Search
Tioman Mersing Trip

• Search this thread
14 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

Centrino
  • Centrino
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all, i am going for a Tioman trip...Would like to ask if there is any safe carpark at mersing jetty for park my car for 2 nights, and how much does it charge? heard the old fenced car park is no longer there... thanks

My Travel Photos Gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/worldwonders

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Last I was there, the fenced up carpark was still there next to the jetty. (collect plastic coin system)

But I parked opposite to that next to the restaurant. That carpark is also barricaded at night. At least it is tarmac rather than grass patch. But its small though..... do arrive real early (maybe 1 hour before) to ensure a lot.... then take your time for breakfast and moving your barang to the jetty.

Can't really remember.... think it was like RM12/day.....parked there for 4 days before.

Hi all, i am going for a Tioman trip...Would like to ask if there is any safe carpark at mersing jetty for park my car for 2 nights, and how much does it charge? heard the old fenced car park is no longer there... thanks

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Strat
  • Premium member
    Strat
    4th Gear

anyone been drove and park at mersing lately?
planning trip and need some advice...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

Nd1509
  • Nd1509
    Neutral Newbie

Im driving to Mersing for Tioman this coming 28 Feb. Any advice guy? :)

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Carmour
  • Premium member
    Carmour
    5th Gear

Any recommendations for good resorts?

Should I DIY and book the resort myself, or book a package from a SG tour agency?
Help me, and I will thank you.
Constructive & helpful replies, I will PRAISE.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Carmour
  • Premium member
    Carmour
    5th Gear

No one go Tioman recently?
Any experiences shared will be useful!
Help me, and I will thank you.
Constructive & helpful replies, I will PRAISE.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear

Going in August again this year. Berjaya..... its about the 2nd best I think.... think Jamapala or something like that name is a boutique resort that costs a fair bit more. But it's like built on the side of a steep slope and there's nowhere else to go. So unless you take a boat ride to the main town area... else you're stuck there.

Depends on where you want to stay. For me, I book separately the lodgings and the ferry. Ferry rates are (RM70 adult/RM60 child) for a return ticket.
You can do your sums to see what makes sense for your case. you can search the internet for the resorts and prices....

Parking next to the jetty if full.... then park in other areas nearby. There's always these parking touts about, especially in the wee hours like 5 am if its an early ferry. Can follow them and park in front of their house (fenced parking lot was not open yet). I did that last time for 4 days and was fine. Can't re,e,ber the rates but think it was like RM10/day.....

Hope this helps.

No one go Tioman recently?
Any experiences shared will be useful!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    6th Gear

Going in August again this year. Berjaya..... its about the 2nd best I think.... think Jamapala or something like that name is a boutique resort that costs a fair bit more. But it's like built on the side of a steep slope and there's nowhere else to go. So unless you take a boat ride to the main town area... else you're stuck there.

Depends on where you want to stay. For me, I book separately the lodgings and the ferry. Ferry rates are (RM70 adult/RM60 child) for a return ticket.
You can do your sums to see what makes sense for your case. you can search the internet for the resorts and prices....

Parking next to the jetty if full.... then park in other areas nearby. There's always these parking touts about, especially in the wee hours like 5 am if its an early ferry. Can follow them and park in front of their house (fenced parking lot was not open yet). I did that last time for 4 days and was fine. Can't re,e,ber the rates but think it was like RM10/day.....

Hope this helps.

Have you tried departing from Tanjung Gemuk? How is Berjaya? Heard it is quite rundown but some of the rooms have been renovated. Also, as compared to Redang or Perhentain, are the marine life and corals in better shape? Redang is not as good as before when I visited last year. Being toying with a Tioman trip....

Edited by Voodooman, 29 May 2012 - 08:10 AM.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear

Have you tried departing from Tanjung Gemuk? How is Berjaya? Heard it is quite rundown but some of the rooms have been renovated. Also, as compared to Redang or Perhentain, are the marine life and corals in better shape? Redang is not as good as before when I visited last year. Being toying with a Tioman trip....

Nope. Have not tried TG as its further and i'm unsure of the parking conditions there.

Berjaya chalets are alright. Just dun take their apartments which is away from the main resort. That one is really run down and inconvenient as one would have to take the shuttle up the hill. Walk would be about 20 min from main reception. I dun do any snorkeling or diving so cannot advise on that . But from the shore, there 's little if any corals to see. I see most taking the boats out for this activity. There's 2 coffee shops just outside the main resort gates . One malay and the other chinese chi char . Provides you the option to eat cheaper rather than all inside the berjaya restaurants . Can rent their scooter from the locals at the main gate. Rm50 for the day. 10 min ride from berjaya which is at one end, to the other which is the museum and fish feeding pontoon .

Edited by Dwoon, 31 May 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    6th Gear

Nope. Have not tried TG as its further and i'm unsure of the parking conditions there.

Berjaya chalets are alright. Just dun take their apartments which is away from the main resort. That one is really run down and inconvenient as one would have to take the shuttle up the hill. Walk would be about 20 min from main reception. I dun do any snorkeling or diving so cannot advise on that . But from the shore, there 's little if any corals to see. I see most taking the boats out for this activity. There's 2 coffee shops just outside the main resort gates . One malay and the other chinese chi char . Provides you the option to eat cheaper rather than all inside the berjaya restaurants . Can rent their scooter from the locals at the main gate. Rm50 for the day. 10 min ride from berjaya which is at one end, to the other which is the museum and fish feeding pontoon .

Thanks. I am considering taking the junior suite, heard they have been renovated in 2011. Thanks for the travel and makan tips.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious

think Jamapala or something like that name is a boutique resort that costs a fair bit more

Its full when I asked for July and August
Please don't leave me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Bandotcom
  • Bandotcom
    2nd Gear

I'm heading there (Berjaya Tioman) next week. I choosed for week days as my friend advised me not to go during week end of peak period cos the Q is superb terrible. Wish me luck. TQ

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Nephilim
  • Nephilim
    4th Gear

Redang > Perhentian >>> Tioman

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    6th Gear

Redang > Perhentian >>> Tioman

That is what I thought but due to coral bleaching in recent years, the marine life in Redang has probably halved and I saw a lot of dead corals last year (compared to 5 years ago), someone told me Tioman's situation is not as bad. I take it with a pinch of salt as they are more or less in the same area, facing the same South China Sea. You been to any of the islands recently?

For Perhentian, if you charter a boat out, there are areas that rival what Redang has to offer but as a whole, I agree that Redang is slightly ahead in this aspect.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Nephilim
  • Nephilim
    4th Gear

That is what I thought but due to coral bleaching in recent years, the marine life in Redang has probably halved and I saw a lot of dead corals last year (compared to 5 years ago), someone told me Tioman's situation is not as bad. I take it with a pinch of salt as they are more or less in the same area, facing the same South China Sea. You been to any of the islands recently?

For Perhentian, if you charter a boat out, there are areas that rival what Redang has to offer but as a whole, I agree that Redang is slightly ahead in this aspect.

Admittedly I've stopped visiting these islands for a couple of years now though I've just been to Redang last August. Was visiting them fairly regularly for 8+ years.

Yup this is broadly-speaking and it can depend on whether you are there for diving (explore farther and deeper) or just snorkeling (limited to beach/house reef and the usual snorkeling sites).

Anyway it saddens me to see the deterioration of the reef in the region over the years. smallcry.gif

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Others Top

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users