Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

In my thread in the Alfa subforum, I had listed some reasons I found driving a manual to be a worthwhile experience. I thought this would be better here.

Paraphrasing and summing up:

- manual driving is real engagement. I find that I feel a lot more connected with the car by the simple mechanical actions that I am compelled to go through.

- proper manual driving is very rewarding. A smooth launch from a light, a properly executed heel toe with rev matching - these are things that give me great satisfaction.

- manuals can allow one to extract more from a small/underpowered engine.

In addition to those, I would like to add something that I realised today, on the drive back through dense but quick moving traffic:

- driving a manual, especially spiritedly, makes one more adept at anticipating and planning ahead. One has to be constantly scanning for gaps in traffic and assessing "threats". One may need to downshift in advance (with matching of revs) to prepare for an imminent situation that would require more torque to get out of safely. I think it's not too much of a stretch to say that driving a manual in this way makes one a better driver of *any* sort of car. Driving an auto may make one a little too complacent to pay attention to these things.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

In my thread in the Alfa subforum, I had listed some reasons I found driving a manual to be a worthwhile experience. I thought this would be better here.

Paraphrasing and summing up:

- manual driving is real engagement. I find that I feel a lot more connected with the car by the simple mechanical actions that I am compelled to go through.

- proper manual driving is very rewarding. A smooth launch from a light, a properly executed heel toe with rev matching - these are things that give me great satisfaction.

- manuals can allow one to extract more from a small/underpowered engine.

In addition to those, I would like to add something that I realised today, on the drive back through dense but quick moving traffic:

- driving a manual, especially spiritedly, makes one more adept at anticipating and planning ahead. One has to be constantly scanning for gaps in traffic and assessing "threats". One may need to downshift in advance (with matching of revs) to prepare for an imminent situation that would require more torque to get out of safely. I think it's not too much of a stretch to say that driving a manual in this way makes one a better driver of *any* sort of car. Driving an auto may make one a little too complacent to pay attention to these things.

basically saying you are engaged during the drive.....and not bored like hell....

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I got to accelerate. From 3rd drop to 2nd gear. Ah! It was 98kmh at 6500rpm.

I'm sure you know this, but be very careful not to downshift in such a way that you end up over-revving your motor. This can happen very easily in a traditional manual. Automatic and dual clutch transmissions protect against this because the computer simply doesn't allow a so called "money shift". But there is absolutely no safeguard against such a downshift in a manual car. Result: a blown engine, or at least some damage (that tends to add up over time).

Haha, yes. [laugh]

I'll be leaving the M140i mostly to my wife as I find it a little boring now (keeping it stock as it's mainly for my wife to use). The AMG GT is still engaging partly because it's quite rapid (chipped to over 600hp), but also because the DCT is much more "raw" and "natural" feeling in the correct mode. :D

lucky you......if need somebody to valet your amg just give me a holler ya! Kidding kidding.....hahaha.

lucky you......if need somebody to valet your amg just give me a holler ya! Kidding kidding.....hahaha.

LOL.

In a sense, I am happier driving the Alfa as my route is full of speed traps (both fixed and mobile). Given how rapidly my Merc picks up speed during overtaking, it's very easy to kena a court appearance if one doesn't constantly and consciously guard against it (I use the speedtronic limiter function *a lot*). In contrast, I can drive with more peace of mind in the Alfa and have some fun even at legal...ish speeds. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

LOL.

In a sense, I am happier driving the Alfa as my route is full of speed traps (both fixed and mobile). Given how rapidly my Merc picks up speed during overtaking, it's very easy to kena a court appearance if one doesn't constantly and consciously guard against it (I use the speedtronic limiter function *a lot*). In contrast, I can drive with more peace of mind in the Alfa and have some fun even at legal...ish speeds. :D

think your 1.4t can outgun a mid-sized audi in a short sprint.....lol. usually for luxury vehicle you will tend to overspeed because of the good insulation and the relatively quieter engine. Heck my cuz gave me a ride in his car and i didnt even notice we were actually doing 180.
  • Praise 1

But you guys left legs not pain meh after stepping on the clutch pedal long term. My left side of body quite bad now due to heavy clutch. Even if I make a new one also still tired and pain at the sole

• Praise 1

Twincharged

But you guys left legs not pain meh after stepping on the clutch pedal long term. My left side of body quite bad now due to heavy clutch. Even if I make a new one also still tired and pain at the sole

No leh. I find manual ok for slow traffic. Need to drive differently. Just changed to auto car only. Previous 9 years all driving manual. In heavy traffic just use first gear and use engine brake. Keep bigger distance so no need to keep stopping. This way, don't need to use left leg and right leg also quite relax. More relax than auto.

• Praise 2

For start stop traffic, i used to be able to drive manual like auto.

Quarter clutch + brake only

• Praise 1

No leh. I find manual ok for slow traffic. Need to drive differently. Just changed to auto car only. Previous 9 years all driving manual. In heavy traffic just use first gear and use engine brake. Keep bigger distance so no need to keep stopping. This way, don't need to use left leg and right leg also quite relax. More relax than auto.

In a crawling traffic jam (I was once caught in JB into SG jam for 2 hrs) in a manual car ... all through most of the very slow crawl, I had used only my left leg on 1st gear. My right leg was free, resting ... only need to brake intermittently, when needed.

Now, if I were to be I an auto car, it would have been my right leg doing all the work, stepping on the brake pedal instead.

So to me, it is LPPL lah ...

Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

In a crawling traffic jam (I was once caught in JB into SG jam for 2 hrs) in a manual car ... all through most of the very slow crawl, I had used only my left leg on 1st gear. My right leg was free, resting ... only need to brake intermittently, when needed.

Now, if I were to be I an auto car, it would have been my right leg doing all the work, stepping on the brake pedal instead.

So to me, it is LPPL lah ...

you need to try a land rover defender clutch.. then you know what is heavy

Either you are getting old, with rumathoid arthiritis