Any successful travel insurance claim before ?

Joemit7850

I took out a travel insurance policy with Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore through Singcapital for my family. The policy holds valid for a period of 12 months and covers worldwide (TM Xplora Classic Family).

My family and I planned to travel to Japan for holiday. However, my wife experienced increase abdominal girth gradually and had heavy bleeding and two other bleeding earlier. She was referred for ultrasound pelvis (to investigate gynaecological tumour). It was diagnosed she is pregnancy and her expected date of pregnancy coincide with our traveling plan.

The attending consultant has certified she is unfit for travel.

Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore replied that

Section 16 (trip cancellation) “Pregnancy is not listed as one of the conditions". Tokio Marine Manager, Underwriting - Personal Lines (A&H) & Customer Service Centre replied "The above clauses are all stipulated in the policy terms and conditions (policy wordings) and Pregnancy is excluded for all sections of the policy except for Benefit 6 – Medical Expenses – Pregnancy Related Expenses." Citing Pregnancy not listed as one of the conditions" for trip cancellation.

Misrepresention??? I was only given a pdf copy of the policy schedule. No hard copy on the policy terms was given! I have been renewing the annal travel insurance.

Fine print: You may request for a hardcopy if you need.

You will be surprise the "hidden clauses" when you file the claims.

This is not a pre-exisiting condition of illness/pregnancy! It did not specifically state Pregnancy cannot claim.

I will definitely not renew or purchase any other insurance policies with

Tokio Marine and Singcapital.

After this bad experience, I think there is no need to purchase travel insurance. Just buy flexible air tickets(can reschedule date) and paid a little extra for free cancellation(hotel). You can charge the full cost of your tickets or travel package to the credit card that provide free insurance. It should include Travel Accident, Overseas Emergency Medical and Assistance travel expenses.

Note: Make sure you have sufficient term policy and hospitalisation plan.

Had a trip cancellation lesson to share.

Me and wife had to return to SG from overseas vacation because my wife's sister passed away. We received the news on landing at destination.

When we enquired on travel claim, the insurer said they will not pay if the deceased had a pre-existing medical condition.

However, for our case insurer assessed cause was not pre-exisitng medical conditiion. However, they only compensated for the tour package part and not the airplane tickets. So, about $1500 was forfeited.

Later on enquiring at many insurers for new travel insurance, I discovered all the major insurers had this same crazy clause.

That is if one cancels trip due to someone ( not the insured ) passed away due to pre-exisiting condition, the compensation is zero.

↡ Advertisement

For travel insurance, I go with FWD which has given me excellent service so far. I have an annual travel insurance plan with them. Was hospitalized overseas on a business trip. From the time I submit my claim upon return and until successful claim.... 20 days!!!!! When I used to use AXA or NTUC, I don't even remember it was as fast.

If FWD keeps up with this good service, it can look forward to my business for many more years to come.

Honestly insurance companies don't want business from people like you who claims. They like those who buy travel insurance and do not claim. The latter group they welcome with open arms. For your case, if you keep making claims on every trip or alternate trips, surely they will up your insurance premium.

• Praise 1

Honestly insurance companies don't want business from people like you who claims. They like those who buy travel insurance and do not claim. The latter group they welcome with open arms. For your case, if you keep making claims on every trip or alternate trips, surely they will up your insurance premium.

Did I miss another post of his where he is always claiming insurance?

I am not sure where you are coming from so, I'm not going to jump at you - yet.

I am showing the speed of response to my claim, since some posters had mentioned it take months for their claims to come through with big name insurance companies. Not even travel insurance companies can control flight delays or cancellations etc.

Edited by Ravinged

For travel insurance, I go with FWD which has given me excellent service so far. I have an annual travel insurance plan with them. Was hospitalized overseas on a business trip. From the time I submit my claim upon return and until successful claim.... 20 days!!!!! When I used to use AXA or NTUC, I don't even remember it was as fast.

If FWD keeps up with this good service, it can look forward to my business for many more years to come.

FWD Singapore is a new player in local scene.  That's why customer service must be top notch.

I have claimed overseas car rental excess damage from my travel insurance with Sompo. They paid up the excess limit of $1,000 promptly once I submitted repair invoice from Budget Car Rental NZ.

I had a series of ding-dongs with Budget NZ disputing the repair costs apportioned that delayed my claim, past the last day for submission. Insurer Sompo understood and accepted reason for delay in claim.

Anyway I had an unhappy experience with Avis/Budget both on service and regarding the repairs. I have stopped using them in NZ and Australia, preferring to use their sister company Apex.   

Had a trip cancellation lesson to share.

Me and wife had to return to SG from overseas vacation because my wife's sister passed away. We received the news on landing at destination.

When we enquired on travel claim, the insurer said they will not pay if the deceased had a pre-existing medical condition.

However, for our case insurer assessed cause was not pre-exisitng medical conditiion. However, they only compensated for the tour package part and not the airplane tickets. So, about $1500 was forfeited.

Later on enquiring at many insurers for new travel insurance, I discovered all the major insurers had this same crazy clause.

That is if one cancels trip due to someone ( not the insured ) passed away due to pre-exisiting condition, the compensation is zero.

Thats how insurers make money ... buyers always at the disadvantage

Any comments on those free "comprehensive" travel insurance dangled packaged into credit benefits? Is this really a benefit good enough that we don't have to buy separate travel insurance when travelling? Of course, charge the air tickets to that card.

Any comments on those free "comprehensive" travel insurance dangled packaged into credit benefits? Is this really a benefit good enough that we don't have to buy separate travel insurance when travelling? Of course, charge the air tickets to that card.

had a look at this last year, found out that not many credit cards have auto travel insurance these days. well, at least the cards I carry mostly do not have travel insurance included.

and I think I read one that has it, travel insurance only activates when card is swiped at destination.

kinda troublesome so decided to just buy single trip instead and buy only where there is a sale / promo code offered.

• Praise 1

Your call whether to buy insurance or not. But its not good advice.

I know of someone that got into an accident in Thailand.

The young man did not buy travel insurance. The family forked out $200,000 to pay for hospital ICU charges and emergency air ambulance back to Singapore.

Personally, I lost an old camera during one of my trips. Surprised they reimbursed me $300.

I took out a travel insurance policy with Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore through Singcapital for my family. The policy holds valid for a period of 12 months and covers worldwide (TM Xplora Classic Family).

My family and I planned to travel to Japan for holiday. However, my wife experienced increase abdominal girth gradually and had heavy bleeding and two other bleeding earlier. She was referred for ultrasound pelvis (to investigate gynaecological tumour). It was diagnosed she is pregnancy and her expected date of pregnancy coincide with our traveling plan.

The attending consultant has certified she is unfit for travel.

Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore replied that
Section 16 (trip cancellation) “Pregnancy is not listed as one of the conditions". Tokio Marine Manager, Underwriting - Personal Lines (A&H) & Customer Service Centre replied "The above clauses are all stipulated in the policy terms and conditions (policy wordings) and Pregnancy is excluded for all sections of the policy except for Benefit 6 – Medical Expenses – Pregnancy Related Expenses." Citing Pregnancy not listed as one of the conditions" for trip cancellation.

Misrepresention??? I was only given a pdf copy of the policy schedule. No hard copy on the policy terms was given! I have been renewing the annal travel insurance.
Fine print: You may request for a hardcopy if you need.

You will be surprise the "hidden clauses" when you file the claims.

This is not a pre-exisiting condition of illness/pregnancy! It did not specifically state Pregnancy cannot claim.

I will definitely not renew or purchase any other insurance policies with
Tokio Marine and Singcapital.

After this bad experience, I think there is no need to purchase travel insurance. Just buy flexible air tickets(can reschedule date) and paid a little extra for free cancellation(hotel). You can charge the full cost of your tickets or travel package to the credit card that provide free insurance. It should include Travel Accident, Overseas Emergency Medical and Assistance travel expenses.

Note: Make sure you have sufficient term policy and hospitalisation plan.

• Praise 2

I always advocate buying travel insurance. Being a frequent business traveler and also from my past experience in the hotel industry, I have lost count of how many times I have to deal with individuals whom found themselves in a limbo by saving that few dollars on insurance. You can afford an air ticket costing $500 but you wanna scrimp on $30? This is what I call penny wise pound foolish.

I think in the last 6 months, we have also seen quite a few fund-raising activities going on stranded Singaporeans overseas - dead or alive. Think I'm cruel? If you did not buy insurance which would cover your evacuation, don't go around asking for donations. Sympathy is only meant for the genuine less fortunate, not misers.

• Praise 2

The young man did not buy travel insurance. The family forked out $200,000 to pay for hospital ICU charges and emergency air ambulance back to Singapore.

Personally, I lost an old camera during one of my trips. Surprised they reimbursed me $300.

Not forgetting that the family has to continue to pay for his medical cost in Singapore.

My cousin and his wife got into car accident in US few years back. 

Wife is seriously injured. 

The hospital charges, ICU charges and emergency air ambulance total cost

around $280,000 and insurance paid for everything.  [sweatdrop]

Luckily they bought travel insurance.

After the wife is back in Singapore, further medical cost is covered by her own hospitalisation plan and private insurance policy. 

Edited by Mahjong74

Did anyone remember about this explosion?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporean-among-those-injured-in-taiwan-water-park-blast-8265856

If not for Travel Insurance, I am not sure how much her parents had to fork out for medi evac from Taipei to SGH.  Since 50% of her body is burned, she requires special medical treatment the whole way including doctor & nurse.

So your company travel insurance covers your holiday?

I want to be your colleague.

Ai yo ... u must make me say it out .
↡ Advertisement