Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I am just wondering if its really necessary to buy branded gauges like Defi, HKS etc....

Cause I was sourcing for a boost gauge and went to autobacs and saw this Taiwan gauge for $98. Its much cheapers compared to 300-400 for those branded ones. Decide to get one as I don't have a boost gauge in my car. Wired it up and found it to be pretty accourate. My ECU show 1 bar boost, the gauge also show 1 bar.

Thus I am wonder if its really necessary to spend so much to buy expensive gauges if cheap ones are just as accurate.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

Typhoonz
  • Premium member
    Typhoonz
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I am just wondering if its really necessary to buy branded gauges like Defi, HKS etc....

Cause I was sourcing for a boost gauge and went to autobacs and saw this Taiwan gauge for $98. Its much cheapers compared to 300-400 for those branded ones. Decide to get one as I don't have a boost gauge in my car. Wired it up and found it to be pretty accourate. My ECU show 1 bar boost, the gauge also show 1 bar.

Thus I am wonder if its really necessary to spend so much to buy expensive gauges if cheap ones are just as accurate.

Branding lor... The chap chap fashion shop in your neighbourhood sells shirts for $12 / each... The branded boutique in town also sells T shirts for $120 / each...

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Estrangable
  • Estrangable
    5th Gear
    Author Image

in the first place, why do u need a gauge in yr car ??
----------------------------------------------------------

"Hatred isn't something you're born with. It gets taught. At school, they said segregation is what's said in the bible... Genesis 9, Verse 27. At 7 years of age, you get told it enough times, you believe it. You believe the hatred. You live it... you breathe it. You marry it."
Mississippi Burning, 1988

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

Typhoonz
  • Premium member
    Typhoonz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Think TS has a turbo charged car...

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

Bighappyjer
  • Bighappyjer
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Branded for accuracy, looks and resale value.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Mini-itx2010
  • Mini-itx2010
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Its easier to tell whats the boost I am running. Don't have to connect a notebook to the ECU in order to read the data. Although my cluster does have a boost meter, it doesn't tell the amt of boost it only shows 0 and lines. No numbers at all.

Its also seves as warning indicator to ensure I am not overboosting. Eg, if I set max of 1bar boost, my peak shows 1.2bar, then something is wrong already. Else overboosting can end up killing the engine.

Not all gauges are for show purpose. Eg. I also have A/F meter to know if I am running lean or rich. If boosting, I will make sure I am running rich to protect the engine. If just coasting on light throttle then I will run lean.

Another 2 important gauge I don't have yet are oil temp and oil pressure gauge. Cannot rely on oil pressure switch alone. It may be too late for your engine if the oil pressure light comes up.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Reeze
  • Reeze
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I don't think you really have to spend that much with gauges. If your main reason for buying one is just for accuracy, I believe almost all of them offer that. But if you want to show off you really have to splurge to branded ones. They are the ones that look cool. biggrin.gif

-------------------------
Office Cubicles , Cubicles

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Nickpower
  • Nickpower
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

hi all, just to ask.. if i can only install one gauge, which one is the best one?

oil, water, vaccum, volt???

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

hi all, just to ask.. if i can only install one gauge, which one is the best one?

seriously....install a volt meter to read your battery...that is most partical and useful laugh.gif because, if the battery died, no matter what TCed or NA car you drive...car cannot start.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by LoverofCar, 20 September 2011 - 05:39 PM.

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Satria_neo
  • Satria_neo
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Vaccum and voltage is not needed at all. Water temp can monitor from cluster.

I would install oil temp or oil pressure.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Satria_neo
  • Satria_neo
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I do not spend the money on branded gauges. This is because gauges are nothing more than volt meters. I do not need them to be extremely accurate. Whats really important is the sensor. Cause if they are too far off, then its pointless to measure.

Good thing is that accurate sensors are readily available and decently priced. Factory stock sensors can provide very good accuracy that is adequate even for tracking purpose.

Unless you need for racing purpose where you are operating at the absolute limit of the car (where 1-2% difference can mean blowing the engine or losing a race). Else its doesn't matter at all.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

http://www.ebay.co.u...E-/320603951736

Clock_Gauge.jpg
24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

Rb26dett
  • Rb26dett
    5th Gear
    Author Image

it is not necessary to buy branded gauges.but if one can afford it,why not?

its not something we need.but it increases the bling factor.
same goes for we don't need a car here anyway as public transport are everywhere.but its nice to have a personal ride , and even cooler to have a nice souped up personal ride.

and oh ya , honestly you cant expect sti/evo/ctr etc owners to be seen rolling with china/taiwan gauges dont you think so ?

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Ghostrider
  • Premium member
    Ghostrider
    Supercharged
    Author Image

They roll around with DEFEI and HSK gauges also you dunno mah...

They make so good replicas now...can change color one !! As long as you dun chao ah beng put changing color...I also can't tell if its a Defi or Defei stopping next to them...and when they turn off...follow DF blackface...how to tell sia !! hahahahahaha....
I got no signature ??

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

Fennmax
  • Fennmax
    Banned

I have a boost gauge as it is necessary. To know. If the turbo. Is behaving. Properly eg boost creep. And boost spike.

Read. A report in redline. Mag. Autogauge came in third in accuracy. Whereas some branded one fared worse or refused to be bench mark...
Spa*rk...Suck>Squeeze>Bang>Blow..."PISS"

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

Lectrosphere
  • Premium member
    Lectrosphere
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I have a boost gauge as it is necessary. To know. If the turbo. Is behaving. Properly eg boost creep. And boost spike.

Read. A report in redline. Mag. Autogauge came in third in accuracy. Whereas some branded one fared worse or refused to be bench mark...

bro, you talk like my friend leh... thats how he psyco me to get a boost gauge blush.gif

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Fennmax
  • Fennmax
    Banned

bro, you talk like my friend leh... thats how he psyco me to get a boost gauge blush.gif

Sad but true leh, if your turbo screw up you will not know. Actuator failure, broken fins, hose leakage will show on a gauge with the erratic, too high or too low at max throttle. No gauge...wait for engine to up lorry lor if turbo fails. Also, can help tuner to confirm tune up for greater power within limits.
Spa*rk...Suck>Squeeze>Bang>Blow..."PISS"

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hoppie24
  • Premium member
    Hoppie24
    5th Gear
    Author Image

try the Pivot meter, you driving VW/Audi right?

Plugged to OBD port, no need cut wires or install sensor :) Can DIY

http://www.pivotracing.com/product/XV

Edited by Hoppie24, 22 September 2011 - 11:12 AM.

Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

Nightsky
  • Nightsky
    4th Gear
    Author Image

You sacrificed an air con vent for your gauge?!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

Lectrosphere
  • Premium member
    Lectrosphere
    6th Gear
    Author Image

try the Pivot meter, you driving VW/Audi right?

Plugged to OBD port, no need cut wires or install sensor :) Can DIY

http://www.pivotracing.com/product/XV

looks good! whats the damage? happy.gif

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users