Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

Agree, I tend to drive safely and slower (not road hogging though) in manual than auto.

For auto, it takes a lot of discipline and right leg to modulate well to maintain speed. Otherwise, the speed keep creeping up.

Moreover, manual has better engine brake and I find myself trying to ultilise it instead of using foot brake - so, down shift, ease off to let the speed drop, then corner. Hardly use foot brake during off peak driving, even when doing 90 degree turn.

It's also not as tiring to drive a manual in gridlock traffic as many perceived to be. The only challenge is when you are stuck on a steep slope, open window, trying to reach and operate a slot-in carpark machine, retrieve card and trying to move off and closing the window. Then, you will wish that you are an octopus. [:p] The idea of wishing of driving an auto does not even cross the mind for this type of scenario.

The "crawling up slope when exiting carparks" scenario is my personal pet peeve... so I try my best to avoid basement levels if there are upper storey carparks nearby. The only way to handle the slot-in cash card situation is to take your time with handbrake and clutch release -- if too rush, you'll roll back a bit and give that kan-cheong spider carpark tailgater a good scare!!

Anyway, current car is only available in manual so no choice... that said, I wonder what it's like to have a DSG tranny -- good alternative or too boring after a while??

But not all manual boxes are great to use and live with = a lot depends on shift and clutch feel and how the tranny compliments the engine...

Edited by Ml2spin
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I'll choose a manual if it is a high powered car, otherwise auto will do just fine.

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons. Even more so when the amount of torque that one can gain from 3 onwards is magnificient. Found joy again in driving, cf mundane transport with the auto gearbox.

The porker's gearbox is superb and with the sound coming from the flat 6, is just heaven! [angel][thumbsup][thumbsup]

So, folks out there, would you trade your auto for a manual anytime? What would your considerations be? Fire away

• Praise 1

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons.

Be careful, Mini-ITX has seen your car... [rolleyes]

Owned 2 cars to date all MT... I really enjoy my downshifts when cornering fast n hard... U dun get that sorta feel in an auto even with a DSG gearbox...

Unless u drive a Porker with PDK not the push push button type but the new ones with flappy paddles or a GTR perhaps den it could illicit the same feeling?

Maybe TS wanna share y no PDK for him?

Tried the PDK, but still no substitute leh...the engagement of driving is totally different [laugh]

In singapore road...did you manage to get pass gear 3 before making a stop at.....traffic light? [:p]

high power plus manual always clear gear 3 cause too fast for red light to catch me [:p][lipsrsealed]

dun ask me how I finally decided on a porker...cos was lookin at just selling my cx-7, then, things started to happen, and was looking at e90, e60, even a 7-series [laugh][laugh]

then ah heck, started looking at porkers...and this one fit the bill eprfectly! SA car, and full hsitory

That is 1 ride i like even though i only look @ its pic. My german colleague used to own 911 & move to 911. He told me he like cayman more than 911. 911 is more tail happy.

dun ask me how I finally decided on a porker...cos was lookin at just selling my cx-7, then, things started to happen, and was looking at e90, e60, even a 7-series [laugh][laugh]

then ah heck, started looking at porkers...and this one fit the bill eprfectly! SA car, and full hsitory

ah hia...

simi si porker?

imo its just a matter of getting used to..

im proud to say i jam 2hrs at cause way also no problem. no cramp nothing :D

your clutch not heavy enuff!!! time to change!!!

Time to move house bro, to fit the Porsche [:p]

naaah...think it looks cool to have a Porker in HDB [laugh][laugh]

but if I ever get a 'prancing horse' [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

A day since I collected my Cayman and the feeling of driving a manual really exhlirates me tons. Even more so when the amount of torque that one can gain from 3 onwards is magnificient. Found joy again in driving, cf mundane transport with the auto gearbox.

The porker's gearbox is superb and with the sound coming from the flat 6, is just heaven! [angel][thumbsup][thumbsup]

So, folks out there, would you trade your auto for a manual anytime? What would your considerations be? Fire away

I'm driving manual since 1st day of passing my class 3. Just love the control I have over my ride. The feeling's like shooting manual on a camera compared to auto [:p]

naaah...think it looks cool to have a Porker in HDB [laugh][laugh]

but if I ever get a 'prancing horse' [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Different priorities I guess, happiness is probably a key factor in yours.. [laugh]

Different priorities I guess, happiness is probably a key factor in yours.. [laugh]

yup....and yeah, house agent coming tonight lah [laugh][laugh][laugh]

feel a bit insecure with the STARES I am getting [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement