Does Turbo Diesel Vehicle Need A Turbo Timer?

Aeromania

Bros and Sis,

BTW I just bought a 2nd hand Isuzu D-Max and is wondering if there's a need to install a turbo timer.

And

any difference between diesel and petrol engine? Or any turbo timer fits all?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

I know not much on Turbo car...what is the purpose of a turbo timer? to delay the shut down of the engine?

Ya to delay cutting off of the engine. Let engine idle after parking to cool down the turbo as oil is still circulating.

A turbo timer can keep an engine running for a pre-specified period of time, to automatically provide this cool-down period. Oil coking is also eliminated by foil bearings. A more complex and problematic protective barrier against oil coking is the use of water-cooled bearing cartridges. The water boils in the cartridge when the engine is shut off and forms a natural recirculation to drain away the heat. Nevertheless, it is not a good idea to shut the engine off while the turbo and manifold are still glowing.

Source: Wiki

No there is no need to install a turbo timer. Why a car needs a turbo timer is because when your are boosting very hard (say 1.5 bars) and you just off the engine, the turbo will overheat and cook the bearings. But if you are just driving normally and even under light boost condition, you don't need a turbo timer at all.

Turbo timers are not necessary in Singapore because of the road condtion. I can be driving and boosting hard on the expressway (assuming conditions allow) but by the time I exit the expressway and head down to the small roads and into car park, the turbo will have cool down by then. There is no need to further keep the engine running to cool the turbo.

Diesel exhaust temps are cooler than petrol thus less of a need to cool down as well.

Yes agree, but for small cc turbo cars like mine, turbo spoof in at 2+rpm..no way I can avoid boosting. so a bit bo bian, got to have a turbo timer..better safe than sorry..dont want premature wear on turbo..i kiasee heehee.. [:p]

Yes agree, but for small cc turbo cars like mine, turbo spoof in at 2+rpm..no way I can avoid boosting. so a bit bo bian, got to have a turbo timer..better safe than sorry..dont want premature wear on turbo..i kiasee heehee.. [:p]

Your situation actually doesn't need a TT. But since you have already installed one, then don't set the timer too long. Waste fuel only.

Your situation actually doesn't need a TT. But since you have already installed one, then don't set the timer too long. Waste fuel only.

Well I'm not that sure you know, All the time driving, I'm doing high revs of 7-9 RPM but not going fast also <_< ..the turbo will be red hot! Fuel won't waste that much la, how much can a 660cc engine waste idling?

Well I'm not that sure you know, All the time driving, I'm doing high revs of 7-9 RPM but not going fast also <_< ..the turbo will be red hot! Fuel won't waste that much la, how much can a 660cc engine waste idling?

7-9K RPM all the time! I have never rev my engine past 6K and you are at 7-9K RPM. Wow! Now I understand why you would want a tt.

Btw, what car are you driving? 7-9K RPM is very high RPM for a turbo engine.

seious boh.....redline all the time...engine chwui liao........

lol how you drive sia? heavy right footer? copen being a very light and small car, with 660cc and TC, shouldn't need to rev it hard most of the time on SG roads right?

Neutral Newbie

dont need turbo timer la.

you just need to drive around sedately for under 5mins and your turbos would have cooled down sufficiently by then.

dont need turbo timer la.

you just need to drive around sedately for under 5mins and your turbos would have cooled down sufficiently by then.

Who knows, maybe he could even redline in while driving in the car park!! Thats why need turbo timer. Fierce driver!!

No la..rev hard cost find pick up sometimes..even i go up my mscp..turbo spoof up lei..so install TT lo..nothing like a fierce driver..just an extra protection for the turbo?

oh our rpm can go up to 10000rpm..when we hit 6000-7000 is pretty normal, think due to small cc..not that i want to rev it hard..ride totally stock..

↡ Advertisement