Any successful travel insurance claim before ?

Joemit7850

Thanks for sharing then. 

My opinion is that their policy is sufficiently clear on this matter and fair as well because the loss for delayed luggage for someone coming home is limited and able to be borne by the insured.

↡ Advertisement

We all must understand a travel insurance is to protect you from inconvenience when you are overseas.

Er.. Some travel insurance companies also offers coverage for Medical expenses in Singapore.. 

next time just read properly and choose those terms that suit you lor, nothing to argue if already done.

if can claim is a bonus.

• Praise 1

next time just read properly and choose those terms that suit you lor, nothing to argue if already done.

if can claim is a bonus.

Yup! Lesson learnt  [thumbsup]  

Yup! Lesson learnt  [thumbsup]  

thks for pointing the clause.

I didnt know such clause exist

i have been supporting HL for the past years on travel insurance.

will skip them immediately.

Edited by Mcf777

Er.. Some travel insurance companies also offers coverage for Medical expenses in Singapore.. 

if i not wrong, the presumption was because you may have caught the illness while overseas... 

anyway i agree with most of the people here... the writing is clear enough

if i not wrong, the presumption was because you may have caught the illness while overseas... 

anyway i agree with most of the people here... the writing is clear enough

i think there is a 24 hr or 48 hr allowance if you fall ill after your return. That was why the cover period i will include one day after the return date.

i think there is a 24 hr or 48 hr allowance if you fall ill after your return. That was why the cover period i will include one day after the return date.

this is something i had thought about, if you touch down today, 1st Feb but you buy cover till 2nd Feb. Are you actually being covered till 2nd Feb?

I suspect not

• Praise 1

yup.  Most travel insurance covers your medical  expenses (1st consultation) in Singapore after your trip provided you see the doctor within 3 days upon arriving in Singapore and the you got your illness during the trip. 

the number of days depends on insurer, have to read the policy.  Most insurers i know is 3 days.

this is something i had thought about, if you touch down today, 1st Feb but you buy cover till 2nd Feb. Are you actually being covered till 2nd Feb?

I suspect not

As far as I know travel insurance starts from 2 hours before the flight or the moment you leave your house to the airport and 2 hours upon arrival in Singapore.  Meaning they cover - Home to airport + the whole trip + airport to home.  Except for the medical that most insurers allow up to 3 days upon arrival in Singapore. 

As for the baggage delay in Singapore, I am not too sure.  I can check for you.

Edited by Dleodleo

As far as I know travel insurance starts from 2 hours before the flight or the moment you leave your house to the airport and 2 hours upon arrival in Singapore.  Meaning they cover - Home to airport + the whole trip + airport to home.  Except for the medical that most insurers allow up to 3 days upon arrival in Singapore. 

As for the baggage delay in Singapore, I am not too sure.  I can check for you.

This is my understanding too. HL also covers treatment within five days after your return from the Journey. 

Prior to using HL insurance, I used to stick with NTUC insurance. For baggage delays, the NTUC insurance clearly broke down the claims into "For every six hours of delay while overseas" and "Baggage delay after six hours when arriving in Singapore"

However, the HL policy, on baggage delays, has no such breakdown or exclusions listed; and unfortunately, I naively assumed that overseas destination was referenced from the point of travel.

Oh well.. lesson learnt.. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

I took out a travel insurance policy with Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore through Singcapital for my family. The policy holds valid for a period of 12 months and covers worldwide (TM Xplora Classic Family).

My family and I planned to travel to Japan for holiday. However, my wife experienced increase abdominal girth gradually and had heavy bleeding and two other bleeding earlier. She was referred for ultrasound pelvis (to investigate gynaecological tumour). It was diagnosed she is pregnancy and her expected date of pregnancy coincide with our traveling plan.

The attending consultant has certified she is unfit for travel.

Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore replied that

Section 16 (trip cancellation) “Pregnancy is not listed as one of the conditions". Tokio Marine Manager, Underwriting - Personal Lines (A&H) & Customer Service Centre replied "The above clauses are all stipulated in the policy terms and conditions (policy wordings) and Pregnancy is excluded for all sections of the policy except for Benefit 6 – Medical Expenses – Pregnancy Related Expenses." Citing Pregnancy not listed as one of the conditions" for trip cancellation.

Misrepresention??? I was only given a pdf copy of the policy schedule. No hard copy on the policy terms was given! I have been renewing the annal travel insurance.

Fine print: You may request for a hardcopy if you need.

You will be surprise the "hidden clauses" when you file the claims.

This is not a pre-exisiting condition of illness/pregnancy! It did not specifically state Pregnancy cannot claim.

I will definitely not renew or purchase any other insurance policies with

Tokio Marine and Singcapital.

After this bad experience, I think there is no need to purchase travel insurance. Just buy flexible air tickets(can reschedule date) and paid a little extra for free cancellation(hotel). You can charge the full cost of your tickets or travel package to the credit card that provide free insurance. It should include Travel Accident, Overseas Emergency Medical and Assistance travel expenses.

Note: Make sure you have sufficient term policy and hospitalisation plan.

• Praise 1

Not sure if I mentioned here before. But years ago in 2004, I went backpacking in Israel. As at that time only the annual plan for travel insurance had a coverage for terrorism, I got it.

After the trip, I needed to claim for something unrelated (money stolen). So I happened to check the fine print for terrorism.

Turned out if i had been shot in a shootout between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians, I am not covered as it is war.

If I was caught up in a riot I am not covered because it was a riot and riots were excluded. Specifically for Israel because one cannot say no advisory on chances of rioting.

So technically short of a suicide attack or held hostsge (which is vague because it depends on how you became a hostage ), turned out I was not really covered for terrorism.

After that I made it a point to look at fine prints for travel insurance.

Bonus picture. I am in hawaii now.

post-57859-0-44327100-1512430315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philipkee

I took out a travel insurance policy with Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore through Singcapital for my family. The policy holds valid for a period of 12 months and covers worldwide (TM Xplora Classic Family).

My family and I planned to travel to Japan for holiday. However, my wife experienced increase abdominal girth gradually and had heavy bleeding and two other bleeding earlier. She was referred for ultrasound pelvis (to investigate gynaecological tumour). It was diagnosed she is pregnancy and her expected date of pregnancy coincide with our traveling plan.

Section 16 (trip cancellation) “Pregnancy is not listed as one of the conditions". Tokio Marine Manager, Underwriting - Personal Lines (A&H) & Customer Service Centre replied "The above clauses are all stipulated in the policy terms and conditions (policy wordings) and Pregnancy is excluded for all sections of the policy except for Benefit 6 – Medical Expenses – Pregnancy Related Expenses." Citing Pregnancy not listed as one of the conditions" for trip cancellation.

Misrepresention??? I was only given a pdf copy of the policy schedule. No hard copy on the policy terms was given! I have been renewing the annal travel insurance.

This is not a pre-exisiting condition of illness/pregnancy! It did not specifically state Pregnancy cannot claim.

After this bad experience, I think there is no need to purchase travel insurance. Just buy flexible air tickets(can reschedule date) and paid a little extra for free cancellation(hotel). You can charge the full cost of your tickets or travel package to the credit card that provide free insurance. It should include Travel Accident, Overseas Emergency Medical and Assistance travel expenses.

Bought an annual travel insurance from AXA cover 6 April 2017 till 5 April 2018. Paid $246

Was in Thailand doing some volunteer work last week and was bitten by stray dogs on 31 March. 

Visited local clinic but they cannot do much. 

Came back Singapore on 2 April and went to SGH straightaway. Was surprise that the rabies vaccine (4 jabs) cost me $3300 on the first visit. 

Contact AXA and they said no problem and can claim. Just submitted my claim online and hope the claim can go thru. 

Will update further after claim successfully. 

• Praise 1

Bought an annual travel insurance from AXA cover 6 April 2017 till 5 April 2018. Paid $246.

Was in Thailand doing some volunteer work last week and was bitten by stray dogs on 31 March.

Visited local clinic but they cannot do much.

Came back Singapore on 2 April and went to SGH straightaway. Was surprise that the rabies vaccine (4 jabs) cost me $3300 on the first visit.

Contact AXA and they said no problem and can claim. Just submitted my claim online and hope the claim can go thru.

Will update further after claim successfully.

Quite dangerous to wait for few days to seek treatment [sweatdrop]

Supersonic

PDF copy or hard copy... What does it matter?

Does the PDF copy and hard copy state the terms differently from the other? Clauses were not hidden, you didn't read them la.

BTW, did you manage to check TNC from other travel insurance? Which one doesn't exclude pregn?

Quite dangerous to wait for few days to seek treatment [sweatdrop]

ya true. should have go for immediate injection in thailand hospital. 

But luckily SGH doctors told me no infection so far after all the tests. 

And I should be ok by getting the injection within 5 days. 

• Praise 1

For travel insurance, I go with FWD which has given me excellent service so far. I have an annual travel insurance plan with them. Was hospitalized overseas on a business trip. From the time I submit my claim upon return and until successful claim.... 20 days!!!!! When I used to use AXA or NTUC, I don't even remember it was as fast.

If FWD keeps up with this good service, it can look forward to my business for many more years to come.

post-3198-0-55918500-1524680405_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement