Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe

Alfpoon

I have seen both car

Santa fe at 151k is base spec, better to get sorento better build quality, more spacious, more options and features. Pricing sorento also cheaper

I think this santa fe has to be priced ard 140k or less to attract buyers

Dont need compare with cx9 because santa fe lose in every aspect

Cx9 is almost 5.1m and santa fe only 4.7m

At the price of 151k, the sorento is obviously more value.

How much is the CX9 base spec and fully loaded? Base on other markets where the CX9 cost just fractionally more, i suppose the base spec should also be in the range of 150+k?

Edited by Alfc
↡ Advertisement

I have seen both car

Santa fe at 151k is base spec, better to get sorento better build quality, more spacious, more options and features. Pricing sorento also cheaper

I think this santa fe has to be priced ard 140k or less to attract buyers

Dont need compare with cx9 because santa fe lose in every aspect

Cx9 is almost 5.1m and santa fe only 4.7m

Partly agree cos I really like the CX9. But Santa Fe is a pretty impressive car if they price and spec it right. Top spec for top spec, it will beat the CX9 in a number of areas ie

- new 8sp vs old 6sp

- much more fuel efficient diesel engine with similar torque / power figures (though naturally noiser)

- typically specced with 3rd row AC vents

- Has CP/AA which is not available in the CX9

- More active safety features available 

CX9 is also not much bigger inside despite the 5.1m length (ie CX9's 1+2+3 row legroom is less than the 4.78m Sorento) because the CX9's front bonnet is much longer and it has a longer luggage area - hence its sleek silhouette. 

That said, CX9 looks better overall and shades it in the interior poshness feel.  Overall, it just feels like a terrible missed opportunity for KM. 

I just checked out the new Santa Fe.

Can't do test drives yet but high level thoughts as follows:-

- Design looks fantastic in the flesh. High quality parts and solid build quality.

- Quilted seat patterns and soft touch materials add to the premium feel. That said, Cx9 interior still feels a touch more premium.

- 3rd row space is good. Similar to Sorento and better than Kodiaq. But no 3rd row aircon vents. Big omission.

- Boot space with all 3 rows up isn't great. Again like Sorento but less than Cx9 and Kodiaq.

- Head unit is decent. Apparently factory original. Works with CP/AA. Not as good as Kodiaq but better than Cx9.

- Engines wise, they have the 2.4L petrol starting at $151k w/o sunroof and 2.2L diesel turbo starting at $159k w/o sunroof. Would just go straight for the 2.2L diesel.

- active safety is disappointing. No adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, AEB.

- Price point isn't particularly attractive. For diesel 2.2L, its $159k for the non sunroof version (pretty barebones w no active safety, no heads up display, no power tailgate, no ventilated seats etc) and 182k for the sunroof version.

Overall, was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be a newer and updated version of the Sorento with more active safety features at a similar price point. But the non sunroof version is more expensive than the high spec Sorento with a much lower spec point. And the sunroof version is priced at Cx9 levels despite a lower spec point and fewer active safety features (and no 3rd row aircon vent).

So at current pricing/spec levels, it's a bit of a no man's land for the Santa Fe

ie I'd prefer the Sorento to the non-sunroof version, and the Cx9/Sorento to the sunroof version.

no third row aircon vents? i thought everything would be similar to the sorento

but those prices...how many diehard hyundai fans will still think it's value for money?

anyway, i suspect the prices will be reduced to be similar to sorento soon

• Praise 1

Partly agree cos I really like the CX9. But Santa Fe is a pretty impressive car if they price and spec it right. Top spec for top spec, it will beat the CX9 in a number of areas ie

- new 8sp vs old 6sp

- much more fuel efficient diesel engine with similar torque / power figures (though naturally noiser)

- typically specced with 3rd row AC vents

- Has CP/AA which is not available in the CX9

- More active safety features available

CX9 is also not much bigger inside despite the 5.1m length (ie CX9's 1+2+3 row legroom is less than the 4.78m Sorento) because the CX9's front bonnet is much longer and it has a longer luggage area - hence its sleek silhouette.

That said, CX9 looks better overall and shades it in the interior poshness feel. Overall, it just feels like a terrible missed opportunity for KM.

But its not fair to compare hyundai diesel with cx9 which is petrol. Moreover cx9 has a great power, better than sorento in acceleration.

Cx9 indeed interior space are not as good as sorento but better than santa fe.

Downside of cx9 is its price, space not so big despite its body and no 3rd row aircon

Overall i find that santa fe is trying hard to upmarket themselves but i am disappointed with the real car. It looks 'cheap' compared to cx9. Pricing wise not much diff ard 10k at most. But cx9 has some offer which priced themselves same with santa fe 2.4 sunroof

At the price of 151k, the sorento is obviously more value.

How much is the CX9 base spec and fully loaded? Base on other markets where the CX9 cost just fractionally more, i suppose the base spec should also be in the range of 150+k?

151k really bare no electric seat, no sunroof, no electric tail, etc.

Compared to cx9 for ard 16xk, the features are much more in cx9

• Praise 1

But its not fair to compare hyundai diesel with cx9 which is petrol. Moreover cx9 has a great power, better than sorento in acceleration.

Cx9 indeed interior space are not as good as sorento but better than santa fe.

Downside of cx9 is its price, space not so big despite its body and no 3rd row aircon

Overall i find that santa fe is trying hard to upmarket themselves but i am disappointed with the real car. It looks 'cheap' compared to cx9. Pricing wise not much diff ard 10k at most. But cx9 has some offer which priced themselves same with santa fe 2.4 sunroof

151k really bare no electric seat, no sunroof, no electric tail, etc.

Compared to cx9 for ard 16xk, the features are much more in cx9

Not that I fully agree, but does show that the Santa Fe is a match for the CX9 when appropriately priced / specced with credible publications. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/hyundai-santa-fe-v-mazda-cx-9-2018-comparison-113794/

Hyundai no 2.0l turbo engine?

Still using the dinosaur engine huh...

Got lar... but Komoco obviously doesn't want to bring it in lor... overseas Sonata got 1.6 L turbo and 2.0 L turbo lor... just that the OMV will be high and to compete they have to earn thinner margins so they just use the base 2.4 L engine regardless of which trim we buy... overseas the 2.4 L is paired with really the most basic trim level...

Just seen this. Looks like KMC is still adopting the policy of bringing in low spec vehicle first, then after selling for a while, bring in higher/better spec ones to boost sales and give a new lease of life - milk the vehicle as much as possible.

And they sure know how to price cars high... 20 yr ago, korean cars were priced much much below Jap ones. Koreans were only above Proton and China brands, in terms of price.

Now Hyundai dares to price its cars on par with or even higher than Jap ones, if they feel that their cars have some USPs... Let's see if they will be successful in this approach.

A case in point is their MPV, Starex. KMC had priced it at the 180+k range, 1.5 yr ago. That's in the range of Alphard, and KMC actually positioned it to rival Alphard... Gosh, the only thing close was the size. I remain skeptical that they had managed to sell any of it.

Let's see if Santa Fe will fly...

I just checked out the new Santa Fe.

Can't do test drives yet but high level thoughts as follows:-
- Design looks fantastic in the flesh. High quality parts and solid build quality.
- Quilted seat patterns and soft touch materials add to the premium feel. That said, Cx9 interior still feels a touch more premium.
- 3rd row space is good. Similar to Sorento and better than Kodiaq. But no 3rd row aircon vents. Big omission.
- Boot space with all 3 rows up isn't great. Again like Sorento but less than Cx9 and Kodiaq.
- Head unit is decent. Apparently factory original. Works with CP/AA. Not as good as Kodiaq but better than Cx9.
- Engines wise, they have the 2.4L petrol starting at $151k w/o sunroof and 2.2L diesel turbo starting at $159k w/o sunroof. Would just go straight for the 2.2L diesel.
- active safety is disappointing. No adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, AEB.
- Price point isn't particularly attractive. For diesel 2.2L, its $159k for the non sunroof version (pretty barebones w no active safety, no heads up display, no power tailgate, no ventilated seats etc) and 182k for the sunroof version.

Overall, was a bit disappointed. Thought it would be a newer and updated version of the Sorento with more active safety features at a similar price point. But the non sunroof version is more expensive than the high spec Sorento with a much lower spec point. And the sunroof version is priced at Cx9 levels despite a lower spec point and fewer active safety features (and no 3rd row aircon vent).

So at current pricing/spec levels, it's a bit of a no man's land for the Santa Fe
ie I'd prefer the Sorento to the non-sunroof version, and the Cx9/Sorento to the sunroof version.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1