2010 Mazda 3 rpm

Bjory

I realized my new ride which I'm still running in, even when I gently accelerate, my rpm still seems quite high. Around 2500 - 3000. Is this normal? Any 2010 Mazda 3 owners can comment? I'm driving the 1.6A.

↡ Advertisement

I realized my new ride which I'm still running in, even when I gently accelerate, my rpm still seems quite high. Around 2500 - 3000. Is this normal? Any 2010 Mazda 3 owners can comment? I'm driving the 1.6A.

hi i own the prev gen mazda3sp.

yes its fine to have rpm around that figure even with gentle acceleration.

u'r on 17 inch right?

this car is too heavy for the engine.

Neutral Newbie

Yes this is normal. I drove the previous gen before changing to this new model. This new 3 is much more responsive in throttle than the old 3. [:)]

Yes this is normal. I drove the previous gen before changing to this new model. This new 3 is much more responsive in throttle than the old 3. [:)]

No wonder no matter how gentle I step on the accelerator, I just can't keep the RPM down. It changes gear everytime over 2000rpm.

Neutral Newbie

U can actually keep the rpm down by holding your foot to let it just touch the accelerator very lightly.

But aftermath, your foot will get cramped. [laugh] Btw, Im moving off at 3-3.5K rpm everytime.

Practice makes perfect. Have fun with your new 3 :)

Neutral Newbie

yea this is normal, the mazda 3 is a very revvy car. not like my previous car. mine normally shifts at 2.5k but as some of the bros suggest, maintain at 2k regularly and see if the ecu learns to shift then :P

Hi Bjory, if u know how to drive a manual car, i wld suggest tt u try the semi-manual mode. i hardly drive fully auto with it nowadays..haha..

like most ppl alrd said, this model revv pretty readily, a bit too much if u asked me. smtimes from filter lane w/o coming to a stop, u just step a bit hard, it will shot up to 5k rpm before shifting up. so it actually depends whether u like e pull or not.

wif e semi-manual gearbox, u can choose and control when to shift up. if i'm on a leisure drive, i will shift up at 2k rpm. but if i wanna go faster, i just revv up to the sweet spot for each shift. once hit cruising speed and smooth traffic condition, switch back to D mode (some bro have mentioned tt D mode is more efficient compared to the 4th gear). hope this helps. cheers!

Yeah, I kinda realised that if I need to rev up abit to overtake or move off, it shoot all the way up to 4k rpm.

What I do for now is, if rpm goes higher than 2.5k, I just release accelerator abit to let the rpm go down, the step back accerelator again. It does changes gear after I step back.

Since I'm trying to run in below 3k rpm, sometimes its quite a challenge.

haha.. i think you are going through e same phase that i did back then. :) well, it does work by releasing before stepg again, usually e gearbox will upshift by itself. but it's nt that smooth driving in such a manner. and it will feel almost like driving a manual car by doing so, minus the clutching in of cos. haha. and e downside is, for it to upshift, u need to step hard enough, which is usually hitting almost 3k rpm. if not, e car will just slow down if e gear shifting is not completed.

so u might as well make full use of the semi-manual feature. e car will accelerate smoothly if u upshift systematically at 2-2.5k rpm with ur foot on e accelerator (but note tt at this range, it's meant more for leisure driving, and if u allow it to climb to 3k each time before shifting up, e acceleration u ll get in return will feel much better..haha). besides, this feature will also come in very handy when braking. i will downshift to let the engine-break kick in (rmb to step on e break when downshifting from higher speed, if not u will see ur rpm shoot up with the engine roaring), so that i dun hv to step on e break tt hard. it's more effective to come to a stop over shorter distance like tt. but beware of downshifting to gear 1 too soon, the engine break is strongest there and you may get a shock by the "pull back". haha.. hv fun experimenting with it!

Neutral Newbie

Bro if u read the owner's manual, u dont really have to run in the car as of olden days.

Just dont maintain a certain rpm for too long and of cos dont redline it till u change to synthetic oil, u will be fine :D

And yes, D mode is more efficient compared to semi-manual mode in terms of FC for cruising.

Supercharged

RTFM.

it won't explode if it goes beyond 3000 [laugh]

Normal, no worries.

err... 1.6 comes with activematic shift.. if u not happy with shifting at 3rpm, u can DIY

if still not happy, spend a bit more, get the paddle shift one

Edited by Majordan

I tried the activematic. Pretty smooth. hahaha.

But sometimes lazy to keep changing gears.

Anyway, if everyone rev till around 3k rpm before changing gears then its pretty normal for me too :)

I tried the activematic. Pretty smooth. hahaha.

But sometimes lazy to keep changing gears.

Anyway, if everyone rev till around 3k rpm before changing gears then its pretty normal for me too :)

there's also another good reason to use the activematic gear. there was once i ferried my 4 other frens with full load in the boot. the moment i step on accelerator under D mode when moving off the parking lot, e RPM shot up with engine roaring, as the car tried to accelerate and matched the full load. it was a bit annoying. And after that, switch to the activematic, everything became much better as i can control to upshift at 2-2.5, end up quieter and smoother, even though a bit slow. but anyway, cant zoom zoom zoom so many ppl inside plus e delicate stuff in e boot. [laugh]

other times, i normally upshift at 3k to optimise the pickup. [thumbsup]

:blink: I tot the activematic is a manumatic that is it has a torque converter.

Dont torque converter cars 'free wheel' just like bicycle meaning theres no engine break.

↡ Advertisement