Search
diesel vehicle turbo

• Search this thread
34 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

Aeromania
  • Aeromania
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Bros and Sis,

BTW I just bought a 2nd hand Isuzu D-Max and is wondering if there's a need to install a turbo timer.

And

any difference between diesel and petrol engine? Or any turbo timer fits all?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

For normal turbo timer, it's just a simple device, should be able to fit without any problems.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    Turbocharged

I know not much on Turbo car...what is the purpose of a turbo timer? to delay the shut down of the engine?

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Happily1986
  • Premium member
    Happily1986
    NOS-ed

If your turbo is stock, why would you need a timer?
you thought i was talking about you? BAZINGA PUNK!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

I know not much on Turbo car...what is the purpose of a turbo timer? to delay the shut down of the engine?

Ya to delay cutting off of the engine. Let engine idle after parking to cool down the turbo as oil is still circulating.

A turbo timer can keep an engine running for a pre-specified period of time, to automatically provide this cool-down period. Oil coking is also eliminated by foil bearings. A more complex and problematic protective barrier against oil coking is the use of water-cooled bearing cartridges. The water boils in the cartridge when the engine is shut off and forms a natural recirculation to drain away the heat. Nevertheless, it is not a good idea to shut the engine off while the turbo and manifold are still glowing.

Source: Wiki

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

No there is no need to install a turbo timer. Why a car needs a turbo timer is because when your are boosting very hard (say 1.5 bars) and you just off the engine, the turbo will overheat and cook the bearings. But if you are just driving normally and even under light boost condition, you don't need a turbo timer at all.

Turbo timers are not necessary in Singapore because of the road condtion. I can be driving and boosting hard on the expressway (assuming conditions allow) but by the time I exit the expressway and head down to the small roads and into car park, the turbo will have cool down by then. There is no need to further keep the engine running to cool the turbo.

Diesel exhaust temps are cooler than petrol thus less of a need to cool down as well.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

Yes agree, but for small cc turbo cars like mine, turbo spoof in at 2+rpm..no way I can avoid boosting. so a bit bo bian, got to have a turbo timer..better safe than sorry..dont want premature wear on turbo..i kiasee heehee.. tongue.gif

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

Yes agree, but for small cc turbo cars like mine, turbo spoof in at 2+rpm..no way I can avoid boosting. so a bit bo bian, got to have a turbo timer..better safe than sorry..dont want premature wear on turbo..i kiasee heehee.. tongue.gif

Your situation actually doesn't need a TT. But since you have already installed one, then don't set the timer too long. Waste fuel only.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

Your situation actually doesn't need a TT. But since you have already installed one, then don't set the timer too long. Waste fuel only.

Well I'm not that sure you know, All the time driving, I'm doing high revs of 7-9 RPM but not going fast also dry.gif ..the turbo will be red hot! Fuel won't waste that much la, how much can a 660cc engine waste idling?

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

Well I'm not that sure you know, All the time driving, I'm doing high revs of 7-9 RPM but not going fast also dry.gif ..the turbo will be red hot! Fuel won't waste that much la, how much can a 660cc engine waste idling?

7-9K RPM all the time! I have never rev my engine past 6K and you are at 7-9K RPM. Wow! Now I understand why you would want a tt.

Btw, what car are you driving? 7-9K RPM is very high RPM for a turbo engine.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

York
  • York
    5th Gear

seious boh.....redline all the time...engine chwui liao........

Da'blo my "boh lui lang" MPV

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

seious boh.....redline all the time...engine chwui liao........

Who knows, his exhaust may be blowing out flames as well.......

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

So_nice
  • Premium member
    So_nice
    Turbocharged

hows the dmax? i've driven b4 but it seems rather dead as compared to hiace or hilux
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

还我河山!!!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Coupecabriolet
  • Coupecabriolet
    5th Gear

lol how you drive sia? heavy right footer? copen being a very light and small car, with 660cc and TC, shouldn't need to rev it hard most of the time on SG roads right?
Road hoggers will never admit they are one. YUCKS.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

XALmoN
  • XALmoN
    4th Gear

dont need turbo timer la.

you just need to drive around sedately for under 5mins and your turbos would have cooled down sufficiently by then.

We Produced With Spartan Air

Am i trolling you?

Or am i not?

I wonder.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

dont need turbo timer la.

you just need to drive around sedately for under 5mins and your turbos would have cooled down sufficiently by then.

Who knows, maybe he could even redline in while driving in the car park!! Thats why need turbo timer. Fierce driver!!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

No la..rev hard cost find pick up sometimes..even i go up my mscp..turbo spoof up lei..so install TT lo..nothing like a fierce driver..just an extra protection for the turbo?

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

oh our rpm can go up to 10000rpm..when we hit 6000-7000 is pretty normal, think due to small cc..not that i want to rev it hard..ride totally stock..

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear

No la..rev hard cost find pick up sometimes..even i go up my mscp..turbo spoof up lei..so install TT lo..nothing like a fierce driver..just an extra protection for the turbo?

Btw, you thinking of an engine swap? I think Copen has the 1.3L NA model. Then throw in a turbo and wow..... It will be fierece man!! for a fierce driver!! The power/weight ratio, I believe it can even kill Evos and WRXs already. Then put those super wide tyres that protrude out of the body one like what people did to the minis....

It will be an awesome ride!! Good for fierce drivers!!

Edited by Mini-itx2010, 23 October 2010 - 04:33 PM.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear

Btw, you thinking of an engine swap? I think Copen has the 1.3L NA model. Then throw in a turbo and wow..... It will be fierece man!! for a fierce driver!! The power/weight ratio, I believe it can even kill Evos and WRXs already. Then put those super wide tyres that protrude out of the body one like what people did to the minis....

It will be an awesome ride!! Good for fierce drivers!!

LOL! 1.3L NA will be perfect for Copen, better fuel consumption somemore! Anyway i'm not fierce driver la..just that Copen need to hit that range of rpm for a decent pickup..if not it will be like road hogging liao..have heard of a copen with 150horses in singapore, but not sure true or not..150hp/840kg~ it will be darn fast i suppose..anyway we OT liao..seemed like to the TS that a turbo timer is not needed..

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top
SgCarMart Quotz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users