Hospital blunders!

Mahjong74

Neutral Newbie

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1091378/1/.html

Thomson Medical suspended from new assisted reproduction activities

SINGAPORE : The Ministry of Health (MOH) has suspended with immediate effect all new assisted reproduction (AR) activities at the Thomson Fertility Centre.

The centre at Thomson Medical Centre has been instructed to stop admitting patients for any new AR procedures, including sperm collection and processing.

Existing patients who have started AR cycles with the centre should be given a choice on whether to continue at the centre or transfer to another AR centre.

There are 9 other such centres in Singapore.

MOH has asked the centre to facilitate the transfer should a patient wishes to do so and to give its full support and fulfil its duty of care to the patient.

This followed a baby mix-up for a couple who had their baby through in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).

MOH said it has started a full investigation into the IVF incident at the centre to identify the cause of the problem.

Even as the investigation is underway, MOH said its audits have revealed some shortcomings in existing processes and practices which increase the risk of mix-ups occurring.

These included a single lab personnel handling more than one specimen at a workstation in the lab at a given time.

The ministry said for patients who have started treatment, the centre should adopt additional recommended processes beyond those already issued with the AR directives. This includes processing only one AR related specimen at any one time.

Meanwhile, MOH will be reminding all approved AR centres that they are to adhere strictly to stipulated directives, protocols and guidelines on AR procedures. These include labelling, collection, transfer, storage and disposal of any specimen.

The ministry said this additional requirement of processing only one AR related specimen at a time will also be applicable to all other AR centres.

It added that this has been the practice adopted in all three public hospitals' AR centres.

- CNA/al

• Praise 1

I find it funny when ppl start comparing their normal baby delivery experiences at TMC when they did not went thru the IVF procedure.

I mean the IVF is done mostly in a controlled or lab environment. Chances of a mixed up is there and that explains why ppl have come up with so many checks. While delivery of a baby is now mostly done with the parents around to witness the whole delivery. If you cannot recognise what your baby look like after the delivery I dunno what to say. Chances of a mixup is really small.

it might not be the father's child but it is the mother's child.

this is a test of the couples morale if they were to keep the kid...

i wonder whether the biological father knows or will ever know about his child..... [:/]

this time it was the "color" of the baby that rise the bell...

what if the case was correct blood type and "correct" color... how will the parent know??

i think this was really a fundamental fault... almost as serious as that time tinted blood flow into the blood bank.

• Praise 1

I remember going through the procedure a few times - every time the "special bottle" was prelabelled with my name n stuff, and they made me check before I was allowed into the little room.

As an aside - Mnt E has a nicer room than Gleneagles - Mnt e even got bench n mag, at Gleneagles was just told "eh, the disabled toilet got more space" (my wife was giggling away)

hehe i had my at Mt E....and we were lucky first time round...probably cos the gynae is skillful. Those who wanna do IVF can PM me for the gynae name

Their bottles does not include IC, and so if there are 2 ppl with the same name that are going thru the procedures, mistakes can happen easily

They should have security see thru the whole male's part.

So that no punk is played.You know...switch bottles? [laugh]

Edited by Csnewbie

Turbocharged

i wonder whether the biological father knows or will ever know about his child..... [:/]

i suddenly have this thought.. chances are, another female out there might be carrying embryo fertilised by this ang moh's sperm... :blink:

• Praise 1

Which brings me to the next point for all of you to consider.

All children are born out of accident.

I and my wife, my parents, her parents didn't plan to have US. Us as in I, genie47 and my wife [name withheld for privacy].

You are not what your parents wanted. They didn't plan to have you. They planned to have a baby. A nameless, helpless infant but they didn't plan to have you.

All of us are actually in denial of this fact.

This couple fostering this baby out shows you this great chasm between the desire to hold an infant and the great responsibility of raising a child.

Now how screwed up all of us are? VERY.

Interesting point. Of course, the obvious counterpoint is that this couple was so hellbent on having genetically-related offspring (50-50 contribution from ma *and* pa, I mean) that they were willing to go through the expense, discomfort and indignity of IVF. They could've adopted, but they went for a medical procedure instead.

Not that there's anything the least bit wrong with that. Consider that the reproductive urge itself is born of a subconsciously-felt biological imperative to "pass down one's genes". The intense pleasure of copulation is nothing but an evolutionary machination (if mechanistic processes can be said to have machinations) to get us to shed our swimmers bearing our double-helices into hopefully fertile vessels with double-helices of their own.

In other words, parents may not have a clear conception of what their "nameless, helpless infant" is going to look like or turn out like in the long run, but they're somehow emboldened by the quiet confidence that it shares their genetic makeup. That's the point.

So, is the urge to have related offspring rational? Perhaps not, considering that all humans are so closely related on a grand genetic scale. But there's nothing rational about the whole process anyway. Consider this - even adopters tend to prefer children of their "own race" even though race has been established to be nothing more than a socio-cultural construct that doesn't have any good biological basis. And from a coldly rational perspective, what are we doing having more kids when the world is reeling from an overpopulation problem already? If a humane solution is desired, wouldn't adopting the teeming hordes of unwanted children from the third world be the best option? I'm not trying to be preachy here (my own son was a normal biological birth), I'm just trying to make the point that reason has very little role to play in how people choose to have and rear their offspring.

I agree, we're VERY screwed up. On a more tangential philosophical note, I've always found it curious and amusing how fixated we are on our apparent freewill (which probably isn't real anyway), yet we seem to take the most foolish (and often destructive) pride in things we had no choice in. Like our lineage, the arbitrary geopolitical borders within which we happened to be born, (the fallacious concept of) "race" and even inherited faith.

Paradoxical little blighters, aren't we?

Edited by Turboflat4

Let me give u the scenario. Suppose if the nurse call out the name of the guy who happened to go to the loo , and the other guy with the same name came forward to confirm the specimen bottle. And the rest is history .

They should have security see thru the whole male's part.

So that no punk is played.You know...switch bottles? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement