Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Alfpoon

The same old question

Will you choose Sorento or Santa Fe in Singapore?

Santa Fe.

A year ago I would have chosen Sorento, I simply adore the Tiger Nose thing Kia had going and the old Sorento in red looked simply fierce. Now the new Sorento, instead of a Tiger Nose, has a Dog Nose, now this is purely personal POV, just I'm just not feeling it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The same old question

simply

same Engine, same GB, same performance,

whose safety, price better choose whom :D

any of it that comes with turbo diesel.

US version got turbo,

unfortunately Singapore will not import, due to Singapore hot weather is not suitable for turbo, or even c/w turbo, performance also compromised a lot

US version got turbo,

unfortunately Singapore will not import, due to Singapore hot weather is not suitable for turbo, or even c/w turbo, performance also compromised a lot

juz curious.....how many turbo cars hv u owned to be able to come to such a sweeping conclusion?

• Praise 2

US version got turbo,

while i agree that local weather is not exactly cooling, turbo will still run well but with less efficiency.

Santa Fe looks better. Plus the Sorrento is more expensive.

Only thing is Santa Fe is 4wheel drive & only toggle to Front wheel drive above 60km/h... Think will be more thirsty.

• Praise 1

juz curious.....how many turbo cars hv u owned to be able to come to such a sweeping conclusion?

Before we explain why turbochargers perform better at lower air temperatures, it’s important to understand how a turbocharger works.

Essentially, the aim of a turbocharger is to increase the density of the air inside each cylinder of the engine. By compressing the air, more oxygen enters each cylinder, and proportionally more fuel can also enter each cylinder, meaning that more power is generated with each explosion inside the cylinders.

As air temperature increases, the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures.

As the temperatures inside the turbocharger gets higher, the turbocharger can no longer increase it’s speed efficiently, meaning that knock on effect of this is that engine performance, acceleration and top speed are also reduced.

In addition, hotter air also has a secondary affect on the turbocharger, by naturally increasing the operating temperature inside the turbo. Usually, the intercooler works to cool the air from the hot air intake, but in warmer temperatures, the intercooler becomes less efficient, as it is also exposed to the warmer temperatures.

• Praise 4

Before we explain why turbochargers perform better at lower air temperatures, its important to understand how a turbocharger works.

Essentially, the aim of a turbocharger is to increase the density of the air inside each cylinder of the engine. By compressing the air, more oxygen enters each cylinder, and proportionally more fuel can also enter each cylinder, meaning that more power is generated with each explosion inside the cylinders.

As air temperature increases, the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures.

As the temperatures inside the turbocharger gets higher, the turbocharger can no longer increase its speed efficiently, meaning that knock on effect of this is that engine performance, acceleration and top speed are also reduced.

In addition, hotter air also has a secondary affect on the turbocharger, by naturally increasing the operating temperature inside the turbo. Usually, the intercooler works to cool the air from the hot air intake, but in warmer temperatures, the intercooler becomes less efficient, as it is also exposed to the warmer temperatures.

Errrrr....this only explains u know how to use Google search and cut&paste but still doesn't answer the question.

Edited by Soya

Errrrr....this only explains u know how to use Google search and cut&paste but still doesn't answer the question.

Haha, forgot to answer your question, I only own one small turbo car, 2.0T 240bhp/350Nm,

Do you agree hot weather affect TC performance?

Cheers

Haha, forgot to answer your question, I only own one small turbo car, 2.0T 240bhp/350Nm,

Do you agree hot weather affect TC performance?

Cheers

Wah sei...ur Touran 1.4T can pump out 240bhp and 350Nm??? [shocked][shocked] My T5 2.5L onli does 220bhp and 320Nm.....muz be lousy wowo turbocharging tech. [:p]

To cut a long story short, high temp affects both NA and TC. But it doesn't mean TC is "not suitable" and "compromise a lot".

• Praise 1

Brought a friend to check out both cars on the same morning. Current car 2008 GS300 but needed more seats for family.

SantaFe looks much better, has on-call 4WD and a $10K price advantage, but the Sorento has more equipment, seemed better built, has a nicer dashboard and comfier seats (really nice), more effective brakes, and slightly more room in the last row.

Both engines and transmission feels about the same despite the SantaFe being GDI while the Sorento test car is non-GDI. About the same meaning gutless unless revved hard, and by then it turns strained and noisy.

Ride and handling seemed better than expected given the tall and heavy body, but both still feels cumbersome and big.

There is no other 7-seater SUV in this price bracket. Next one up is Mazda CX-9 at another $40-50k more.

My friend came away sighing, cos it dawned on him that catering for family needs comes with a big sacrifice in driveability and performance compared to his current saloon.

• Praise 3

Brought a friend to check out both cars on the same morning. Current car 2008 GS300 but needed more seats for family.

SantaFe looks much better, has on-call 4WD and a $10K price advantage, but the Sorento has more equipment, seemed better built, has a nicer dashboard and comfier seats (really nice), more effective brakes, and slightly more room in the last row.

Both engines and transmission feels about the same despite the SantaFe being GDI while the Sorento test car is non-GDI. About the same meaning gutless unless revved hard, and by then it turns strained and noisy.

Ride and handling seemed better than expected given the tall and heavy body, but both still feels cumbersome and big.

There is no other 7-seater SUV in this price bracket. Next one up is Mazda CX-9 at another $40-50k more.

My friend came away sighing, cos it dawned on him that catering for family needs comes with a big sacrifice in driveability and performance compared to his current saloon.

With such a heavy body, need a Turbo engine or Turbo diesel to move it.

That I totally agree. Even now I don't have a large family yet but already have to slowly save up in case need to change to a bigger car. Just my plus one and own family already a full car, not factoring in future an additional family member.

Don't really wanna drive an MPV therefore also looking at these 2 cars. But I mentioned in another thread, with the size and weight of the car after a full load, I would think a turbo diesel would be better. Esp for an SUV 7 seater.

• Praise 1

The same old question

wa, sibeh rich sia, no wonder they say all sg all sibeh rich. now you change to what car?

Wah sei...ur Touran 1.4T can pump out 240bhp and 350Nm??? [shocked][shocked] My T5 2.5L onli does 220bhp and 320Nm.....muz be lousy wowo turbocharging tech. [:p]

To cut a long story short, high temp affects both NA and TC. But it doesn't mean TC is "not suitable" and "compromise a lot".

wa, ppl will cry sia, you go downgrade for ppl

• Praise 1

Has your friend considered the new Nissan xtrail and mitsubishi outlander?

↡ Advertisement