Poor Hawker Centre Hygiene?

Fishman

No trays laying around but many plates and bowls laying around?!

no trays around, doesn't mean no used bowls or plates lying around.

haha you guys very sharp... minimal bowls or plates too cause the stalls are supposed to issue trays with each purchase. 

but let's see how it goes. 

↡ Advertisement

you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

forcing 50c on tray return is pointless. people who refuse to follow will workaround it.

people who are willing to return tray, will do so, regardless got 50c charge or not.

just make it easy for these people, put lots of tray return shelves around.

the problem is a social one, it'll be resolved socially or by peer pressure.

money does not fix everything, which PAP elites only can think of.

Use IKEA method.

Use trolleys to put the trays and people can push the trays to the cleaning area.

Enclose the hawker center to prevent trolleys being stolen.

Having more tray return shelves but cleaners also must clear those tray, bowls and plates on the shelve. If not also become problem. I saw the tray return shelves in some hawker centre full of plates and bowls, looks so disgusting and dirty.

Yes, it's a whole train. Used bowls/plates/trays must moved off the tables to the shelves to the cleaning machine.

Who's going to ensure that ?

The diners who paid for food and "service" ?

If you only fix one part of the problem, then it's not a total solution at all.

Some places even have people stationed at the shelves to ensure you sort the right bowls/plates/trays from halal to non-halal.

If they go to such extend, why not make diners wash/clean plates and store them properly ?

Where does the line ends ?

Ppl will just take the plates and bowls off the tray. Return tray for deposit. Table still not cleared. PAP waste money again. Only know how to throw money to attempt short cut solutions.

Edited by Mockngbrd

Ppl will just take the plates and bowls off the tray. Return tray for deposit. Table still not cleared. PAP waste money again. Only know how to throw money to attempt short cut solutions.

I was at Marsling last week. People won't deliberately take the plates off the tray la. Where got so free?

What happens is that the storeholder doesn't given give you a tray (unless many bowls/plates etc) because it is god damn troublesome for them. Basically there is one fellow that comes around to distribute the trays - stall owner has to sign for it and pay for it later hor. So most people just buy, take the bowl and leave. 

After eating, the bowl is left on the table. If you take a tray, obviously won't be so free as to remove everything from it just to return it la.

I was at Marsling last week. People won't deliberately take the plates off the tray la. Where got so free?

What happens is that the storeholder doesn't given give you a tray (unless many bowls/plates etc) because it is god damn troublesome for them. Basically there is one fellow that comes around to distribute the trays - stall owner has to sign for it and pay for it later hor. So most people just buy, take the bowl and leave. 

After eating, the bowl is left on the table. If you take a tray, obviously won't be so free as to remove everything from it just to return it la.

Tray is some times smelly, not cleaned properly.

I always take my food off the tray before starting to eat.

If it's a paid tray, it'll probably go back alone to get back the 50c.

50c tray return will be like what is happening at yishun hawker centre

1. stallholder ask you if you want 50c tray or not

2. you can accept or reject tray

3. if you pay for 50c tray, you can leave the rest of the bowls/plates/cutlery on the table and just return tray for 50c

4. if you forget your 50c tray, someone will come along and kop it for money

tray just became a cash item to be traded. if you pay for it, don't loose it.

what's that about cleaning ? they still need cleaners to come around and clean the table, with or without trays.

so there you have it, the great tray workaround.

Whose idea is this? Sounded silly....

First, if consumer reject the tray, how is he going to bring his food to the table? Balance using his two arms like a waiter?  So look like most people will have to accept the tray unless he is only buying a plate of rice.

2nd, what is the point of just returning the tray and still has the possibility of dirty tables full of bowls and plates? Many people eat their stuff after removing them from the tray. Some hawker centers the table is small, you can't fit a few trays at the same time when you are eating with a group of people. 

So I dun quite understand the logic of this initiative. 

No trays laying around but many plates and bowls laying around?!

Nod Nod.

Me and family were at bukit merah central hawker centre. Newly reopen and they has this $1 for tray thingy.

The question now is many customer don't take the tray instead carry their bowl and plate around. Least to say hardly anyone return those bowl/plate. I too go without the tray but when returning my bowl/plate the machine only accept bowl/plate on tray. End up I go to the back of the machine where two aunties clearing/cleaning trayservices.

What I noticed many tables left with bowl and plates lying around. More job for the cleaners.

Also I noticed the return ong point located in the centre of the hawker center. From one end of the hawker one do need to walk 1 or 2 minutes to the returning point.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

If works then pap will print newspaper, go on tv, go on YouTube, say they very clever. If no works, blame ppls. Say ppls lousy don't want to use their idea.

• Praise 1

Oh, you are wrong.

A number of my friends like to remove plates and bowls from their trays because they think eating on a tray is not proper, or scared the tray may slip and all the contents will drop off the table together.

And also as pointed out by someone earlier, trays take up a lot of space on small tables.

I feel no point arguing what if this and what if that.... First of all, cultivation of courtesy begins from ownself. Why can other country implement this with no issue and yet we can't? We even for bag free day, Malaysia have implemented it. I don't see ppl complaining about it. Here, NTUC want to implement and ppl kpkb till no end.

I feel no point arguing what if this and what if that.... First of all, cultivation of courtesy begins from ownself. Why can other country implement this with no issue and yet we can't? We even for bag free day, Malaysia have implemented it. I don't see ppl complaining about it. Here, NTUC want to implement and ppl kpkb till no end.

I always complain... Who say no complain?

But these days I just leave a bag of plastic bags in my car in case I drive into JB during bag free day.

As long as we still harbour the "me first" attitude such such tray collections scheme will not work. How often we see people reserve tabke with tissue pack and now worse handphone.

There are two solutions to get it working. Aim at Singaporean weakness. He kiasu mindset and pettiness. Give every tray return with a mere 10 cents discount off foods purchase you will see people start queuing to return tray. Education. Don't return tray sign of low Class trailer/advert on msm. It will work.

Also the Mindset if eating at fast food "restaurant" equate to cheap meal...not atas sort of restaurant.

As long as we still harbour the "me first" attitude such such tray collections scheme will not work. How often we see people reserve tabke with tissue pack and now worse handphone.

There are two solutions to get it working. Aim at Singaporean weakness. He kiasu mindset and pettiness. Give every tray return with a mere 10 cents discount off foods purchase you will see people start queuing to return tray. Education. Don't return tray sign of low Class trailer/advert on msm. It will work.

Also the Mindset if eating at fast food "restaurant" equate to cheap meal...not atas sort of restaurant.

"mere 10 cents".

Pretty sure it costs less than 10 cents to hire the cleaner.

"mere 10 cents".

Pretty sure it costs less than 10 cents to hire the cleaner.

What I observed yesterday at bukit merah central there are only two old folks clearing up all the bowl/plate left behind on the table. apparently the mgt reduced the headcount for table wiping. Pity them though. My family always clear our own dishes be it fast food or hawkers.

Our mcf table wipers going to be put of job soon.

Edited by Kopites

What I observed yesterday at bukit merah central there are only two old folks clearing up all the bowl/plate left behind on the table. apparently the mgt reduced the headcount for table wiping. Pity them though. My family always clear our own dishes be it fast food or hawkers.

Our mcf table wipers going to be put of job soon.

This is why  don't understand this initiative.

is it to encourage people to return trays or to clear their own table?

Or is it someone  thought that by asking people to return trays, then they will also automatically clear their table?

Unfortunately, returning tray and clearing their own table are two different things.

The most effective way is ...... fine. Wahahaha. We are a "fine" city.
↡ Advertisement