Poor Hawker Centre Hygiene?

Fishman

This afternoon I was at Redhill market and saw some pigeons (4 of them specifically) actually flew right into the hawker centre, feeding on crumbs on the floor (see picture). :o WTF! What goes in, must come out, right? I shudder to think of the food I had just consume might have been contaminated! Not that I am a hygiene freak, or having too high expectations of a hawker centre, but still...

post-60208-1284027305_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Feeding pigeons in Botanic Gardens is already discouraged. Now they are feeding side by side with us!

Although not in the picture, one of the birds actually went right into the stall; and the stallholder didn't bother even though there was no customer then! Sibei bo chap! I swear I'll never buy anything from this stall!

This will generate a long list.

I agreed totally tot he title.

Whole food centre thing is dirty. dirty dirty.... Only a few that i have visited are still so call cleaner.

Most had dirty food stall. oily table, dirty plates and bowls, DIRTY tray.

Look at the way they 'clean' the table.

Check the tray, especially along the sides.

Turbocharged

Hmmmmmm.............. compare to the 'Ceiling Spring Cleaning', which one need more attention??? .... :o

aiya.. u think which one is more important to them? [shakehead]

rip to the child...

Brought up a 3 years old subject after reading today's ST report on people rating on hawker centres.

I am one of the strong 'critics' of our hawker centres. I find most badly designed, totally no management and the worst of all, commercialized.

Design wise, not only stalls get smaller till operators spill outside their stall, there is no proper pathway to even walk. Not to mention space for cleaners to push trolley. So, it is very common to see cleaner parking their trolley far away and sweeping the table using their bare hands.

Even with the return tray shelves, they were place at adhoc places and usually full. When they came up with this idea, they simply place the shelves just to show they have done it. Clearing from the tables to the shelves is just 1 part, removing from the shelves to the respective stalls are the major one. The list of problems go on pages. Why food courts operated by private companies face less of such issues? It goes down to management. NEA only issue licences, the rest is not their problem. Please do include fee on management in NEA licence. :a-noway:

Brought up a 3 years old subject after reading today's ST report on people rating on hawker centres.

I am one of the strong 'critics' of our hawker centres. I find most badly designed, totally no management and the worst of all, commercialized.

Design wise, not only stalls get smaller till operators spill outside their stall, there is no proper pathway to even walk. Not to mention space for cleaners to push trolley. So, it is very common to see cleaner parking their trolley far away and sweeping the table using their bare hands.

Even with the return tray shelves, they were place at adhoc places and usually full. When they came up with this idea, they simply place the shelves just to show they have done it. Clearing from the tables to the shelves is just 1 part, removing from the shelves to the respective stalls are the major one. The list of problems go on pages. Why food courts operated by private companies face less of such issues? It goes down to management. NEA only issue licences, the rest is not their problem. Please do include fee on management in NEA licence. :a-noway:

That's why food prices between hawker centers and foodcourts are different. If you want even better standard and quality you go to a restaurant. You have a choice for cheaper food option but quality and standard not as good as foodcourt or restaurants. Cannot be you paying for hawker center price but get foodcourt standard. Somebody else will cry foul too.

So you want to eat at hawker center, foodcourt or restaurant? Whoa, I sound like Vivian B. LoL...

• Praise 1

if this is our mentality than i am very sad. why should hawker Center be dirty just because it is run by NEA? I am not referring to aircon or having central dishwashing. basic hygiene only. moreover, not all hawker centre are much cheaper than food court or even kopitiam