Vehicles with string of flower in front

Spartan

Source: http://www.diwalifestival.org/diwali-new-year.html

Diwali New Year

Diwali or Deepawali, is not only festival of lights, but also marks the beginning of the Hindu new year. It is one of the most important Indian national celebrations as it is believed that the Hindu goddess of good luck visits homes that are brightly lit. Children make "deeps" which are small clay lamps to light and bring the good luck goddess to their home so they can receive new clothes and toys. The first day of Diwali is also a New Year of Business. All companies pay off debts and their cars are decorated with flowers and palm leaves to bless the vehicles to run well in the new year.

The customs of wearing new garments and exchanging gifts and greetings have come to be associated with Diwali, probably because of this New Year celebrations. Accordingly most of the traditions of a New Year celebration are all present. The occasion sees the spring-cleaning and white-washing of houses; decorative designs or rangolis are painted on floors and walls to greet the new year.

Fresh flowers, exchanges of gifts, new clothes, meeting with friends and family, and feasting are part of the colorful festival. Each region of India celebrates Diwali in its own way, but the lighting of many small earthenware oil lamps is common throughout the country, setting homes and gardens aglow with twinkling lights. The lamps are symbolic of the victory of the light of goodness and knowledge over the darkness of evil and ignorance. The lighting of the lamps is also a way for people to show thanks for the good things in their lives.

• Praise 2

.last time seldom see such flowers hanging on car....but but....times has a changed.

But the past few days, I kept seeing a lot of cars with the flower hanging.

I am thinking it might be the shift in the car ownership to more PR or FT who practiced such customs in their homeland.

Edited by SimonTan

.last time seldom see such flowers hanging on car....but but....times has a changed.

But the past few days, I kept seeing a lot of cars with the flower hanging.

I am thinking it might be the shift in the car ownership to more PR or FT who practiced such customs in their homeland.

while driving to work this morning, I spotted a few lorries with garlands tied to the front of their vehicles.

On one lorry, it was something like 2 small banana plants - - - can't see much as it was rear mirror view.

Wondered what indian festival was going on. Checked with my indian office guy.

Yesterday was some day where the hindus go to the temple to pray for bravery, wisdom, safety, etc.

Then they take home the garlands and other plant stuff and hang on their cars/vehicles the next day.

He told me, the practice is not widely practiced by the locals, but mostly the FW.

Looks like, thei FW culture is permeating .... making presence,,,,,

• Praise 1

I thought FW long long time ago already making presence here, so even their culture is premeating here also not surprise. The first thing came to my mind when i saw this, it is due to deepavali is coming? Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

Possibilities

- wedding car

- deepavali celebrations

- traditions/culture

- ?just collect new car

seen mainly on lorries, shd be ok in my opinion, yes some are nicely done.

advantages of multicultural Singaporean, just respect and acknowledge each other.

Same like flags for NDP, red nose, X mas deer

However, some with additional LEDs may invite LTA/TP....careful bros.

↡ Advertisement