Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Alfpoon

Has your friend considered the new Nissan xtrail and mitsubishi outlander?

don't think they will consider Jap SUV, in their mind Japnese SUVs all underpower

Edited by Quantum
↡ Advertisement

Has your friend considered the new Nissan xtrail and mitsubishi outlander?

X-Trail and Outlander both have almost non-existent 3rd row seats, and the 2L engine on the X-Trail might be a concern for some.

The Outlander, with it's current price tag, might be worth considering if 3rd row seats are not critical criteria.

Other 7-seater SUVs available around this price range are the Chevrolet Captiva (2.4L) and the Ssangyong Rexton (2L diesel), taking all these into consideration, I personally think that the choice is still between the Santa Fe and the Sorento.

• Praise 3

don't think they will consider Jap SUV, in their mind Japnese SUVs all underpower

Agree that power specs wish, the jap suv trails behinds, noting the smaller cc as well. It didn't seem to be tonknee's main point of contention, esp with the focus on the interior design and space.

For me, I will also look at the longer term such as resale value, reliability, comfort etc. I would at least drop by Nissan and mitsubishi to touch and look see, since they are about the same price range, and maybe even cheaper.

X-Trail and Outlander both have almost non-existent 3rd row seats, and the 2L engine on the X-Trail might be a concern for some.

The Outlander, with it's current price tag, might be worth considering if 3rd row seats are not critical criteria.

Other 7-seater SUVs available around this price range are the Chevrolet Captiva (2.4L) and the Ssangyong Rexton (2L diesel), taking all these into consideration, I personally think that the choice is still between the Santa Fe and the Sorento.

I've tried the older sorento and the back seat is strictly for kids and was catastrophic, ingress and egress was very tough for passengers too. Haven't tried the new One yet. Anyone tried both and any difference? Can the second row be moved to allow more legroom now?

The previous Santa fe was equally terrible.. Not sure about the new One.

Agree that power specs wish, the jap suv trails behinds, noting the smaller cc as well. It didn't seem to be tonknee's main point of contention, esp with the focus on the interior design and space.

For me, I will also look at the longer term such as resale value, reliability, comfort etc. I would at least drop by Nissan and mitsubishi to touch and look see, since they are about the same price range, and maybe even cheaper.

I've tried the older sorento and the back seat is strictly for kids and was catastrophic, ingress and egress was very tough for passengers too. Haven't tried the new One yet. Anyone tried both and any difference? Can the second row be moved to allow more legroom now?

IMO, if major purpose is for passengers comfort, interior space should be the priority, then go for MPV instead of SUV,

When I was at Komoco I did see a smaller-sized gentleman (prob around 160~165cm tall, normal built) "climbed" into the 3rd row of the Santa Fe and pulled the 2nd row seats back. Not sure how comfy he was but he did managed to get in and sit upright.

But have to agree that getting in and out can be quite the challenge (keyword above; "climbed"), I am 185cm, I don't think I even want to try.

Haven't seen the new Sorento yet but read somewhere the 3rd row space situation is better than the Santa Fe.

The easiest to get in and out of, from what I've seen so far, would probably be the Captiva, where the 2nd row seats can actually be folded and flipped to allow access to the 3rd row. But as like I did the new Sorento, I struck it out from my list due to the big "dog nose" grill in front. [:(]

(edited)

I was at Komoco over the weekend to have a look at the Santa Fe as possibly my next vehicle to ferry my family members and helper

My assigned SE was so-so, probably because Komoco was focusing their resources on the newly launched Elantra.  Luckily I did my own research on MCF and Youtube, else there will only be silence as I reviewed the vehicle

Got a chance to text driver the 2.2 diesel variant as the SE indicated that the petrol version was not available

Engine noise was surprisingly quiet for a diesel car, and the pick-up was relatively smooth.  The gears switched quite quickly once the rev hit around 2k.

Found the driver's seat quite comfortable as did the rest of my family members in the passenger seat.

The third row is relatively hard to get in initially and definitely not recommended for anyone who is 1.7m and taller.  I'm 1.73m and my head was already touching the rooftop.

The vehicle comes with a decent size touch-screen that has connectivity with Ipod.  Don't think there is CarPlay installed.

Reverse camera was quite good, but I did not get the chance to test if the front sensors are working.

All in, I think the Santa Fe is a sporty family car and a good transition for those who have been driving a sleeker sedan.

Only gripe I have is the pricing. 

Are there anyone here who have bought the Santa Fe? Greatly appreciate any feedback on the drive and reliability

Cheers

Edited by Alpine6

I went to test drive on the same day,

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4

Pro:

-Best value even comparing to the lower specs Korean.

-4WD modes

-Smallest turning radius

-Best steering feel & drive

-paddle shifter

-MIJ

Cons

- no rear air-con

- 2nd & 3rd row seats felt hard and uncomfortable.

- CVVT - I don't like, but passenger like.

-Narrowest shoulder space

Santa Fe 2.4 & 2.2D

-most comfortable 2nd row seats

-2nd best steering feel

-2.2D torque is good.

-relatively easy to do parallel park, without looking at rear cam.

-NVH similar to Outlander

-easiest to configure 2nd & 3rd row.

-most luxurious feel.

Cons-

-Tightest entry to 3rd row, but same leg room like Outlander.

-2nd most expensive, most expensive 2.4.

-over-designed dashboard.

Sorento 2.4

-Most comfortable front seats - because ventilated.

-Best 3rd row, can sit adult below 1.75m

-nice design

-biggest sunroof

Cons

-2WD for all 4 versions, unless indent.

- NVH similar to above 2, but tyre noise most prominent.

-Don't like top steering without leather wrap.

-Flimsy steering feel. No feedback.

-most expensive 2.2D

-smallest screen.

Verdict:

Outlander

Best value if you drive alone most of the time. Back seats are for the in-laws. Young kids doesn't matter as long as car seats are comfortable.

Santa Fe 2.2D

If have 30k more, is a good buy for memory & electric seats, more comfy seats and better pick-up. But prepare more cash for servicing and road tax.

Best for people who drive at least 60km daily. Then will save on fuel cost.

Sorento SX 2.2 & 2.4

Spare cash to spare like Santa Fe, and no issues driving Korean. Best OMV. Great for people with weak arms.

• Praise 1

Fast forward to 2018 now, I have the intention to buy a used 2014 Santa Fe to replace my 8 year old forte.

I don't really see alot of santa Fe on the road and I am wondering if this good looking SUV got any issue. Any kind soul can advise ?

Fast forward to 2018 now, I have the intention to buy a used 2014 Santa Fe to replace my 8 year old forte.

I don't really see alot of santa Fe on the road and I am wondering if this good looking SUV got any issue. Any kind soul can advise ?

Cos the Santa Fe is very expensive and is petrol powered... so fuel consumption super high with a 2.4 L engine... Sorento is diesel so it makes more sense....

Both Santa Fe and Sorento have 2.4 petrol model. i would choose Santa Fe over Sorento for sure!

Santa Fe face grill is so much more nicer and ferocious!  

• Praise 1

I just saw the new Hyundai Santa Fe at Alexandra the other day.  It is still waiting LTA approval so you have to be taken to a back office to see it, but it is there. Confirmed new diesel 2.2L version coming in as well as petrol engine variant. In fact the ones we saw were both diesel, and engine was nice and quiet. 

Super chio. Easily better looking than the Kia Sorento, and I like the Sorento too.

if you are not really need the extra 2 child seat in 3rd row, Tucson is good enough 

I just saw the new Hyundai Santa Fe at Alexandra the other day. It is still waiting LTA approval so you have to be taken to a back office to see it, but it is there. Confirmed new diesel 2.2L version coming in as well as petrol engine variant. In fact the ones we saw were both diesel, and engine was nice and quiet.

Super chio. Easily better looking than the Kia Sorento, and I like the Sorento too.

I just checked out the new Santa Fe.

Can't do test drives yet but high level thoughts as follows:-

- Design looks fantastic in the flesh. High quality parts and solid build quality.

- Quilted seat patterns and soft touch materials add to the premium feel. That said, Cx9 interior still feels a touch more premium.

- 3rd row space is good. Similar to Sorento and better than Kodiaq. But no 3rd row aircon vents. Big omission.

- Boot space with all 3 rows up isn't great. Again like Sorento but less than Cx9 and Kodiaq.

- Head unit is decent. Apparently factory original. Works with CP/AA. Not as good as Kodiaq but better than Cx9.

- Engines wise, they have the 2.4L petrol starting at $151k w/o sunroof and 2.2L diesel turbo starting at $159k w/o sunroof. Would just go straight for the 2.2L diesel.

- active safety is disappointing. No adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, AEB.

- Price point isn't particularly attractive. For diesel 2.2L, its $159k for the non sunroof version (pretty barebones w no active safety, no heads up display, no power tailgate, no ventilated seats etc) and 182k for the sunroof version.

Overall, was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be a newer and updated version of the Sorento with more active safety features at a similar price point. But the non sunroof version is more expensive than the high spec Sorento with a much lower spec point. And the sunroof version is priced at Cx9 levels despite a lower spec point and fewer active safety features (and no 3rd row aircon vent).

So at current pricing/spec levels, it's a bit of a no man's land for the Santa Fe

ie I'd prefer the Sorento to the non-sunroof version, and the Cx9/Sorento to the sunroof version.

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 9

Have to agree with you, at those prices it's unattractive coz there's much better choices for the same money. Hopefully this will quickly be rectified coz it seems only a Hyundai diehard will bite at those prices.

I just checked out the new Santa Fe.

Can't do test drives yet but high level thoughts as follows:-

- Design looks fantastic in the flesh. High quality parts and solid build quality.

- Quilted seat patterns and soft touch materials add to the premium feel. That said, Cx9 interior still feels a touch more premium.

- 3rd row space is good. Similar to Sorento and better than Kodiaq. But no 3rd row aircon vents. Big omission.

- Boot space with all 3 rows up isn't great. Again like Sorento but less than Cx9 and Kodiaq.

- Head unit is decent. Apparently factory original. Works with CP/AA. Not as good as Kodiaq but better than Cx9.

- Engines wise, they have the 2.4L petrol starting at $151k w/o sunroof and 2.2L diesel turbo starting at $159k w/o sunroof. Would just go straight for the 2.2L diesel.

- active safety is disappointing. No adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, AEB.

- Price point isn't particularly attractive. For diesel 2.2L, its $159k for the non sunroof version (pretty barebones w no active safety, no heads up display, no power tailgate, no ventilated seats etc) and 182k for the sunroof version.

Overall, was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be a newer and updated version of the Sorento with more active safety features at a similar price point. But the non sunroof version is more expensive than the high spec Sorento with a much lower spec point. And the sunroof version is priced at Cx9 levels despite a lower spec point and fewer active safety features (and no 3rd row aircon vent).

So at current pricing/spec levels, it's a bit of a no man's land for the Santa Fe

ie I'd prefer the Sorento to the non-sunroof version, and the Cx9/Sorento to the sunroof version.

I have seen both car

Santa fe at 151k is base spec, better to get sorento better build quality, more spacious, more options and features. Pricing sorento also cheaper

I think this santa fe has to be priced ard 140k or less to attract buyers

Dont need compare with cx9 because santa fe lose in every aspect

Cx9 is almost 5.1m and santa fe only 4.7m

• Praise 4