Poor Hawker Centre Hygiene?

Fishman

Some patrons also quite knn one lah.

Leave the table strewn with fish bones, chicken bones, prawn head and shell etc...  :a-noway:

I do empathise with the cleaners.

Edited by Blueray
↡ Advertisement

The sad fact is it's all down to the dollar. NEA is not going to run like a charity org. They will tell you that for sure.

He's just asking for better design...

manpower issues, patrons have to do their part, unfortunately when you have one good patron to clear the table, you have 20 who dun give a damn to dirty it, some even scold the cleaner.

I have encounter several times cleaners telling me to leave my tray on the table when I'm done. They don't want me to return tray to the collection point. He/she says she cannot cope, some other cleaner will clear my table. I usually ignore them coz if I dun clear other patrons can't use my table after I'm done. If I return tray I get a "reprimand" from a cleaner.

The root of the problem is NEA tender the cleaning to companies and the cleaning companies only assign so little cleaners to do the job. Needless to say lowest quote gets the job.

So if ppl listen to the cleaners you will see trays all over the tables waiting for that one cleaner to clear. That's why you see it as poor hygiene. I fxxk care what the cleaner tells me and continue to return the trays to the collection point. If they rant, I just ignore.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

He's just asking for better design...

Thanks for mentioning.

What was the intended initiative? It's for ppl to return trays to the collection point after they are done. Not for the cleaners to go around. But what happen in the end? There will be no perfect design if ppl do not follow what it's intended for.

This can change provided ppl do their part. But does it work? Obviously not. Hence cleaning companies are hired to do the job. And the lowest bidder wins. See the picture?

Edited by Watwheels

Some patrons also quite knn one lah.

Leave the table strewn with fish bones, chicken bones, prawn head and shell etc...  :a-noway:

I do empathise with the cleaners.

yup, agreed.

I though those old hawker center super long ago Liao

30 years old design

Personally I like them

Tall roof, airy, reasonable prices

Old hawkers still the best.

Got the old names and good food, but some are not really that cheap anymore.

• Praise 1

Is it?

They always thank me for returning the trays.

I have encounter several times cleaners telling me to leave my tray on the table when I'm done. They don't want me to return tray to the collection point. He/she says she cannot cope, some other cleaner will clear my table. I usually ignore them coz if I dun clear other patrons can't use my table after I'm done. If I return tray I get a "reprimand" from a cleaner.

The root of the problem is NEA tender the cleaning to companies and the cleaning companies only assign so little cleaners to do the job. Needless to say lowest quote gets the job.

So if ppl listen to the cleaners you will see trays all over the tables waiting for that one cleaner to clear. That's why you see it as poor hygiene. I fxxk care what the cleaner tells me and continue to return the trays to the collection point. If they rant, I just ignore.

• Praise 1

Is it?

They always thank me for returning the trays.

Yup.

And I always thank them whenever they clear my table. From their surprised looks, it is easy to guess that they are seldom appreciated. Just 2 words to lighten their day. How hard to say "Thank you" or "Kam sia"?

If no one came to clear the dirty table I am seated at, I will clear it myself. And always finish off cleaning with wet wipes. I belong to the type who likes a clean, cleared and dry table.

My only grouses are seeing cleaners cleaning table tops with their dirty cloth and cleaning the stool/chair with the same or pushing off bits of food onto the floor. I will tell these off and look for their supervisor to ensure they do not repeat. Is it effective? Maybe, as the floors are much cleaner and no food wastes littering it when I next went. And cloths used looks and smells cleaner too.

One of the cleanest hawker centre i encounter is the one behind ICA building. The cleaners seem highly motivated and the place is really clean and floor dry. Place is airy too. The desserts stall there is very good. Everything made by the lady owner. Unfortunately she stopped selling the porridge with cuttlefish and peanuts. Good piping hot portion at $1. Says age is catching up and she cannot cope with making so many items. I am not related to her. Sorry for O/T.

I sincerely hope that ppl will be more appreciative of cleaners and not mind clearing own tables before and after, especially if it's during peak hours. At least, you do not subject yourself to unnecessary stress and anger before a meal. It is not something that you must do. It is whether you want to or not. I do it all the time. Because I chose to be happier before I eat. Food tend to taste better too without a bitter taste in the mouth caused by anger. The downside is, I tend to eat more than I should

• Praise 5

Old hawkers still the best.

Got the old names and good food, but some are not really that cheap anymore.

Nana curry whole fish head Bukit Merah view market

Less than $40

My personal recommendation

But Now under Reno

The curry really is 够力

Wasted is Sunday don’t open

Actually, there should be more to protect the cleaners. Many of them clear food, bones and used tissue paper with their bare hands. How unhygienic is that? 

On top of this people, spit bones and other food onto the table..and the table is cleaned with a cursory wipe again and again.

I saw in China before the cleaners in restaurants and food court wear gloves, cleared waste food with a brush have disinfectant to clean the tables which I thought is a very good hygiene practice. 

Yup.

And I always thank them whenever they clear my table. From their surprised looks, it is easy to guess that they are seldom appreciated. Just 2 words to lighten their day. How hard to say "Thank you" or "Kam sia"?

If no one came to clear the dirty table I am seated at, I will clear it myself. And always finish off cleaning with wet wipes. I belong to the type who likes a clean, cleared and dry table.

My only grouses are seeing cleaners cleaning table tops with their dirty cloth and cleaning the stool/chair with the same or pushing off bits of food onto the floor. I will tell these off and look for their supervisor to ensure they do not repeat. Is it effective? Maybe, as the floors are much cleaner and no food wastes littering it when I next went. And cloths used looks and smells cleaner too.

One of the cleanest hawker centre i encounter is the one behind ICA building. The cleaners seem highly motivated and the place is really clean and floor dry. Place is airy too. The desserts stall there is very good. Everything made by the lady owner. Unfortunately she stopped selling the porridge with cuttlefish and peanuts. Good piping hot portion at $1. Says age is catching up and she cannot cope with making so many items. I am not related to her. Sorry for O/T.

I sincerely hope that ppl will be more appreciative of cleaners and not mind clearing own tables before and after, especially if it's during peak hours. At least, you do not subject yourself to unnecessary stress and anger before a meal. It is not something that you must do. It is whether you want to or not. I do it all the time. Because I chose to be happier before I eat. Food tend to taste better too without a bitter taste in the mouth caused by anger. The downside is, I tend to eat more than I should

• Praise 3

Actually, there should be more to protect the cleaners. Many of them clear food, bones and used tissue paper with their bare hands. How unhygienic is that? 

On top of this people, spit bones and other food onto the table..and the table is cleaned with a cursory wipe again and again.

I saw in China before the cleaners in restaurants and food court wear gloves, cleared waste food with a brush have disinfectant to clean the tables which I thought is a very good hygiene practice. 

Actually many times we are issued with a tray with the plate and bowl of food. We can just put whatever waste on the tray or even in the empty plate/bowl afterwards. I just understand why some people can't eat with the tray below the plate/bowl. It makes it difficult for the cleaners to clean and the tables look messy and liquid spilling over the table. 

This is the one of the key problem brother. Even in China, the tables are cleared properly. The min would be a clean cloth that they will rise for each table. Sweeping onto the floor is our standard. Some said return own tray, I wonder have they tried and found the shelves full of uncleared trays and they have to place them on the floor. This is because your table is now occupied and you cannot put that tray back [mad]

The way our foods are served, you need to spit the bones onto the tray if you don't do it on the table. Have you ever seen the tray being washed? Seats are arranged between 2 rows of stalls. Stalls are so small vendors extend out of their stall which make the narrow path even narrower. With patrons sitting and some queuing, cleaner virtually can't push their trolley. You don't see this in food court even they pay higher rent for the space. NEA need to max income, their KPI?

In my opinion, when I walked into a building, look at their toilets you know the cleanliness standard of that building. Similarly, look at our hawker centres, you know what is ours as compared to Hong Kong and Taiwan. Theirs are not even run by a national environmental agency. Are we 1st world :a-noway:

Twincharged

...... what is ours as compared to Hong Kong and Taiwan. Theirs are not even run by a national environmental agency. Are we 1st world :a-noway:

correction : 1st world economy but 4th world dwellers.

most of the time we demand this and demand that, suggest this and suggest that. but when it comes to ourselves, the rules just seems to bend naturally. We want clean tables but we expect others to clean it for us whereas things could have been easier and better if we had kept it clean whilst using it in the first place. i totally agree with the part where the consumers love to leave the bones and tissues on the tables and floor instead of their trays ... leaving a big mess for the cleaners to clean up. if they had left their trash on the trays, maybe the next occupant would have found it easier to clear the table for themselves too.

there are some of us who practices cleanliness as what we preach, but its just too few.

correction : 1st world economy but 4th world dwellers.

most of the time we demand this and demand that, suggest this and suggest that. but when it comes to ourselves, the rules just seems to bend naturally. We want clean tables but we expect others to clean it for us whereas things could have been easier and better if we had kept it clean whilst using it in the first place. i totally agree with the part where the consumers love to leave the bones and tissues on the tables and floor instead of their trays ... leaving a big mess for the cleaners to clean up. if they had left their trash on the trays, maybe the next occupant would have found it easier to clear the table for themselves too.

there are some of us who practices cleanliness as what we preach, but its just too few.

Not I say one Hor.......

http://str.sg/4C87

Not I say one Hor.......

http://str.sg/4C87

i think he should know the society/culture difference between Japan and Singapore, I bet my last dollar it can never reach that level in next 50 years.

.... if you still see me around [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1