Turkey & Taiwan: Turkey or Taiwan for this Dec holiday?

Dannyk

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, anyone has any experiences to share for Turkey vacation and which tour group is highly recommended. We are deciding between Taiwan and Turkey for this Dec.

Hope to hear from you guys soon...

[wave]

↡ Advertisement

I'll prefer Taiwan if going during Dec. Especially Taipei is so much nearer than Turkey.

Also temp during Dec is cooling for Taiwan but rather cold for Turkey, which means many extra clothings etc. [:(]

I'll prefer Taiwan if going during Dec. Especially Taipei is so much nearer than Turkey.

Also temp during Dec is cooling for Taiwan but rather cold for Turkey, which means many extra clothings etc. [:(]

yes, Turkey is very cold. Especially Ankara. Around -10 degrees at night. Istanbul should be the warmest, warmed by ocean currents. Felt like "only" zero degrees when i went years ago LOL. Very "warm" compared with Ankara hahahahaha

Neutral Newbie

We have been to taiwan many years back but not Turkey. For taiwan we intend to F&E and turkey to join tour group. We are fine for both, eating-shopping and sightseeing... Our concern for turkey is food, hygiene and safety

Edited by Dannyk

yes, Turkey is very cold. Especially Ankara. Around -10 degrees at night. Istanbul should be the warmest, warmed by ocean currents. Felt like "only" zero degrees when i went years ago LOL. Very "warm" compared with Ankara hahahahaha

[laugh] This sounds familiar....once my colleague had to travel to Russia for work and our agent actually e-mailed him saying that it's good that he's coming this month 'cos it's warm now. Turned out that when he arrived, it was -15

bro, you went there for vacation? by tour group or f&e

tour group. I won't suggest F&E for Turkey. Language and cultural barrier, not to mention the vast distances need to cover in order to go to the historical sites, their greatest attraction.

If u want eating n shopping, forget it, unless u r like me, like Middle-east food. Every meal lamb chop very shiok i love it. But my traditional-minded parents buay tahan and suffered alot, eat maggi mee inside the hotel LOL. There's nothing to buy also, unless u r a muslim and love islamic ornaments and carpets.

But i would choose Turkey over Taiwan, personally. If i want to eat and shop, i will do it at home, not take plane elsewhere. Go on holiday is to experience something totally different from our usual life.

We have been to taiwan many years back but not Turkey. For taiwan we intend to F&E and turkey to join tour group. We are fine for both, eating-shopping and sightseeing... Our concern for turkey is food, hygiene and safety

You've been to other places like Hualien other than Taipei? I've only visited Taiwan twice.

I've yet to visit them but my Taiwanese colleagues told me that these places are beautiful and worth visiting.

Hi guys, anyone has any experiences to share for Turkey vacation and which tour group is highly recommended. We are deciding between Taiwan and Turkey for this Dec.

[wave]

For Turkey, if you are going with family/kids then probably it's better to join a tour group. But if you're going with friends/gfren/alone then Turkey is super duper fun for F&E.

I've travelled from Istanbul all the way to Mount Ararat near the Iranian border and back, and my favourite places are those in Eastern Turkey. But looking at your avatar, my best memory of Turkey was that famous night in Istanbul in 2005! [sunny]

Neutral Newbie

I will be travelling with my wife, f&e concern is the language barrier and this time round I have no time to do the planning, hotel booking and iternary research etc..

Ya, the 2005 night in Istanbul is awesome, the most memorable night for all Liverpool fans. Wonder need to wait for how much longer to see Liverpool to take another trophy again...

Edited by Dannyk

No prob with language for me. Many turks speak English (even in far east Kurdish areas). I also got by with a small phrase book for when speaking with the 'local' locals who don't speak English.

The transportation system is very similar to Malaysia where long-distance coaches are the dominant mode of transport and every town has a long-distance coach interchange (otogar). Just buy your ticket from the counter you trust and hop on to the air-conditioned coach, just like in JB Larkin and KL Puduraya [:p]

But I do agree that Dec will be cold (with snow in Anatolia) and the nights long.

You've been to other places like Hualien other than Taipei? I've only visited Taiwan twice.

I've yet to visit them but my Taiwanese colleagues told me that these places are beautiful and worth visiting.

Hello hello! I'm in Taiwan now and in airport on way back. Hualien is ok la, one day tour enough to cover. Main attraction is the gorge. FR: 6.5/10. No food there. Best to hire a taxi at the train station. 2 hr train ride from Taipei.

Hello hello! I'm in Taiwan now and in airport on way back. Hualien is ok la, one day tour enough to cover. Main attraction is the gorge. FR: 6.5/10. No food there. Best to hire a taxi at the train station. 2 hr train ride from Taipei.

Bro, you mean that there's no eateries around the place?

Where else in Taiwan did you visit this time? Care to share? I'm thinking of visiting Taiwan next year... [cool]

are u the eating-shopping-comfort-zone type

or the historical-cultural-buff-try-anything-new type?

Pretty much this. But I don't know about the climate for both in december.

[wave]

Better book fast, I heard Turkey's going fast.

Turkey. Taiwan can go anytime..

Huh? Turkey can also go anytime what..... [confused]

Just like Turkey, if you go Taiwan during the wrong season you might not enjoy the trip afterall.......

Edited by WTF
↡ Advertisement