Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic | 14 praises

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Shingkyo
  • Shingkyo
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi,

Is it that nowadays the banks will charge 20% on unearned interest for early car loan repayment irregardless of your car <55K (Governed under Hire Purchase Law) or >55k (Governed under Common Law)?

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Xspace
  • Xspace
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Why don't you call your bank and check? They can advise you immediately on the amount...
Please follow the signature guidelines.

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Shingkyo
  • Shingkyo
    Clutched
    Author Image

Yes, they said they need to impose 20% + some admin charge... But my car is under 55k which is to be governed by HP Law where the bank should not be charging this 20%...

Advise?

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Alvinnoob
  • Alvinnoob
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

that is consider 78 rule, under early resettlement.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Yes, they said they need to impose 20% + some admin charge... But my car is under 55k which is to be governed by HP Law where the bank should not be charging this 20%...

Advise?

not necessary.... because due to change in law for rule 78...... the 20% may still be charged under HP law.... but it must be stated in your contract... look thru your contract details and see if it is stated....

i used to work in a finance company.... hopefully my info is not our dated
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

that is consider 78 rule, under early resettlement.

it is not.. it is a different matter altogether... dun mislead leh
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

quite standard, due to the curiousity, after reading this thread.

i called up my bank and find that the penalty is also around 20% of the 'rebate'.
but what is the 'rebate', need the loan department to call me up and explain.

Edited by Kurty, 14 September 2010 - 04:39 PM.

bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

quite standard, due to the curiousity, after reading this thread.

i called up my bank and find that the penalty is also around 20% of the 'rebate'.
but what is the 'rebate', need the loan department to call me up and explain.

rebate is based on interest not earned on the loan...

an example in layman terms...

7yr loan will have 7yr interest but if you full settle on 3rd yr... you have 4 yrs of interest rebate as you did not use the loan for the remaining 4 yrs... but because of rule 78.. the calculation is not as simple as interest divide by 7yrs X 4years

because rule 78 in layman terms means you pay more interest upfront....

for eg:
1st yr $1,000 installment = 900 to interest + 100 to principle
2nd yr = 800 to interest + 200 to principle
etc

so if you want to full settle after 3yrs.... your rebate may not be alot... as you have paid most of the interest during the 1st 3yrs installments.... this is why rule 78 is a killer

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

so bro, based on your experience, what do you reckon?

early settlement or just leave it alone..
bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

to me.. as long as you have taken a loan.. it is best to carry on till end of tenure....

i know you intending to change car.... try not to....unless absolutely necessary
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Kar_lover
  • Premium member
    Kar_lover
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Even those under Rule 78, they still can have other admin fees eg. a % of balance loan or something like dat. The details will be in your loan contract.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Tigerwoods
  • Premium member
    Tigerwoods
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Leave it alone and make them do transactionary work.
My loan from one American Bank put ALL the Interest in 1st Year OK... KNN...
After 1st year I still owe them my full loan amount. I was so C2Pid not to read the fine lines...
Kena conned...

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Alechi
  • Alechi
    5th Gear
    Author Image

not necessary.... because due to change in law for rule 78...... the 20% may still be charged under HP law.... but it must be stated in your contract... look thru your contract details and see if it is stated....

i used to work in a finance company.... hopefully my info is not our dated

yes, this is right.
the new rule came into being about 5 yrs ago.
all hire purchase contracts should contain the revised clause already.
otherwise, it must simply be the company sleeping, which is quite unlikely given that this is a P&L issue to them.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Alvinnoob
  • Alvinnoob
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

it is not.. it is a different matter altogether... dun mislead leh

opps.. my bad

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

to me.. as long as you have taken a loan.. it is best to carry on till end of tenure....

i know you intending to change car.... try not to....unless absolutely necessary

wah, like tat also know... power laugh.gif

apart from intending to change car, my interest is high. 3%, thus was thinking of clearing the debt, then my cost of ownership will be further decrease happy.gif
bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Vextan
  • Vextan
    6th Gear
    Author Image

i just took a iHP loan from posb, the int rate is low and no penalty (insignificant) upon early redemption.
There is only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Treesmaker
  • Treesmaker
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

i just took a iHP loan from posb, the int rate is low and no penalty (insignificant) upon early redemption.

Same here. 1.88%, no penalty for early redemption.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

wah, like tat also know... power laugh.gif

saw your accident thread before

apart from intending to change car, my interest is high. 3%, thus was thinking of clearing the debt, then my cost of ownership will be further decrease happy.gif

how long loan you take and left how many years?

anyway anything more than 3yrs... you carry on lar.... overall you will lose more when refinancing..

also fyi if you duno... interest rate quoted is nominal rate... the effective rate (actualy rate you are paying) is about double....

Edited by Galantspeedz, 15 September 2010 - 12:50 AM.

MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

I am not sure about my Jazz loan with DBS, whether got the rule78 or what.

Actually once I take the loan I already expected to pay the full interest(considering it as total car prices), any lowered payment for early redeemption, should be considered as savings.

The SE told me got lock in 18 months before I can do any redemption.
Seems like some cash rebate type of thing that PI used to practice.
Else I wonders how the hell they can sell the Jazz at a so-called 'loss'.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

Atlantis80
  • Premium member
    Atlantis80
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Hmm.. interesting question.
For cars below $55k (excluding COE), it is governed by the HP Act. Given that the HP Act is more stringent than HP Common Law in terms of protecting the consumer's rights, does the bank or FI actually have the right to impose the additional 20% penalty on top of the rule of 78 penalty? The consumer is already penalised once by the rule of 78 during early settlement. Does the Act prevent him from being penalised a second time?

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: Early, Car, Loan, Settlement and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users