2011 VOLVO S60

Yahgo22

Thinking of getting this car... any feedback from the bros that bought the S60 recently and what to look out for?

↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating between Audi A4, BMW 3, Merc C180 and Volvo S60. I am leaning towards S60 for its devotion to safety (which is my main concern).

However, I am just wondering, are the other cars just as good in terms of safety?

Secondly, is S60 much cheaper than the other cars?

Lastly, Will I end up losing more money due to the poor resale value of S60 years down the road, compared to the other cars? (i.e. lower initial purchase price, but much lower resale price, resulting in higher depreciation compared to the other cars).

Thanks alot!

Hi I am driving an S60 T4 R-Design. I was like u too with the choices of cars... but the Audi was the first one out. CVT gearbox is just yucky. Then it was the old 3-Series... that was out too coz BMW seems to build cars that last only 3 years. Heard too many horror stories for BMWs from friends and relatives who own them. And if you check the price for spare parts, BMWs are the most expensive ($390 for front brake pads alone!, Volvo charges $190). It was between the C180 and S60 then... but C180 is so common on the roads now. Yes it is superbly built, but if u are considering the 1.6-litre kompressor version then I say don't bother. The 5-speed auto is very slow and the engine is just so unrefined. The 1.8 turbo CGI is the one to go for if you intend to get the C-Class.

I went for the S60 because it has a twin-clutch (wet) gearbox, has a powerful engine too. You can feel a 2nd wave of surge past 5000rpm, which is surprising. The seats are the most comfortable and the exterior has very sleek lines compared to the angular lines of the rest.

Safety wise... Volvo is definitely the best out there. I went to paintless dent removal recently to remove a dent and the guy exclaimed that the metal is so thick... took him a lot of effort to got the dent out. And City Safety has saved me from hitting a taxi last month when a taxi swerved from 1st lane to 3rd lane to pick up a passenger... the car braked itself when i was just accelerating from the traffic lights. The Volvo didn't came to a complete halt... it disengaged when the taxi went to the 3rd lane, really a beautiful system.

So far i'm a very happy owner and I am glad that I didn't join the crowd because I don't like to be a me-too.

Hi I am driving an S60 T4 R-Design. I was like u too with the choices of cars... but the Audi was the first one out. CVT gearbox is just yucky. Then it was the old 3-Series... that was out too coz BMW seems to build cars that last only 3 years. Heard too many horror stories for BMWs from friends and relatives who own them. And if you check the price for spare parts, BMWs are the most expensive ($390 for front brake pads alone!, Volvo charges $190). It was between the C180 and S60 then... but C180 is so common on the roads now. Yes it is superbly built, but if u are considering the 1.6-litre kompressor version then I say don't bother. The 5-speed auto is very slow and the engine is just so unrefined. The 1.8 turbo CGI is the one to go for if you intend to get the C-Class.

I went for the S60 because it has a twin-clutch (wet) gearbox, has a powerful engine too. You can feel a 2nd wave of surge past 5000rpm, which is surprising. The seats are the most comfortable and the exterior has very sleek lines compared to the angular lines of the rest.

Safety wise... Volvo is definitely the best out there. I went to paintless dent removal recently to remove a dent and the guy exclaimed that the metal is so thick... took him a lot of effort to got the dent out. And City Safety has saved me from hitting a taxi last month when a taxi swerved from 1st lane to 3rd lane to pick up a passenger... the car braked itself when i was just accelerating from the traffic lights. The Volvo didn't came to a complete halt... it disengaged when the taxi went to the 3rd lane, really a beautiful system.

So far i'm a very happy owner and I am glad that I didn't join the crowd because I don't like to be a me-too.

How much did you pay for the S60 T4?

Should I go T4 or T5? I just need a safe car, not car enthusiast or aggressive driver.

Supersonic

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating between Audi A4, BMW 3, Merc C180 and Volvo S60. I am leaning towards S60 for its devotion to safety (which is my main concern).

However, I am just wondering, are the other cars just as good in terms of safety?

Secondly, is S60 much cheaper than the other cars?

Lastly, Will I end up losing more money due to the poor resale value of S60 years down the road, compared to the other cars? (i.e. lower initial purchase price, but much lower resale price, resulting in higher depreciation compared to the other cars).

Thanks alot!

The new S60 T4 is a nice car. But if you're concerned abt resale value - better stay away from a new volvo and go for MB instead. Nowadays, almost all conti car oso 5-star NCAP liao so safety not realli much of a difference. MB's safety is legendary tho it doesn't revolve its marketing solely around that. Plus, for abt the same $$, I would certainly go for RWD rather than FWD.

The new S60 T4 is a nice car. But if you're concerned abt resale value - better stay away from a new volvo and go for MB instead. Nowadays, almost all conti car oso 5-star NCAP liao so safety not realli much of a difference. MB's safety is legendary tho it doesn't revolve its marketing solely around that. Plus, for abt the same $$, I would certainly go for RWD rather than FWD.

Sat in the S60 during the roadshow at suntec today, the bucket seats really made me and my family members feel that the rear seats are very packed and even the shoulder space is very constrained, compared to our jap B&B 1.6L car...

Secondly, the closing of the door doesn't give a nice "thud" either.

Overall, I feel that the S60's seats and rear cabin space are quite small and squeezy.

I also went to try the C180, surprisingly, I feel that the interior is much more spacious, probably due to the non-bucket seats.

Safety features, S60 has more stuff as standard, C180 seems pretty bare-bone for the C180K

does parent owned by china chery shake ur opinion

Yup, noted, let's move on from this point. Apple stuff are made in China too, moreover, Volvo in SG are not made in china.

I am just quite disappointed from the experience when i am seated in the rear passenger seats, too cramp :angry:

Secondly, the closing of the door doesn't give a nice "thud" either.

Overall, I feel that the S60's seats and rear cabin space are quite small and squeezy.

I also went to try the C180, surprisingly, I feel that the interior is much more spacious, probably due to the non-bucket seats.

The Volvo's door will never give the same resounding thud of the Merc (read: solid).

That alone speaks plenty about their quality difference.

With the roof line sloping rearward, the S60's rear section is rather claustrophobic.

Which car suits my fancy?

Definitely the German-owned, German-made car, with one of the richest history in automobil manufacture.

Errr the other one is a pretentious Swede, but made somewhere else in Europe and China-owned, with an in-between American step father :wacko:

Just to share with potential buyers of S60, it is truly a safe car, it scored full 5-stars for all aspects of the crash test by the more stringent new NHTSA standard:

S60: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5...?vehicleId=6302

That's only one crash test result, among many done.

All others, including NCAP and IIHS, put the C-Class on par with the S60, in

terms of safety.

I'd rather believe in the more intrrnationally-ubiquitous NCAP.

Edited by Jolie888

I believe that's a S60 2001 edition, unless they are able to test a 2010/2011/2012 S60 in 2001

It really doesn't matter, they are all about there!

That was my point.

No need to slice and dice.

The Merc still pips the Volvo in all other aspects.

↡ Advertisement