SIA pulls 3 A380s out of service

1fast1

Whenever you search you must clear your cache, otherwise you will not get the best deal. The cookie travel search engine will upload what they want to show you and not the cheapest.

As for Garuda, my humble advice is to avoid because they got maintenance issue despite their routes to the West had already reinstated.

dont mind if i ask, whats the easiest way to clear the cache?

Clear history?

↡ Advertisement

Fly Business or First Class then. [;)]

wah, Biz and First Class very ex one hor ....

I won't even pay for Premium Economy. 

Supersonic

I would avoid Garuda and MAS, to me safety is priceless

MAS is a definite no no. But since when is Garuda less safe than Sia?

There is a time limit on how long you can stay in the shower.

How long? What if I have soap on me?

(edited)

Emirates Balks at A380 Order Until Superjumbo's Fate Is Clear

Emirates, the world’s biggest operator of the Airbus SE A380 superjumbo, said it’s reluctant to place a further order for the double-decker jet until the future of the slow-selling model becomes clear.

With Airbus mulling production cuts if no new deals are secured this year, Dubai-based Emirates needs reassurances about the European planemaker’s plans for the A380 as much as it does additional cost savings, Tim Clark, its president, said Wednesday in Paris.

“I’m more concerned about continuity of production,” Clark said at a media briefing. “If they came up with what we want at the right price, knowing that we’ll need to retire aircraft fairly soon we would probably take some more. But I don’t want to be left with a pup. I don’t want to be left with aeroplanes that are headed for obsolescence.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-21/emirates-seeks-more-than-winglets-to-order-additional-a380-jets

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

True, but am pretty sure international carriers are flying A380s to US airports, so airports would have to be A380-ready anyways.

So just wondering why US carriers themselves don't use A380s. 

I have tried SQ and QF many years back when just launched, novelty lah. Now many planes also have touch screen 10 inch entertainment systems.

Good thing is when kena turbulence probably much less shaking then say the A320.  [laugh]

I suspect is something related to safety against terrorism. 

Supersonic

The problem could be you :XD:

My wife came to Beijing in SQ in May. The fare only 500+ which is similar to Air China.

Sometime, it could be cheaper at Airline website.

Can't be me la. I always use Expedia and other travel websites to compare(at least 2).

Also, for sg to pek,all my Chinese colleagues say that air China is much cheaper. If you compare promotional price for sq then must compare promotional price for air China too.

Btw, I think air China and sq sometimes codeshare too...

Turbocharged

Can't be me la. I always use Expedia and other travel websites to compare(at least 2).

Also, for sg to pek,all my Chinese colleagues say that air China is much cheaper. If you compare promotional price for sq then must compare promotional price for air China too.

Most Star Alliance partners code-shared with each other.

Cheap fares tickets, usually cannot take code-share flight.

must strictly travel on their own aircraft

SQ have many cheap tickets, but must book early.

Their lowest category (prices) is under "K" Class which is comparable to many others Airlines.

Supersonic

Most Star Alliance partners code-shared with each other.

Cheap fares tickets, usually cannot take code-share flight.

must strictly travel on their own aircraft

SQ have many cheap tickets, but must book early.

Their lowest category (prices) is under "K" Class which is comparable to many others Airlines.

Thanks for the tip. Usually when I buy a ticket, it is already code shared and I have no intention to change the trip (usually a planned holiday).

I'm not sure about k class but if you have to buy it early then I usually wouldn't see it cuz I always buy either on time or late. I guess k class is good but Sia is not for me.

Supersonic

Its just a perception rather than a fact. Perhaps it is Indonesian airlines in general

http://www.smh.com.au/world/indonesian-airlines-rank-lowest-in-world-for-safety-20160106-gm0hx4.html

I was trying to book a flight into JKR next week, but all the full fledge airlines were fully booked except for Garuda still have many flights available, i ended up changing my schedule to week after next.

Garuda is being rated with a lower safety rating than MAS here.

http://www.airlineratings.com/airlines-ratings.php?l=M

Supersonic
(edited)

I was trying to book a flight into JKR next week, but all the full fledge airlines were fully booked except for Garuda still have many flights available, i ended up changing my schedule to week after next.

Garuda is being rated with a lower safety rating than MAS here.

http://www.airlineratings.com/airlines-ratings.php?l=M

Gotta look closely into the actual criteria for the safety ratings. For eg, according to this site, MAS is rated higher than Scoot.... I dunno about you but I'll take scoot anytime over MAS.... But pre-crash time, I would have taken MAS w/o any worries at all so go figure.

And according to their criteria, Garuda has 4 pts (2 taken off for not doing some audits and 1 taken off for an accident in 2007). According to the criteria, the 1 pt taken off for the accident is supposed to last for 10 years from the accident where there was fatalities but that accident was in 2007 Mar so more than 10 years has passed and the website hasn't been updated.

Edited by Kusje

Rather checking at least 2 travel agency portal, why not use Skyscanner or Kayak?

The normal price for SG -> PEK is SQ $1k & Air China $500.  How low do you think Air China could go somemore?

Supersonic

Rather checking at least 2 travel agency portal, why not use Skyscanner or Kayak?

The normal price for SG -> PEK is SQ $1k & Air China $500.  How low do you think Air China could go somemore?

I do use Kayak actually.

Like you said, SQ is 1k and Air China is 500. On apple to apple basis, SQ is definitely not worth it lor. How much additional "comfort" can they give for a 6 hr flight?

That being said, my coy already has long term agreements with Air China for flights into China so even if SQ is cheaper also useless.

I do use Kayak actually.

Like you said, SQ is 1k and Air China is 500. On apple to apple basis, SQ is definitely not worth it lor. How much additional "comfort" can they give for a 6 hr flight?

That being said, my coy already has long term agreements with Air China for flights into China so even if SQ is cheaper also useless.

When SQ promo price is 500, not worth it meh?

For SQ, i don't have to watch LeTV download on my ipad.

For additional comfort, it is definitely SQ biz class :XD:

Hypersonic
(edited)

I can't really comment on those two lines as I've never been to Europe or USA before. But when ever I use Expedia or any other travel site to check the prices to places I do want to go to, SIA is always at least 10% more even if I look at the dates which are a few months out.

Apple to Apple wise, airlines like air Korea, Cathay and China air or air China are cheaper.

In recent years, I've never travelled Sia except when going to Jakarta and that's only because my bosses think garauda is somehow unsafe. If I were going on my own dime, I would choose Garuda in a heartbeat.

CX has a good safety record. 

SQ is no.27 last i checked.

Korean airlines are all ranked in high 40s in not a very long list.

I booked my seoul trip. SQ just very slightly more expensive than KAL only. No brainer.

Garuda was banned from flying to Europe just few years back.

It's not perceived to be unsafe. It was deemed unsafe by Europe.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

When SQ promo price is 500, not worth it meh?

For SQ, i don't have to watch LeTV download on my ipad.

For additional comfort, it is definitely SQ biz class :XD:

Promo price at 500 vs 500 at airchina can be worth it la.

But like you said, it is a promo price and most of the time, promo price comes with restrictions and have ticket limitations. You also have to book far in advance which I usually won't do.

Let's just say that if SQ is cheaper than the other airlines in Kayak, I will book them (if flight times are suitable) but under normal circumstances, that's not possible.

Hypersonic
(edited)

This is the official safety ranking of the top 60 airlines in the world.

SQ is no. 32. Due to the Taipei crash.

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/

CX is no.1

anyway to each his own. I look at more convenient departure timings now rather than look for a particular carrier.

any advantage of skyscanner vs kayak?

I just use skyscanner to look for flight timings. The indicative pricing is not accurate one. I just go to the airline website to book myself usually.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement