Any XC60 Owners out there

Macluver

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Dear all XC60 owners, I would like to revive this topic as I find it hard to find any Volvo forum in Singapore as the SG Volvo Club is dead. 

I bought my new XC60 T5 in Oct last year and so far I am pretty happy with the performance of the car. It is a very powerful and comfortable car however there are a few complains as well. Firstly, the passenger seat lumbar support motor is already short circuited and need to be replaced. The tow hitch cover at the front cover dropped off by itself while I was driving. I am surprised with these issues as I am expecting better quality from Volvo The City Safety feature have also been activated 4 times so far when I am approaching the parking gantry which is pretty annoying. Do any of you face such issues? Can you share with us any other issues that you have faced with your XC60.

Have any of you installed the mud guard? I hate the dirt on the car doors on raining days. Wearnes quoted $500 for the mud guard which is I find it too expensive. There are many XC60 mud guards for sales in the internet for a fraction of that price. Have any of you bought and install these mud guard? Care to share your experience?

Edited by alf8168
↡ Advertisement

Dear all XC60 owners, I would like to revive this topic as I find it hard to find any Volvo forum in Singapore as the SG Volvo Club is dead. 

I bought my new XC60 T5 in Oct last year and so far I am pretty happy with the performance of the car. It is a very powerful and comfortable car however there are a few complains as well. Firstly, the passenger seat lumbar support motor is already short circuited and need to be replaced. The tow hitch cover at the front cover dropped off by itself while I was driving. I am surprised with these issues as I am expecting better quality from Volvo The City Safety feature have also been activated 4 times so far when I am approaching the parking gantry which is pretty annoying. Do any of you face such issues? Can you share with us any other issues that you have faced with your XC60.

Have any of you installed the mud guard? I hate the dirt on the car doors on raining days. Wearnes quoted $500 for the mud guard which is I find it too expensive. There are many XC60 mud guards for sales in the internet for a fraction of that price. Have any of you bought and install these mud guard? Care to share your experience?

New as in brand new or new as in management car or second hand?

If new, Wearnes will replace based on the warranty, no questions asked. 

Many wowo onwers I know have activated city safety a few times and sometimes it has prevented them from colliding into the car in front.  [thumbsup] City safety is there to protect you.  Don't drive up too fast towards any gantry.  If you find it a chore, you can always disable it.  [confused]

Neutral Newbie

New as in brand new or new as in management car or second hand?

If new, Wearnes will replace based on the warranty, no questions asked. 

Many wowo onwers I know have activated city safety a few times and sometimes it has prevented them from colliding into the car in front.  [thumbsup] City safety is there to protect you.  Don't drive up too fast towards any gantry.  If you find it a chore, you can always disable it.  [confused]

I brought my XC60 brand new. Yes, Wearnes replaced all faulty items under warranty but I would not expect this to happen as the car is only 4 months old as I expect better quality from Volvo

Neutral Newbie

I notice my XC60 engine noise is rather loud when pressing the accelerator. Has anyone add sound proofing at the fire wall? Any recommendation as to when to get this done?

I currently own a XC60 T5, 3 years old more than 100,000km (I drive a lot in Singapore) and previously S80 2.5T with 170,000km before I change to this XC60.

My thoughts : XC60 is softer and more comfortable compared to S80. Mine is on 18 inch wheel. Not R design. But softer also means that when turning at high speed it tends to sway more than my S80.

Engine sound for the T5 engine is really noisy. Sometimes I thought it sounded like a diesel. But the insulation quite good so inside the car cannot hear much of engine noise.

Reliability I think its average. Some of the problems occured during the warranty period of my XC60

- One of the rear strut crack, had to wait in workshop for 2 weeks for them to bring the parts from Sweden. They said too dangerous to drive (it literally sway from end to end), so I had to rent my own car for 2 weeks, but the repair is under warranty,

- Driver seat sag due to one of the brancket broke, replaced under warranty

- the check engine light came out before, they said it was oxygen sensor, replaced already,

So far gear and engine ok.

My previous S80, after warranty period, the air-cond compressor spolt twice, i think around 105,000km and then 160,000km, each time more than $2000 to change, I think suspension also changed after the warranty period.

Overall why I like Volvo:

- Seats are very comfortable, I drive a lot so I want a comfortable seat

- Brakes in the S80 is very good, but the XC60 not so strong, I think it is because it is a heavier car.

- new car price tends to be cheaper than Merc, BMW or Audi, but then the resale also lower 

What I don't like

- Cannot sprint at traffic light, you get a scary torque steer, too powerful FWD

- steering is very numb, not communicative

- interior quality not luxurious if compared to Merc or Audi

Before I bought my XC60, I went to try X3 2.0 (was underpowered same price as XC60, the more powerful 2.8 was more expensive), Range Rover Evoque (inside very very cramp),, Audi Q5 (suspension too hard, very sporty but bouncy), Lexus NX (too small inside also). 

If you are looking for a comfortable, fairly reliable, XC60 is a good choice, but not sporty or nice to drive.

Nowadays the competitors like Audi is giving 5 years unlimited mileagle, BMW 4 years 200,000km warranty, Volvo is still 3 years 100,000km

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

I currently own a XC60 T5, 3 years old more than 100,000km (I drive a lot in Singapore) and previously S80 2.5T with 170,000km before I change to this XC60.

My thoughts : XC60 is softer and more comfortable compared to S80. Mine is on 18 inch wheel. Not R design. But softer also means that when turning at high speed it tends to sway more than my S80.

Engine sound for the T5 engine is really noisy. Sometimes I thought it sounded like a diesel. But the insulation quite good so inside the car cannot hear much of engine noise.

Reliability I think its average. Some of the problems occured during the warranty period of my XC60

- One of the rear strut crack, had to wait in workshop for 2 weeks for them to bring the parts from Sweden. They said too dangerous to drive (it literally sway from end to end), so I had to rent my own car for 2 weeks, but the repair is under warranty,

- Driver seat sag due to one of the brancket broke, replaced under warranty

- the check engine light came out before, they said it was oxygen sensor, replaced already,

So far gear and engine ok.

My previous S80, after warranty period, the air-cond compressor spolt twice, i think around 105,000km and then 160,000km, each time more than $2000 to change, I think suspension also changed after the warranty period.

Overall why I like Volvo:

- Seats are very comfortable, I drive a lot so I want a comfortable seat

- Brakes in the S80 is very good, but the XC60 not so strong, I think it is because it is a heavier car.

- new car price tends to be cheaper than Merc, BMW or Audi, but then the resale also lower 

What I don't like

- Cannot sprint at traffic light, you get a scary torque steer, too powerful FWD

- steering is very numb, not communicative

- interior quality not luxurious if compared to Merc or Audi

Before I bought my XC60, I went to try X3 2.0 (was underpowered same price as XC60, the more powerful 2.8 was more expensive), Range Rover Evoque (inside very very cramp),, Audi Q5 (suspension too hard, very sporty but bouncy), Lexus NX (too small inside also). 

If you are looking for a comfortable, fairly reliable, XC60 is a good choice, but not sporty or nice to drive.

Nowadays the competitors like Audi is giving 5 years unlimited mileagle, BMW 4 years 200,000km warranty, Volvo is still 3 years 100,000km

Thanks for sharing Rangie. Good insight 

I am surprised that Wearnes did not provide you with a management car while waiting 2 weeks for the rear strut to be fixed.

As for the seat, even though it is comfortable but I don't find it good fit (not body hugging) to my body especially when travelling long distance to KL. I think it is designed for a larger size European body.

It is a matter of time Wearnes will increase the warranty to 5 years.

Any other XC60 owners out there care to share your experience and issues on your XC60?

Neutral Newbie

Before I bought my XC60 in Oct 2016, I have test drove Audi A6, Q3, Q5, BMW 5 series, X3 and X5, Mercedes C200 and E200 and Lexus NX200 and RX200. I still find XC60 is the best value for money with the car build and power. It has smooth transmission and comfortable ride, only Lexus is better and the worst is Merc. In terms of power, XC60 is the most powerful car in this category as it beats the rest in the similar cc range.

What I like

1) Good looking car

2) Powerful engine

3) 20 inches rim and tyres

4) Petrol comsumption >10km/l

5) Comfortable ride

6) Smooth 8-speed automatic gearbox

7) Adaptive TFT display with unique look

8) City Safety function

What I do not like

1) Lack of storage space as compared to Japanese car

2) Engine noise - lack of sound proofing at the firewall

3) Even though the seat is comfortable but it was designed for large size Europeans hence it is not so body hugging for Asians and it is not so comfortable for the long ride to KL

4) No AWD

Issues encountered so far

1) The front passenger seat lumbar motor has been short cicuited (to be replaced under warranty)

2) The tow hitch cover at the front cover dropped off by itself while I was driving - replaced under warranty

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi XC60 owners, I have been driving my new XC60 for 7 months now and my petrol consumption has been consistently at around 10km/l. I have been driving on highway most of the time and have also been using eco mode regularly. Is this consistent with your XC60 petrol consumption?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I think we have to be realistic.. SUVs are taller hence requires more focus on stability At higher speeds stiffer suspension is a must. They are designed to tow boats and trailers in most countries. In autobahn, they travel at max speed levels. In sgp, our butts are so accustomed at 90kmh using low powered japanese comfort butt rides, very few of us can take harder rides. Just compare the mercedes saloon and most europeans cars other than french has much stiffer rides. Its the fault of our poorly maintained asian roads not the cars. I own a xc60 T6 for the last 8 years and with 60% highway i am getting 9km per L ever since till today. It has clocked 195k and had almost zero problems except once repairing front shaft due to wear and tear. It has Incredible reliability which comes with regular maintenance.its a dog world we live in today so the big boys use their personal agenda well to tell the world a bad story about other makes and models to scare people away.

Edited by BenRob
  • Praise 1

hello everyone

I am looking to buy a used Xc60 and was wondering if there's issues which i need to know such as problematics areas of the car etc. Any recommended workshop and how's the servicing compared to merc, lexus etc? What's the most expensive thing that needs to be changed etc. Thanks

hello everyone

I am looking to buy a used Xc60 and was wondering if there's issues which i need to know such as problematics areas of the car etc. Any recommended workshop and how's the servicing compared to merc, lexus etc? What's the most expensive thing that needs to be changed etc. Thanks

I had the 2015 XC60 T5 for 2.5 years with 100k mileage and before that a S80. My experience with Volvos are fairly reliable up to 100k and after that problems would occur. I had aircon compressor changed more than $2k, suspension wore out I think easily more than 1k etc all done at Wearnes as I did not bring outside.

it's a nice car to drive, very comfortable seats, too powerful as it cause torque steer if accelerate hard. I find SUV a bit less stable if turn fast compared to my S80 sedan.

Depends on your mileage. A low mileage like below 50k should be fine. Get the newer 8 speed auto T5 and not the older 6 speed 2.0T as the engine is more fuel efficient and gears better. These are the post 2015 XC60.