Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

any option to turn off these niggling hindrances?

yup..definitely.... [laugh][laugh][laugh] at your own risk hor

↡ Advertisement

The Newest Manual Transmissions Are Barely Manual. So many aids make them less manual than you think.

A constant refrain that you hear from rabid car fans is how the manual transmission is dying and we need to "save the manuals." We're frequently a party that is praising automakers when they make cars with a manual and deride them when one goes away.

So when cars like the Porsche Cayman GT4, Boxster Spyder, Corvette Z06, Nissan 370Z, Focus RS, BMW M3/M4 and more offer manual gearboxes as either the only option or the obviously better option, we rejoice. It's heralded as a win for enthusiasts that these gearboxes are still available and that the automakers are recognizing the needs of the enthusiasts.

But there's a small problem: These gearboxes aren't as manual as they might appear.

For example, along with the official horsepower numbers of the Ford Focus RS, details were released about the gearbox and drivetrain:

And yet even with all that torque, the manual-only hot hatch will be especially forgiving in the event a driver stalls the engine, as Focus RS will debut with a trick feature called stall recovery. In other words, there will be no need for drivers to manually restart the engine or move the gear selector to neutral as the innovative technology simply pushes the clutch back in.

That means that the Focus RS will help ham fisted (or ham footed, in this case) drivers that can't launch off the line from stalling the engine by using auto start/stop technology. From my experience, Porsche and Mini's (and possibly more) manuals use the auto start/stop to keep you from stalling. Stalling is a thing that happens with manual cars, especially with less experienced drivers, but nobody is really safe from the perils of sitting at a light and bucking to a stop. It's just part of the manual experience.

It builds character to stall an engine. But if the Focus RS mitigates a stall for you, where's the incentive to learn how to do it right when the car will compensate for you? 

Hill starts are also a dying art since so many cars now have a feature that holds them still on an incline (a feature Subaru had ages ago) until the car starts to move forward. It's another skill that isn't being learned anymore.

The same can be said for the auto rev match feature that's available on many new manuals. Instead of having to match the revs to make a smooth transition to a lower gear on your own, the car does it for you. If the car will match the revs for you, where's the incentive to learn?

Granted, these systems can all be turned off (Porsche doesn't even turn on rev matching unless you're in Sport Plus, but BMW has it on unless you put the car in Sport Plus), but if the car will do some of the more complicated work for you and you're happy with it, why would you turn the systems off?

These systems change new manual gearboxes into some sort of Franken-transmission that's an automatic with a clutch pedal. 

Lamborghini says that the clutch pedal is an interference in the dynamics of the car, and it must be part of the full system that is under control of the car, not under human control. That way they can all be in harmony. The driver is not part of that harmony.

Part of the joy of the manual is doing everything yourself, and when you screw up, you screwed it up. Now, automakers are including a safety net that makes your responsibility to solely use the clutch sometimes (but you apparently don't even need to be adept at it) and move a lever with your hand when the time is appropriate.

Of course, there'll always be people who turn off the systems every time they get in the car (or refuse to engage them) because they want to do everything themselves. But what happens when they experience a rev match or a stall save for the first time? Will they decide that since the computer can do it better than them that they don't need to do it anymore? It's possible. And will automakers decide, in the name of safety or some other BS, that auto rev match and stall prevention needs to always be in place and can't be defeated? We might be heading that way.

No matter what, the manuals that are being released now aren't as manual as they once were, and that's a shame.

• Praise 9

anybody still remember how to do balancing on a slope with a real manual  ?  [:p]

No problem.

Go to Germany and you will easily rent a manual car. Just drove one there last month.

• Praise 1

The Newest Manual Transmissions Are Barely Manual. So many aids make them less manual than you think.

It builds character to stall an engine. But if the Focus RS mitigates a stall for you, where's the incentive to learn how to do it right when the car will compensate for you? 

Hill starts are also a dying art since so many cars now have a feature that holds them still on an incline

Part of the joy of the manual is doing everything yourself, and when you screw up, you screwed it up. 

No matter what, the manuals that are being released now aren't as manual as they once were, and that's a shame.

Well said.

Robotised manual with 2 pedals is NOT a true blue manual.

A true blue manual car comes with 3 pedals and a gear stick, which leaves you with no free hand  to surf the net or answer a call on the go. 

• Praise 1

Will they decide that since the computer can do it better than them that they don't need to do it anymore? I

This is the crux of the issue - and while it's more than a shame, what can you do? 

Can you argue that ABS is bad as well? That we should be able to threshold brake or pump the pedal?

What can you say when the computer gear changes are measured in milliseconds? 

Sure, it's more "fun" to drive a traditional manual, but when the "computer" is objectively better in every metric other than "fun" what is there that can really be said about it? 

The enthusiast driver is going to be a dying breed unfortunately, and part of that is that cars are simply too good - and as cars get better, the restrictions on driving for fun are going to become more and more constricting - and more and more expensive, driving the enthusiast to extinction

• Praise 1

(edited)

This is the crux of the issue - and while it's more than a shame, what can you do?

Can you argue that ABS is bad as well? That we should be able to threshold brake or pump the pedal?

What can you say when the computer gear changes are measured in milliseconds?

Sure, it's more "fun" to drive a traditional manual, but when the "computer" is objectively better in every metric other than "fun" what is there that can really be said about it?

The enthusiast driver is going to be a dying breed unfortunately, and part of that is that cars are simply too good - and as cars get better, the restrictions on driving for fun are going to become more and more constricting - and more and more expensive, driving the enthusiast to extinction

There's just something enriching and fulfilling about shifting your own gears especially when accompanied by some spirited driving. The corner approaches, the ball of your right leg goes hard on the brake pedals your hand stretches towards the gear lever in anticipation of the downshift. Braking almost completed, your right foot pivots a little to the right to dab the throttle. Simultaneously your left leg depressed the clutch pedal with your hand firmly but not forcefully guides the lever one gear down. Throttle blipped, clutched released and just like that, in one shift motion, you've completed a heel-toe downshift. The mechanical clunk from the shifter slotting precisely into the right gate is equivalent of the fizzing sound when a beer can is popped.

I won't kid u, get it wrong and the car would lurch forward accompanied by gear grind, But when u do nail it, the feeling is nothing short of pure euphoria.

The feeling though could be long gone if we stop buying manual. I'm no way advocating the banishment of automatics. However, indulging in some manual driving could go a long way in preserving what is a way of life for some of us.

If we stop caring about manuals, society as we know it could be very well plummet into anarchy as the apathetic nature spreads into facets of our lives, like politics.

so please people, I implore you... start giving a shift and your life could transform into something better. if it doesn't, at least you may have mastered a heel and toe downshift and that's cool in my book.

Edited by Aaronlkl
  • Praise 11

(edited)

am still trying to get used to an auto car.

especially on 2nd lane on the highway, want to go 1st lane, hard to judge tight overtaking even though new car is much faster.

feels like losing control

the only benefit of an auto car is if ur leg is injured u can still drive.

so happens left leg gets sports injury time to time. can still self drive to see doc. hahahaa

Edited by Johnny86
  • Praise 2

There's just something enriching and fulfilling about shifting your own gears especially when accompanied by some spirited driving. The corner approaches, the ball of your right leg goes hard on the brake pedals your hand stretches towards the gear lever in anticipation of the downshift. Braking almost completed, your right foot pivots a little to the right to dab the throttle. Simultaneously your left leg depressed the clutch pedal with your hand firmly but not forcefully guides the lever one gear down. Throttle blipped, clutched released and just like that, in one shift motion, you've completed a heel-toe downshift. The mechanical clunk from the shifter slotting precisely into the right gate is equivalent of the fizzing sound when a beer can is popped.

I won't kid u, get it wrong and the car would lurch forward accompanied by gear grind, But when u do nail it, the feeling is nothing short of pure euphoria.

The feeling though could be long gone if we stop buying manual. I'm no way advocating the banishment of automatics. However, indulging in some manual driving could go a long way in preserving what is a way of life for some of us.

If we stop caring about manuals, society as we know it could be very well plummet into anarchy as the apathetic nature spreads into facets of our lives, like politics.

so please people, I implore you... start giving a shift and your life could transform into something better. if it doesn't, at least you may have mastered a heel and toe downshift and that's cool in my book.

Unable to praise you. Haters gonna hate hate hate. Personally, people who are competent to drive a stick shift properly will enjoy a manual over an auto. Unfortunately, many automakers after moving from mt in favour of safety, emission and 0 -60 timing. Many jap auto makers are up scaling their performance models to compete with European makes. Nissan with the gtr, honda with the nsx, Toyota with the upcoming supra...seems that only Subaru keeps their sti in mt only now.

And it's a fact that mt are more intimidating than the never stall or row backwards auto. Most of my friends dun drive mt except the trackie kakis of which the population is getting lesser every year.

I don't heel and toe on normal roads as I find it harder to get a good pivot on the brake pedal when not fully depressed instead, I adopt the rolling of the feet method to rev match. Though not as fast, but still as fun. As much as I hate to admit. Mt cars will be scarce in the future. Electric and autonomous are the future to save our polar bears.

• Praise 3

I now own a manual and I wanna say shifting of gears is not that hard. Just a matter of getting used to it. This includes moving upslope.

As long as you have been trained before. It will come back to you. A pity if they do away with manuals.

• Praise 2

I now own a manual and I wanna say shifting of gears is not that hard. Just a matter of getting used to it. This includes moving upslope.

As long as you have been trained before. It will come back to you. A pity if they do away with manuals.

I can see that driver in you! [drivingcar]  :a-good:

• Praise 2

another advantage of owning a manual transmission car.... annoying relatives/friends/colleagues (especially those with class 3A licence) will not ask to borrow your car  [laugh]

• Praise 3

if i can change car again.. i will get a manual too ... let my kids go and learn manual gear instead of having the easy way out

Actually I hope nursing does not go that way also. Example is checking of pulse and blood pressure. Nowadays there are so many instruments that can do that and these instruments are prevalent in hospitals, both govt and private. I hope we never go to the stage where we only teach people to use machines and not do it in its basic form. Like pulse to physically feel for it and blood pressure to physically feel and use the sphygmomanometer and stethoscope to get the blood pressure.

In the same way for cars I hope everyone can learn manual. Driving auto is fine if that is personal preference esp in crowded Singapore but at least one should have at least been trained how to drive a manual or in other words basics of nursing.

And yeah one advantage is people with class 3A will not ask to borrow your car and in fact even those with class 3 are unlikely to do so cos there are very few people now even with class 3 comfortable with a manual.

↡ Advertisement