Give weak pupils a fighting chance

Tigerwoods

Read this Straits Times Forum article.

As a concerned parent with children struggling, I find our Singapore Education methods, a few screws missing.

The writer said, I quote :

Not only the questions very difficult but some were also couched in complex sentences requiring a good grasp of the language, and at the same time guessing correctly what the setter wanted them to do. The smart and above average children got by with the extra help they got at home or at tuition centres....

The parents of average and weak ones would surely be relieved and encouraged if those who set examination papers do so with some thought for the stragglers and strugglers, Ms Wong's argument for a closer affinity between textbooks and examinations deserve the staunch support of all - Parents teachers and administrators alike.

Yes I fully agree with the writer.

What the teachers teach are basic understanding of the formulae and facts. There is little on Application.

Most tests/exams require the child to know how to apply it to solve the equation.

Our country wants to create critical thinkers, but its not taught in schools but at homes and tuition centres.

Tuition centres and parents deserve more credit for the A*s and not the schools.

I may be offensive, I know there will be teachers that go the "extra mile", but few.

The teachers are kept busy with completing the syllabus, not by exnsuring the child gets the skill. How sad...

The schools and teachers are pressed for time to complete the seriously CRAMPEd syllabus in a year, tell me how can any school teach the child indepth knowledge to handle the exam questions ? NONE.

The tuition centres become an indispensible avenue to go to to achieve that, thus our Spore education, viewed from the outside world, looks so brilliant.

↡ Advertisement

Read this Straits Times Forum article.

As a concerned parent with children struggling, I find our Singapore Education methods, a few screws missing.

The writer said, I quote :

Not only the questions very difficult but some were also couched in complex sentences requiring a good grasp of the language, and at the same time guessing correctly what the setter wanted them to do. The smart and above average children got by with the extra help they got at home or at tuition centres....

The parents of average and weak ones would surely be relieved and encouraged if those who set examination papers do so with some thought for the stragglers and strugglers, Ms Wong's argument for a closer affinity between textbooks and examinations deserve the staunch support of all - Parents teachers and administrators alike.

Yes I fully agree with the writer.

What the teachers teach are basic understanding of the formulae and facts. There is little on Application.

Most tests/exams require the child to know how to apply it to solve the equation.

Our country wants to create critical thinkers, but its not taught in schools but at homes and tuition centres.

Tuition centres and parents deserve more credit for the A*s and not the schools.

I may be offensive, I know there will be teachers that go the "extra mile", but few.

The teachers are kept busy with completing the syllabus, not by exnsuring the child gets the skill. How sad...

The schools and teachers are pressed for time to complete the seriously CRAMPEd syllabus in a year, tell me how can any school teach the child indepth knowledge to handle the exam questions ? NONE.

The tuition centres become an indispensible avenue to go to to achieve that, thus our Spore education, viewed from the outside world, looks so brilliant.

wah teachers go that "extra mile"?

which school?

i wan to be her student....

sure will study hard

wah teachers go that "extra mile"?

which school?

i wan to be her student....

sure will study hard

Refresh for further comments and discussion please !

All i can say is today's exam is not like our times.

One cannot burn the midnight oil and play catch up game in the RAT race of today.

It has to start from DAY 1.

And yes....sadly tution is a must today. Especially in English & Maths.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

the syllabus cover the minimum for everyone to understand, it is fair to all. The students should be able to handle the exam with a pass.

the hardworking students will be motivated to learn more, either by self learning, parents or tuition centre. that is where the different come from. But how to inspire student in those areas, very much from the school culture (by peer or by pressure) and home environment.

I have not follow up with the education system today, but I feel the people who set the syslabus (spelling) in such a way that its will aid them when they went out to work in future. They should consult people in range of professions. The way our educational work is by memorisation & practise hard the question with 10 year series & past year paper. Very little focus of creativity, team work & presentations, among others.

At least thats my feeback base on my education in the 90s. I have to leran alot of things on my own, & at speed when I started working.

I have not follow up with the education system today, but I feel the people who set the syslabus (spelling) in such a way that its will aid them when they went out to work in future. They should consult people in range of professions. The way our educational work is by memorisation & practise hard the question with 10 year series & past year paper. Very little focus of creativity, team work & presentations, among others.

At least thats my feeback base on my education in the 90s. I have to leran alot of things on my own, & at speed when I started working.

It's the experience that counts. Kids will learn to be kiasu, kiasee and haolian in the process. Good enough to tackle working environment when they grow up. :D

Anyone can dispel this myth that the top classes will have the best teachers teaching and head of departments for the various subjects will spend most of their time with them . . . . especially for P6 students. Seems to be true, looking at my boy's class. :huh:

actually hor i feel this way

during lesson everyone are taught the same during the lessons,be it last time or now coz the students are taught in this particular "way"

therefore our era etc, will otherwise think it's difficult etc,thats why it's fair in all generations..

how do i really give example..hmmmmm

Im not too sure about this.

But its a normal practise for schools to group top students together under the same class.

They do this grouping for P3 then later part review thier results again and re-group in P5.

This also means the poorer performers have be group together as well.

Anyone can dispel this myth that the top classes will have the best teachers teaching and head of departments for the various subjects will spend most of their time with them . . . . especially for P6 students. Seems to be true, looking at my boy's class. :huh:

All i can say is today's exam is not like our times.

One cannot burn the midnight oil and play catch up game in the RAT race of today.

It has to start from DAY 1.

And yes....sadly tution is a must today. Especially in English & Maths.

The issue wanna know -

Is our Present Educational System actually creating the brilliant minds of our future

OR

our Tuition Centre Sweatshops and Parents ??

the syllabus cover the minimum for everyone to understand, it is fair to all. The students should be able to handle the exam with a pass.

the hardworking students will be motivated to learn more, either by self learning, parents or tuition centre. that is where the different come from. But how to inspire student in those areas, very much from the school culture (by peer or by pressure) and home environment.

Here is an example what I mean by your minimum.

Pri 1 Maths

31 - 19 = ? Ans = 12. taught by teacher.

But the questions on assessment paper is :

31 - < ?> = 12

If the parents don't teach, how the hell the Pri 1 children know how to do it ?

You get the drift ??

It has been like that for many many years.

Our Schools are only interested in Statistics that can make them look good to MOE. What they do is none of MOE concern. Sad isn't it for parents that don't get their child into those few Top classes ?

Not all schools does that I have to admit as my Girl school don't have and what happens ?

The school PSLE no shining star but overall passed.

Those schools if got just some good Score Students, Outside the school hang Banners to Hao Lian.

But frankly they chop the forest to save a Tree...

The more MOE wants to move away from Point system and focus on holistic education, they more they suck up to Points system.

It has been like that for many many years.

Our Schools are only interested in Statistics that can make them look good to MOE. What they do is none of MOE concern. Sad isn't it for parents that don't get their child into those few Top classes ?

Not all schools does that I have to admit as my Girl school don't have and what happens ?

The school PSLE no shining star but overall passed.

Those schools if got just some good Score Students, Outside the school hang Banners to Hao Lian.

But frankly they chop the forest to save a Tree...

The more MOE wants to move away from Point system and focus on holistic education, they more they suck up to Points system.

Maybe the principal & teachers bonus are pat to the "performance" of the PSLE or "O" level results, hence some of these people "piorities" to give the best statistic. This is my own assumption.

I have my own share of bad experience with bad prinicple & teachers, but my friend took the cake. He told me he used to study in "famous" school, his angmoh was never good & he fail by a single point in one of the year. So his parent went to ask the principal & ask him can give chance, as his other subjects are reasonably ok. The principla without pity said cannot & send him of to neighbour school & retain for one year when he was only like 10 or 11 years old. Until now, he still hot when talk about it.

Maybe the principal & teachers bonus are pat to the "performance" of the PSLE or "O" level results, hence some of these people "piorities" to give the best statistic. This is my own assumption.

I have my own share of bad experience with bad prinicple & teachers, but my friend took the cake. He told me he used to study in "famous" school, his angmoh was never good & he fail by a single point in one of the year. So his parent went to ask the principal & ask him can give chance, as his other subjects are reasonably ok. The principla without pity said cannot & send him of to neighbour school & retain for one year when he was only like 10 or 11 years old. Until now, he still hot when talk about it.

This are real cases as I have friends who kena this type of problem.

"Good" schools has a Reputation to Keep and they will go all out to maintain or Up the Ante.

The Principal KPI for bonus, increment and reputation is more important than the child's future.

But then again, who knows ? the child maybe the next Bill Gates isn't it ??

↡ Advertisement