Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

The best feeling in the world huh? MT, NA, pedal-to-metal is glorious beyond reproach! Congrats on getting a manual Cayman! My friend with an auto/tiptronic one isn't having half as fun as you! His friend with the GT3 however...

The best feeling in the world huh? MT, NA, pedal-to-metal is glorious beyond reproach! Congrats on getting a manual Cayman! My friend with an auto/tiptronic one isn't having half as fun as you! His friend with the GT3 however...

yeah...real fun....now to look for a safe place to do my drift nonsense..... [:p][:p] Thanks....

wohooo...GT3 [thumbsup]

Manual FTW! (unless caught in traffic jam)

imo its just a matter of getting used to..

im proud to say i jam 2hrs at cause way also no problem. no cramp nothing :D

Manual FTW! (unless caught in traffic jam)

then the leg sore like hell.... [laugh][laugh]

Lucky the clutch not too heavy just nice, else you see my left leg bigger than the other [:p]

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons. Even more so when the amount of torque that one can gain from 3 onwards is magnificient. Found joy again in driving, cf mundane transport with the auto gearbox.

The porker's gearbox is superb and with the sound coming from the flat 6, is just heaven! [angel][thumbsup][thumbsup]

So, folks out there, would you trade your auto for a manual anytime? What would your considerations be? Fire away

It depends on what kind of driving and where I would be driving.

I still like to change gear myself sometimes, but if I have to drive to town (or heavy traffic) then I prefer auto.

If it's like outskirts with little traffic, then I don't mind manual.

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons. Even more so when the amount of torque that one can gain from 3 onwards is magnificient. Found joy again in driving, cf mundane transport with the auto gearbox.

The porker's gearbox is superb and with the sound coming from the flat 6, is just heaven! [angel][thumbsup][thumbsup]

So, folks out there, would you trade your auto for a manual anytime? What would your considerations be? Fire away

Have been driving manual till I change to galant.... Lasted me 1 yr before I change back to manual car.

No need consider as long can afford

Since you got your caveman, can I call u leepee? :D

Edited by Galantspeedz

It depends on what kind of driving and where I would be driving.

I still like to change gear myself sometimes, but if I have to drive to town (or heavy traffic) then I prefer auto.

If it's like outskirts with little traffic, then I don't mind manual.

Auto can also change gear mah, just that not all auto drivers want to do it for fear the gearbox will kaput [laugh].

Regards,

In my opinion there is no substitute for manual in terms of direct feel and enjoyment. Also, if you know how to control it well, it needn't be too tiring in traffic jams either. I wouldn't agree that you can't properly enjoy a manual in Singapore because enjoyment of driving does not necessarily mean sprinting at high speeds on clear roads. But to each his own, I guess. I suppose no matter how efficient and faster in shifting automatic transmissions develop, there will always be the certain number of die-hard manual fans who won't give up driving manual. Hell, I once told my friend that if the day comes when only lorries are still manual, I'll buy a lorry instead of a car!

• Praise 2

i'll only get a manual if its a 2.0 litre and above.

anything lower i'll be happier with an auto. =)

i'll only get a manual if its a 2.0 litre and above.

anything lower i'll be happier with an auto. =)

Actually in places with relatively low speed limits manual cars with smaller engine capacity can be more fun to drive, in a sense that you can rev hard and play all sorts of patterns without fear of speeding. One of the cars which has given me the most fun so far is still my trusty 16 year old 1300cc Mazda 323, which I often hit over 5k RPM on every gear without fear of breaking the speed limits of HK roads, and doing heel-toe downshifts and cornering is enjoyable even at 40-60km/h when in a more powerful car such speeds may be boring.

Of course, for such low-powered cars you would want some challenging terrain to really enjoy yourself, so it may be different in Singapore.

Agree, I tend to drive safely and slower (not road hogging though) in manual than auto.

For auto, it takes a lot of discipline and right leg to modulate well to maintain speed. Otherwise, the speed keep creeping up.

Moreover, manual has better engine brake and I find myself trying to ultilise it instead of using foot brake - so, down shift, ease off to let the speed drop, then corner. Hardly use foot brake during off peak driving, even when doing 90 degree turn.

It's also not as tiring to drive a manual in gridlock traffic as many perceived to be. The only challenge is when you are stuck on a steep slope, open window, trying to reach and operate a slot-in carpark machine, retrieve card and trying to move off and closing the window. Then, you will wish that you are an octopus. [:p] The idea of wishing of driving an auto does not even cross the mind for this type of scenario.

Edited by Kangadrool

Owned 2 cars to date all MT... I really enjoy my downshifts when cornering fast n hard... U dun get that sorta feel in an auto even with a DSG gearbox...

Unless u drive a Porker with PDK not the push push button type but the new ones with flappy paddles or a GTR perhaps den it could illicit the same feeling?

Maybe TS wanna share y no PDK for him?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1