Passport expiry. Urgent question

Friendstar

Actually this 6-month rule seems a bit kiasu. Taking into account that a person needs some time to renew passport, and to avoid awkward situation of the passport expiring while overseas, 3 months seem more than enough.

And if you're going for a short trip, say, 1 week, as long as your passport is still valid for another week should logically be enough.

Imposing this 6-month rule is like cutting short your passport's validity by 6 months. Though it has 6 more months to go, it's as good as expired.

Not true, they'll bring forward the leftover period to the new passport, up to 9 months.

Usually ICA takes 3-5 days, but if you bring your niece to ICA personally, tell them you need the passport urgently, they can get it done the next working day. BUT you must tell them you need it urgently

Hi all. Very urgent question.

If my niece's passport expiry is 3 months later, can She still clear custom to Johor?

Or is there a minimum number of months before expiry, for instance 6 months before expiry.

JB hack care one lah.. last time my one less than 3 months also can go thru. But when I go HK, I apply for a temporary clearance paper from SG custom (can't remember the document name), within a day can do liao. I told them I need do close a business deal there so need to fly there urgently. They will interview you one.

Regards,

Actually this 6-month rule seems a bit kiasu. Taking into account that a person needs some time to renew passport, and to avoid awkward situation of the passport expiring while overseas, 3 months seem more than enough.

And if you're going for a short trip, say, 1 week, as long as your passport is still valid for another week should logically be enough.

Imposing this 6-month rule is like cutting short your passport's validity by 6 months. Though it has 6 more months to go, it's as good as expired.

The six month standard is mostly implemented due to restrictions....if your passport runs out while you are travelling it can cause issues, quite while it was settled on 6 months I am not sure, but there is probably a pretty good reason for it (like maybe most countries used to offer 6 month visa or similiar)

its a stupid question. is it so difficult to go and renew passport? 6 months is international rule. its not kiasi, is play safe.

they can let u in, later u come out you wanna face trouble inside there? u have heard of horror stories yet wan to test water.

The six month standard is mostly implemented due to restrictions....if your passport runs out while you are travelling it can cause issues, quite while it was settled on 6 months I am not sure, but there is probably a pretty good reason for it (like maybe most countries used to offer 6 month visa or similiar)

fark you lah, visa is always 3 months validity lah when u apply from singapore to, say Poland. only after u arrive poland, then can you extend the visa.

anyway, singapore passport very convenient la, go where also no need visa. even if need, for instance egypt, you can get it on the spot upon arrival.

JB hack care one lah.. last time my one less than 3 months also can go thru. But when I go HK, I apply for a temporary clearance paper from SG custom (can't remember the document name), within a day can do liao. I told them I need do close a business deal there so need to fly there urgently. They will interview you one.

Regards,

one off incident does not mean that everyone can do the same. the niece also not there do business. pls don give people wrong impression and falsified hopes

the 6 mth validity is imposed by foreign govt, not SG govt. so u need to check if the country u r going has this restriction.

Malaysia has this restriction. i checked before.

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/service...s-into-malaysia

extract :

To enter Malaysia, a visitor should fulfill the following conditions:

i.

Passport or Travel Document

Every person entering Malaysia must possess a valid national Passport or internationally recognized Travel Document valid for travelling to Malaysia.

Any person not in possession of a Passport or Travel Document which is recognized by the Malaysian Government must obtain a Document in lieu of Passport.

Application for the Document in lieu of Passport can be made at any Malaysian Representative Office abroad.

Holders of Travel Documents such as Certificate of Identity, Laisser Passer, Titre de Voyage, Permanent Residence Certificate must ensure that their return ability to the country of origin is assured.

The documents shall be valid, for more than six (6) months from the date of entry.

so if u go in with less than 6 mth validity, u risk getting rejected/fined/jailed/paying kopi $$. for me, it is not worth the trouble. how often have u read in the papers that some poor soul forgot to chop passport kena jailed etc etc. ?? wanna be one of the statistics ? go take a gamble then.

Edited by Toledo

fark you lah, visa is always 3 months validity lah when u apply from singapore to, say Poland. only after u arrive poland, then can you extend the visa.

anyway, singapore passport very convenient la, go where also no need visa. even if need, for instance egypt, you can get it on the spot upon arrival.

The first few words you have posted, is uncalled for. [thumbsdown]

Kindly refer to our forum guideline.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2633346

Postings

Slanderous, defamatory, obscene, violent, abusive, threatening and harassing comments will not be allowed.

Respect the viewpoints of others, even if you may not agree with them. Agree to disagree.

No profanity or obscenities of any kind.

No personal attacks on other users.

No political or racial comments will be allowed.

No impersonation of other participants or public figures.

No FULL CAPS postings. In internet, CAPS equates to shouting.

Refrain from posting information which is not publicly available.

No posting of number plates, unless it is your own. Respect others' privacy.

No copyrighted material is allowed. Please use links instead.

Please declare vested interest (if any) on the topic you are discussing

No multiple postings

If my niece's passport expiry is 3 months later, can She still clear custom to Johor?

Or is there a minimum number of months before expiry, for instance 6 months before expiry.

Get it extended for a peace of mind... Later plan all swee swee liao then all can pass less your niece how?

Please also stop giving wrong info.

who say go everywhere dont need visa? U think u dipolmat or Minister?

There are still a few countries that Sinagporean are required to apply for VISA before u can enter their country.

Example : Russia, Australia, Myanmar

no issue

Never trust on-line ........ [furious] . Yes application is fast but ....

Always got problem with the photograph send in to them. During collection, they check the photo submitted on-line with your face and say, sorry, not recent photo. In the end, had to retake the photo at ICA building and submit on the spot. Had to wait for 3 hrs to collect the redo passport..... [mad]. Just imagine, happily putting only 1/2 hour coupon as collection is faster but kana wait 3 hrs and need to rush to car park to put more coupons. BTW, the fatimah is always at thecar park happily issuing summon tickets.

I rather go to ICA to submit and let them check the photograph..... :ph34r:

How come the ICA carpark still haven't convert to gantry parking?! [thumbsdown]

How come the ICA carpark still haven't convert to gantry parking?! [thumbsdown]

i went there last thursday. Car park already using the ERP gantry type

↡ Advertisement