Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

Supercharged

My previous car is a collar that you have to lift up then can engage reverse. I ever drove a lambo IIRC, that need to manually move a switch at the base of the shifter to lock out or engage the reverse.

yeah, my current car has this  [laugh]

why they do such a feature?

part of safety?

i recall when i got the car, drove to ikea for dinner but i just can't find the reverse gear.

lucky, i went to a lorry uncle and ask for help.  :TT_TT:

but again, that was 10 years back

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Actually, I thought of the double clutching purely from the perspective of doing a rev-match perspective, but given that we now have synchros (most of us at least) then there are 2 ways of doing that then? Heel toe, and blipping the throttle while clutch is depressed before releasing. Is this right?

Not sure if the way you describe is actually what you meant. You depress the brake with your toe, clutch in, blip the throttle with your heel while toe still on the brakes, clutch out. After clutch out, you can hold on to the brakes if you are downshifting again or step on the throttle if not.

Twincharged

part of safety?

i recall when i got the car, drove to ikea for dinner but i just can't find the reverse gear.

Those with the lockout usually cuz the Reverse gear is on the left side near the 1st gear. Prevent you from accidentally putting to R when you want 1st gear.

yeah, my current car has this [laugh]

part of safety?

lucky, i went to a lorry uncle and ask for help. :TT_TT:

Yup I understand it to be a safety feature as well, when the R gear is placed in a similar/same position as gear 1.

Not sure if the way you describe is actually what you meant. You depress the brake with your toe, clutch in, blip the throttle with your heel while toe still on the brakes, clutch out. After clutch out, you can hold on to the brakes if you are downshifting again or step on the throttle if not.

Yes, sorry wasn't clear there. What you've described was the heel-toe technique, right? What I meant was that that's one of the techniques go rev match, the other being (when braking is not required) to simply clutch in, gear in blip throttle, then gear out, right?

Yup I understand it to be a safety feature as well, when the R gear is placed in a similar/same position as gear 1.

Yes, sorry wasn't clear there. What you've described was the heel-toe technique, right? What I meant was that that's one of the techniques go rev match, the other being (when braking is not required) to simply clutch in, gear in blip throttle, then gear out, right?

Why don't you go ahead and get your Bravo MT first, then invite one of the brothers here to demonstrate to you in real life the finer art of gearchanging?

You can discuss till the cows come home and get yourself and everyone here all confused, or you can learn everything with an hour of tuition.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

Why don't you go ahead and get your Bravo MT first, then invite one of the brothers here to demonstrate to you in real life the finer art of gearchanging?

You can discuss till the cows come home and get yourself and everyone here all confused, or you can learn everything with an hour of tuition.

Makes sense (: guess what I tried to embark was a theoretical exercise, but yes nevertheless still theoretical in nature.
  • Praise 1

part of safety?

418804_x800.jpg

many ppl dunno how to engage reverse on BMW stick shifts. Need to push hard left. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

many ppl dunno how to engage reverse on BMW stick shifts. Need to push hard left. 

haha, yeah. I admit, i am one of them.

is there a 7 gear manual?

i have only tried 6 gear and it was hell lots of fun/power

Makes sense (: guess what I tried to embark was a theoretical exercise, but yes nevertheless still theoretical in nature.

There are a lot of videos on youtube demonstrating rev matches.

But before you do all those, get familiar with the clutch first like holding your car or parallel park on a slope. While rev match is not necessary, clutch holding is a must since mscp is so common in SG.

418804_x800.jpg

The "R" is for tracking..Racing mode..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2