Ah! the joy of a manual..

RadX

if i can change car again.. i will get a manual too ... let my kids go and learn manual gear instead of having the easy way out

same thoughts here, looking for a simple newer MT car is very hard.. need 1 to tahan another 9-10years before my kids can learn to drive and manual is the way to go i told them..  its like a master key to all kinds of cars on the road...  you know how to drive with 3 pedals and a stick, there aint many much harder cars out there to drive.

↡ Advertisement

There's just something enriching and fulfilling about shifting your own gears especially when accompanied by some spirited driving. The corner approaches, the ball of your right leg goes hard on the brake pedals your hand stretches towards the gear lever in anticipation of the downshift. Braking almost completed, your right foot pivots a little to the right to dab the throttle. Simultaneously your left leg depressed the clutch pedal with your hand firmly but not forcefully guides the lever one gear down. Throttle blipped, clutched released and just like that, in one shift motion, you've completed a heel-toe downshift. The mechanical clunk from the shifter slotting precisely into the right gate is equivalent of the fizzing sound when a beer can is popped.

I won't kid u, get it wrong and the car would lurch forward accompanied by gear grind, But when u do nail it, the feeling is nothing short of pure euphoria.

The feeling though could be long gone if we stop buying manual. I'm no way advocating the banishment of automatics. However, indulging in some manual driving could go a long way in preserving what is a way of life for some of us.

If we stop caring about manuals, society as we know it could be very well plummet into anarchy as the apathetic nature spreads into facets of our lives, like politics.

so please people, I implore you... start giving a shift and your life could transform into something better. if it doesn't, at least you may have mastered a heel and toe downshift and that's cool in my book.

I like this a lot. Some of it (anarchy, really?) is total BS, but I still like it! [laugh]

I located a V12 Vantage manual on SGCM a couple days ago, but when I called, it had just been sold. Sad. But lucky owner. That car needs a manual, the single clutch automated manual in that car really sucks.

I like this a lot. Some of it (anarchy, really?) is total BS, but I still like it! [laugh]

I located a V12 Vantage manual on SGCM a couple days ago, but when I called, it had just been sold. Sad. But lucky owner. That car needs a manual, the single clutch automated manual in that car really sucks.

Quite surprise u actually wanted to buy a manual Aston. I always thought that u dislike the stick!

:XD:

• Praise 7

Quite surprise u actually wanted to buy a manual Aston. I always thought that u dislike the stick!

:XD:

Bro I've probably driven and tracked more MT cars than most here have driven any sort of car. I love driving manuals.

But the issue is a triple whammy.

Firstly, I must accommodate a wife who doesn't want to drive a manual and a father who was a real driver in his heyday but now is handicapped with serious leg sensory problems that make it very difficult for him to drive a manual. If I get a manual it'll be just for me, and I'll feel a little selfish.

Secondly, the new torque converter autos and DCTs are too quick for me to disdain them. It would be a performance downgrade to have a slower shifting transmission. When I'm driving a 600hp car, I do care about tenths of a second.

Finally, many of the new manuals in more powerful cars are nowhere near as manual as they used to be. They allow you to cheat in various ways from rev matching for you to having stall prevention. It's nothing like a proper manual should be.

Which is why (if I were being self-indulgent) I would happily get an older manual over one of these new crappy machines. I drove a 944 turbo manual recently. Clutch wasn't in the best of shape but drove it smoothly and without stalling without having owned a 3 pedal car in almost a decade. Like riding a bike I guess.

I do regret not having had a chance with the Aston. But my real Moby Dick, my holy grail, call it what you will, is the F430 manual. If I ever find one of those I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The manual is so much better than the F1 transmission (I sold mine cos I didn't like that transmission). But manual 430s are almost impossible to find and any lucky owner would have to be a fool to sell them now.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

Hello good folks, allow me to just jump in and share my most candid thoughts

1) when we're in our 20s, 0 to 100kmh timings mattered much

2) in the 30s, track timings mattered much

3) now, to me at least, the engagement and experience of the drive matter the most amongst other variables.

New technology gizmos with their automated trannies and what have you may indeed be faster these days, but they sure don't take me back to roots of pure driving engagement and pleasure.

I've had conversations with many and there will always be some who would rather opt for an automated tranny over a manual just for the sole reason of 'couple of tenth seconds quicker....'

I can respect that, afterall it all boils down to whatever floats our own boat.

Used to drive manual, but recent 2 years when buy car have decided to get auto for the convenience.

It's been less than 2 years since I last drove a manual car but sometimes when like wanna enter a turn, the hand will still instinctively wanna reach for gear knob and downshift. Jialat thing is sometimes I feel it's time to shift up/down already but the auto gear box still deciding what to do.

The only worst scenario I was caught in a manual was at Causeway Point mscp. It was a kinda steep upslope to enter the carpark and there was a massive jam to enter. I was stuck on the slope and was driving a Citroen Berlingo. No power at all. Usually at these slopes I don't bother with the clutch and handbrake technique cos I never had a problem.

That day was the only time after driving school I had to use the clutch and handbrake method. Haha. The engine stalled twice and rolled back. Lucky the driver behind me didn't horn me.

Didn't think i would see such a thread and am pleasantly surprised.

Have been driving stick for the past 19 years and still loving it. Currently driving a 6-speed manual and it is still as gratifying to me as the very time i sat in my instructor's car and learning how to do the "proper gear shift technique".

Quite sad to see that most, if not all, new cars no longer have a manual option. Being familiar with a stick-shift is tremendously helpful, especially when you are renting abroad and don't really feel like paying an extra $10-20 per day for an automatic.

Still sadly counting down the days to when I have no choice but to bid my trusty manual bye-bye. :TT_TT:

• Praise 1

Didn't think i would see such a thread and am pleasantly surprised.

Have been driving stick for the past 19 years and still loving it. Currently driving a 6-speed manual and it is still as gratifying to me as the very time i sat in my instructor's car and learning how to do the "proper gear shift technique".

Quite sad to see that most, if not all, new cars no longer have a manual option. Being familiar with a stick-shift is tremendously helpful, especially when you are renting abroad and don't really feel like paying an extra $10-20 per day for an automatic.

Still sadly counting down the days to when I have no choice but to bid my trusty manual bye-bye. :TT_TT:

manual rocks!  Can stil indent but for how much longer tho?

• Praise 1

manual rocks!  Can stil indent but for how much longer tho?

No idea. But likely that they might only come for cars at the extreme spectrums, i.e. from supercar/sports car range down to the barebone, basic A-to-B (read: "kar-tar") car range.

I can't see them doing much in the middle(-class) band which is where the bulk of our Singapore consumers are.

Supercharged

Haha I think need to page @kurty to come in and share his experience too.

yeah, good day.

how can I help you?

• Praise 1

yeah, good day.

how can I help you?

Haha nothing la. Can share your joy of driving manual car for more than 10 years.

No idea. But likely that they might only come for cars at the extreme spectrums, i.e. from supercar/sports car range down to the barebone, basic A-to-B (read: "kar-tar") car range.

I can't see them doing much in the middle(-class) band which is where the bulk of our Singapore consumers are.

The highest end cars will come out with DCTs for a while at least, but they may be transition to the newer generation automatics (like the ZF). They will not have a manual option.

Porsche will grudgingly supply MTs for some of their cars because of the vociferous MT fanboy lobby. At least they do listen (somewhat) to their customers. The only issue is that these MTs are diluted new fangled things, with auto rev matching, anti-stall and lots of other features that obviate any real driver involvement advantage over a paddle shifter. One can turn them off, so that's something, I suppose.

The basic models will transition to autos, except for special cars like the Civic Type R and the GT86/BRZ. The fact that the latter even came with an auto option suggests the end is nigh for the MT.

Edited by Turboflat4

Supercharged

Haha nothing la. Can share your joy of driving manual car for more than 10 years.

not much joy left..

pro of manual

good FC

can do drag race, tyre spin, reach the red line mark

lesser problem as compare to auto tranny

Real-Men-Use-Three-Pedals-Sticker-Decal-

con of manual

tiring when you face a jam..

need to 'master' the biting point of your car to avoid engine stall or roll back when you face with an upslope..

cannot hold your gf's hand from point A to B but if you are married, don't bother to hold her hand.

use your hand to dig nose better.

after a long day of driving, your leg are tired and aching.. probably a tell sign that you are old and suffer from osteoporosis.

if pattern repeat more than 10 years, you probably wont even want to drive during off day.

I would take grab or mrt during weekend or ph..

[:p]

Edited by Kurty
↡ Advertisement