Disciplining children or child abuse?

Ahtong

are u insinuating that you were an abusive father and no longer at this moment?

hw wld you feel when you caned your daughter last time and your neighbour puts you on stomp and calls the police on you? 

again.. not defending the ang mo father in that case..  his method may be WRONG.. but the intention is not. 

Strongly against calling that as abuse...  when there are much worse... in short.. i think the guy dont deserve to be in the same thread as the earlier posts abt the jailed mother and bf.....

No. I just said i caned my daughter before and currently don't do so. It doesn't work for her, so i stopped.

I probably won't choose to adopt such methods again. 

Most people get defensive when you get accused. Nothing unusual.

I would be wary about doing any of these corporal punishment things in the West.

Well we tend to lump threads together in MCF, so somehow this has ended up in the abuse thread lor.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/parenting-or-abuse-shoppers-post-of-texas-dad-pulling-daughter-by-hair-goes-viral-171726428.html

Walmart-dad-pulling-daughters-hair.jpg

It was an ordinary day at Walmart for Erika Burch, who was picking up some groceries for her kids when she saw something out of the ordinary. A man was leading his daughter through the store by her hair, which he had wrapped around the handle of the grocery cart he was pushing, causing his daughter to follow awkwardly alongside.

âShe [was] begging him to stop! She was saying âplease stop, I promise I wonât do it again please stop!ââ wrote Burch in a Facebook post that has since gone viral. Burch quickly snapped a few photos and told the man to let the girl go but he told her to mind her own business.

âI said no Iâm not! Right now this little girl is my business and you need to let her hair go now!â wrote Burch. âHe said âI grew up just fine!â [so] I called the police!â

A cop who happened to be in the vicinity heard the commotion and came running but was unable to do anything until his sergeant arrived. When he did, they were told that the man could not be arrested unless there were visible signs of bodily injury to the child. This was despite Burch showing the sergeant photos of the man pulling the girl along.

âThe sergeant in Cleveland TX said, âHe has the right to discipline his children!ââ wrote Burch. âDragging a little girl by the hair if [sic] her head is not proper discipline!â

âNow this baby had to go home with this monster thinking that nobody cared about her and itâs okay for this animal to pull her by the hair of her head!â wrote Burch before urging people to share the post and contact the Cleveland Police Department.

Burchâs post, which has garnered more than 7,500 likes and 130,000 shares, has sparked a lively debate, with people weighing in on whether the man was parenting or abusing the child.

âThis is wrong! No child should be pulled by their hair through a store. I donât care what the child did there are so many other ways to handle this problem,â wrote Audrey Griffith-DâAngelo.

âIf someone would do this in public, what would happen behind closed doors?â asked Deborah Simpson.

âAll you people are why children now a days think they can do whatever they want. Parents should be able to discipline their child as longs as, like the police officer said, no bodily harm. Grow up and mind your own business,â wrote Tasha Lee Herrlott.

Burchâs enraged post also seems to have struck a chord amongst others, resulting in the Cleveland Police Department receiving ânumerous calls.â In a statement published on Facebook, the department assures people that âthis case is currently being investigated by our Detective Division."

Do you think the man was simply discipling his child or being abusive?

It's psychological abuse.

Kid may grow up to be bully.

She may grow up thinking that to right a wrong they should be some physical + mental pain.

It's a very bad parenting.

How is this different from public caning in school?

totally agree with you!

when teachers and principals were interviewed, they will claimed that caning & other punishments in public are the last resorts

aren't those parents also facing the so-called last resorts???

now, we are told that any physical touch is an abuse that should not be happened; then why are there corporate punishments still exist in schools, reforms and prisons?

I also have teacher frens telling me that it is this nonsensical hurdles that they are face2face confronted by their naughty students!

so, they just suka suka call the police, ended up the kids being tagged as the bad asses

domestic canning still be forgivable coz parents take the shots

but once a police is called, or any public punishment is done - it will just lead the kid to the "dark force" straighaway!

so, its like they dun do what they preach.....

• Praise 1

Why bring a child to this world but allow such sufferings to take place? By own father - can barely imagine the trauma and fear...

Not a man. Not even an animal.

Shouldn't this be classified as murder?

Why bring a child to this world but allow such sufferings to take place? By own father - can barely imagine the trauma and fear...

they just give birth without planning, if they plan it won't come to this stage.

they just give birth without planning, if they plan it won't come to this stage.

He is 24 years old and the kid is 5 years old. Damn teruk lah!!  this one  ; so he was a father at 19 or even younger still he must have got married or was he a single father as they used the word foster care ?? as nothing mentioned about the mother ... whole life wasted.

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 1

He is 24 years old and the kid is 5 years old. Damn teruk lah!!  this one  ; so he was a father at 19 or even younger still he must have got married or was he a single father as they used the word foster care ?? as nothing mentioned about the mother ... whole life wasted.

The mother was also involved.  Both husband and wife abused the poor kid

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/woman-charged-with-murder-of-5-year-old-son?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1477547613

• Praise 2

Aiyoh !! Both also teruk case .....now the other kids also will be displaced or fostered out hopefully to deserving parents or relatives .... Govt also headache with this type of situations
  • Praise 1

Aiyoh !! Both also teruk case .....now the other kids also will be displaced or fostered out hopefully to deserving parents or relatives .... Govt also headache with this type of situations

they have 4 children, apparently their intention is not to raise a family   <_<  <_<

Not a man. Not even an animal.

Shouldn't this be classified as murder?

Best case he will get is manslaughter.  Either way, he'll spend a long time in hell. 

Sigh...

another innocent life lost.

no matter how naughty the boy is, the father is just not ready to be one.

so sad to read both articles!

↡ Advertisement