Skoda's History

Jujitsuka

Just today, we learned that Skoda delivered a record number of vehicles in the first nine months of 2010, increasing its operating profit by a whopping 64%. This is what most people know about the Czech automaker; that it has been a wild success since Volkswagen took over the reins of the company. But there are others -myself included- who think the real glory of Skoda lies in its past.

When the Germans arrived in 1990 (this time with more peaceful intentions), Skoda really needed a strong partner if it wanted to stay afloat. The first fruit of their "love" was the updated Favorit, stamped with a "VW System" badge. That meant it had received fuel injection, instead of a carburetor, and a slightly updated interior. It was better than the original Favorit, launched in 1987, but still a long way from being a good car.

A decade later, the firm's range includes cars like the Fabia, Octavia and Superb. Skoda's modern day success is anything but a coincidence. The Czechs worked diligently under German supervision. And today they build cars that some consider being better than Volkswagens. Talk about a student surpassing his master

↡ Advertisement

Perhaps should learn from the Korean on how to do Marketing in the Asian market.

Product is there but the "reach" isn't there.

Regards,

Just today, we learned that Skoda delivered a record number of vehicles in the first nine months of 2010, increasing its operating profit by a whopping 64%. This is what most people know about the Czech automaker; that it has been a wild success since Volkswagen took over the reins of the company. But there are others -myself included- who think the real glory of Skoda lies in its past.

When the Germans arrived in 1990 (this time with more peaceful intentions), Skoda really needed a strong partner if it wanted to stay afloat. The first fruit of their "love" was the updated Favorit, stamped with a "VW System" badge. That meant it had received fuel injection, instead of a carburetor, and a slightly updated interior. It was better than the original Favorit, launched in 1987, but still a long way from being a good car.

A decade later, the firm's range includes cars like the Fabia, Octavia and Superb. Skoda's modern day success is anything but a coincidence. The Czechs worked diligently under German supervision. And today they build cars that some consider being better than Volkswagens. Talk about a student surpassing his master

i don't know if singaporeans are too brand-snobs, or is the dealer not doing a good enough job.

in europe, skoda is recognised as a value for money and reliable brand, constantly scoring top marks in JD power survey.

i don't know if singaporeans are too brand-snobs, or is the dealer not doing a good enough job.

in europe, skoda is recognised as a value for money and reliable brand, constantly scoring top marks in JD power survey.

Both I guess.

I believe that if there is good marketing and promotion, allied with value for money products (which I believe they do), Skoda may be a success.

But it's going to be hard. Singaporeans (and Asians I guess) are quite stubborn by nature. There are still some who don't trust Korean cars.

Edited by Benarsenal
↡ Advertisement