a mask like the surgical type (not the N95) is really bothersome if not irritating as it gets wet too after some time of sweating (though I have seen some people wearing them- the surgical type)

I have been doing a lot of mental running for the past 6 mths.

Also have seen the positive results of carbo loading.

• Praise 2

No one can say for sure now.... Just look see look see on the actual day

The problem is not enough training leading to the actual day. So, even when the actual day is alright to proceed, it is going to be tough for many....

I had registered for the 21km. However if I don't get enough running in Nov, I might just give it a miss even the actually day is a go ahead. I want to enjoy the run and not dragging myself half way thru and half dead at the finishing line.

I have been doing a lot of mental running for the past 6 mths.

Also have seen the positive results of carbo loading.

Carbo loading is normally done just a day prior to the run or any long burn activity that one may anticipate doing, so as to sufficiently fuel the body ; Now is the issue of doing dry runs in run up to the actual event which is the issue ; Like today i saw that the psi was like 80 in the very early morning, just sprang out of bed and did my run at a relaxing pace and not breathing too hard of course.   

No one can say for sure now.... Just look see look see on the actual day

The problem is not enough training leading to the actual day. So, even when the actual day is alright to proceed, it is going to be tough for many....

I had registered for the 21km. However if I don't get enough running in Nov, I might just give it a miss even the actually day is a go ahead. I want to enjoy the run and not dragging myself half way thru and half dead at the finishing line.

Agree with you and I registered for the 42km and have been doing it for the last 14 years without fail, rain or shine (mostly shine only) but this year got a new element of haze and also this year there was no 1/2army marathon too which usually falls in September which would have sort of trained me up to that fitness level already and the rest of the 21km I sort of tikam tikam go slow and steady and finish it        

Wearing a mask like the surgical type (not the N95) is really bothersome if not irritating as it gets wet too after some time of sweating  (though I have seen some people wearing them- the surgical type) 

The best is to be run indoor if you love your lung.  N95 only offer protection for walking only.

• Praise 1

Don't train with masks on... you will get breath less and breathless !

If haze too big, just train indoors ...

Stanchart is in Dec,  still have 1.5 months to monitor.. so let's just wait whether it will be affected or not...

• Praise 1

One marathon just finished today and a few people are facing jail sentences.

Both of them also started at the Padang and end at Padang too [:p]

Don't train with masks on... you will get breath less and breathless !

If haze too big, just train indoors ...

Stanchart is in Dec,  still have 1.5 months to monitor.. so let's just wait whether it will be affected or not...

I started to run with Mask since May this year.  Over time, body will get use to it and improve on running.

• Praise 1

Carbo loading is normally done just a day prior to the run or any long burn activity that one may anticipate doing, so as to sufficiently fuel the body ; Now is the issue of doing dry runs in run up to the actual event which is the issue ; Like today i saw that the psi was like 80 in the very early morning, just sprang out of bed and did my run at a relaxing pace and not breathing too hard of course.

Agree with you and I registered for the 42km and have been doing it for the last 14 years without fail, rain or shine (mostly shine only) but this year got a new element of haze and also this year there was no 1/2army marathon too which usually falls in September which would have sort of trained me up to that fitness level already and the rest of the 21km I sort of tikam tikam go slow and steady and finish it

I was trying in a nice way to say I am eating quite excessively without actually running.

LOL,really can see the positive results, difficult to breath not because of haze, bit tight pants.

I was trying in a nice way to say I am eating quite excessively without actually running.

LOL,really can see the positive results, difficult to breath not because of haze, bit tight pants.

Aiyah! [nod] you really pulled my legs there  [laugh] you got me there  

• Praise 1

Wow! Very impressive! 14 full marathons? Did you do the recent Newton?

↡ Advertisement