Indonesia: Going around in Jakarta

Kelpie

Coming to Jakarta? Wow! Major traffic jam here (Machet in local Indon terms). Over here everyone has the right of way and everyone wants to be part of the road. So much as such the roads get congested. It looks like a wireless network. There's two wheelers, Bajais (three wheelers), Grobaks (food carts) the norm cars and buses accomodating to the ongested roads here. Hehehe...I'd rather enjoy the scene from the passenger's seat, no intention of driving here as I don't want to get dents on my ride.

Been working here since March and enjoying the amazingly congested network positively. Agree upon Kilatz opinion about constant jams within Taman Anggrek (Orchid Gdn...in translation). But that's close to where I stay....Central Park! A hypped shopping centre in West Jakarta with local Singapore cuisine! There's Killiney's Kopitiam, No Signboard Seafood and Penang Bistro. For my daily groceries, I go to Carrefour at the basement.

For shopping on a budget with local price quoted, I'd go for Tanah Abang in the West. 12 storeys of necessities ranging from clothings to shoes to bags and all sorts. Prices are quoted in wholesale thus get a bargain if you buy more. Over in the North, there's Chempaka Mas which is similar to Tanah Abang but at a smaller scale. In the Central, there's Mangga Dua (Two Mangoes...in translation) and Block M. Similar concept just different location.

For easy access within Jakarta, try the TransJakarta a.k.a. Busway in local terms. Powered by CNG, these Korean-made Daewoo/Hyundai buses have got a special lane allocated for them and no other vehicle are allowed on their lanes (literally). These buses are the only way to get thru the congested roads.

↡ Advertisement

Pondok Indah Mall (PIM1 & 2) are like my second home [:p] when I'm in Jakarta... i guess they are the most complete mall in terms of all necessities.

I guess I got used to all the driving/congestion/motorbikes(aka mosquitoes or flies) there that I drive myself around....

Pondok Indah Mall (PIM1 & 2) are like my second home [:p] when I'm in Jakarta... i guess they are the most complete mall in terms of all necessities.

I guess I got used to all the driving/congestion/motorbikes(aka mosquitoes or flies) there that I drive myself around....

Pondok indah is also my choice shopping area. south Jakarta more 'Atas' a bit

Now there is a new mall just open : Gandaria City. Inside also have ACE hardware shop.

You can shop for all the hardware and car thingy to yr heart content..... :wub:

Jakarta is a stressful destination due to the traffic and security issues, it is just dinning, shopping and partying (this is good), just another big megacity with little tourist attractions. I rather go to Bali. Even Balipapan is better than Jakarta.

Jakarta is a stressful destination due to the traffic and security issues, it is just dinning, shopping and partying (this is good), just another big megacity with little tourist attractions. I rather go to Bali. Even Balipapan is better than Jakarta.

I think some people just love to dine, shop and party then... without bothering about sightseeing...if not they will definitely go elsewhere...? [;)]

I think some people just love to dine, shop and party then... without bothering about sightseeing...if not they will definitely go elsewhere...? [;)]

Dining is really good in Jakarta.

Sometimes, I am wondering, how could they afford the dining? The price is about the same in Singapore, or maybe 10% cheaper at most.

Perhaps, most are under company expenses.

Yeah.... A lot of the wine n dine is on company's expense.... Or else it's private bankers giving treats to their clients. Not sure whether is it still the case but when I was working in jakarta a couple years back, the weekday hotel rates is actually much higher than their weekend rates, a testament to the huge volume of business travelers coming in during the work week.

Pan Pacific hotel is within walking distance to Jalan Sabang, which is really packed at night for street food eg Pak Harry. There are also some other restaurants ard there as well such as bakmie.

If you want to go shopping, you can take Bluebird taksi (in indo writing) to Grand Indonesia or One Pacific Place.

Also, pick up some indo phrases if you are not fluent in it.

Traffic jams are getting worse, so be aware.

Hi all,

Have not been to Jakarta for quite sometimes. Most of the time, it was friends that bring me around.

This time round wanted to DIY and don't want to disturb them.

So where is the best area to stay (since I'm not driving)? in term of :

1. Ease of access to Shopping area [laugh]. (Not too far between city center and airport). Heard there is a 7Floor slide in a Hotel or Shopping centre.

2. Night Market :D . (For street food)

3. Places of interest. (Intend to go Bogor to visit Taman Safari) [cool].

4. Bandung (Wanted to give someone a surprise visit) :wub: .

Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards,

What I am saying is there are better places to wine, dine, party and shop, ie. Bangkok, KL, Shanghai, even Singapore. Why Jakarta with the terrible traffic jams, the horrible pollution, not to mention concerns over personal safety/security (it is not safe to walk from one building to another in some places, you need a car and driver just to get around, even for short distance). The night scene is probably more happening and permissive as compared to Singapore or KL, if you know where to look. I won't travel to Jakarta for leisure alone but that is just my view.

Edited by Voodooman

Should be spelled as Macet.

Coming to Jakarta? Wow! Major traffic jam here (Machet in local Indon terms). Over here everyone has the right of way and everyone wants to be part of the road. So much as such the roads get congested. It looks like a wireless network. There's two wheelers, Bajais (three wheelers), Grobaks (food carts) the norm cars and buses accomodating to the ongested roads here. Hehehe...I'd rather enjoy the scene from the passenger's seat, no intention of driving here as I don't want to get dents on my ride.

Been working here since March and enjoying the amazingly congested network positively. Agree upon Kilatz opinion about constant jams within Taman Anggrek (Orchid Gdn...in translation). But that's close to where I stay....Central Park! A hypped shopping centre in West Jakarta with local Singapore cuisine! There's Killiney's Kopitiam, No Signboard Seafood and Penang Bistro. For my daily groceries, I go to Carrefour at the basement.

For shopping on a budget with local price quoted, I'd go for Tanah Abang in the West. 12 storeys of necessities ranging from clothings to shoes to bags and all sorts. Prices are quoted in wholesale thus get a bargain if you buy more. Over in the North, there's Chempaka Mas which is similar to Tanah Abang but at a smaller scale. In the Central, there's Mangga Dua (Two Mangoes...in translation) and Block M. Similar concept just different location.

For easy access within Jakarta, try the TransJakarta a.k.a. Busway in local terms. Powered by CNG, these Korean-made Daewoo/Hyundai buses have got a special lane allocated for them and no other vehicle are allowed on their lanes (literally). These buses are the only way to get thru the congested roads.

Bro , just rent a car with driver, will save you all the stress.

i would go for the c class cab rental. including driver, petrol, parking, i think about usd100 only for 12hours.

worth it.

The shopping mall with 7floor slide is called FX mall, near Sultan hotel

If u happen to be at FX mall, go to the pub Minus 2 and try their minus 2 degree C at the tap beer. Really Nice.

What I am saying is there are better places to wine, dine, party and shop, ie. Bangkok, KL, Shanghai, even Singapore. Why Jakarta with the terrible traffic jams, the horrible pollution, not to mention concerns over personal safety/security (it is not safe to walk from one building to another in some places, you need a car and driver just to get around, even for short distance). The night scene is probably more happening and permissive as compared to Singapore or KL, if you know where to look. I won't travel to Jakarta for leisure alone but that is just my view.

Yeah some areas...in fact you hear a lot of places in Jakarta are not too safe especially for ladies walking alone at night. But I guess its relative to where one is. There is crime everywhere in every society...lucky for me I have never gotten mugged. Maybe because I'm nearly twice the height and size of the average Indonesian [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

In fact, I have thwarted an attempt to pickpocket me in Bangkok and a drug addict tried to rob me with a pocket knife in KL! Its fortunate that he is not the desperately desperate type as he is so stoned that i just pushed him flat on his back and walked off.

And yes the night scene is very happening if one knows the right people and know the right places to go to :D :D I guess many people will be surprised. Jakarta night life is not as "docile" as it seems. I love going to Jakarta...because the food is good and cheap (not the high end or mall restaurants) if you know where to go to. I paid SG60 for 10 persons' lavish seafood dinner... the hotels are cheap ( I paid less than SG100 for a room at the Sari Pan Pacific).

The jams are manageable if one knows what time to travel and the shortcuts through the neighborhood. The airfare is cheap too (EXCEPT SQ and Garuda) with many airlines servicing the route.

And oh one of the bros mentioned Taksi Bluebird...you can also try Taksi Express (white cabs). They are getting better too. Most of the other taxis are rather dubious (meter and route taken) so I'd avoid unless one are a local.

Yeah some areas...in fact you hear a lot of places in Jakarta are not too safe especially for ladies walking alone at night. But I guess its relative to where one is. There is crime everywhere in every society...lucky for me I have never gotten mugged. Maybe because I'm nearly twice the height and size of the average Indonesian [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

In fact, I have thwarted an attempt to pickpocket me in Bangkok and a drug addict tried to rob me with a pocket knife in KL! Its fortunate that he is not the desperately desperate type as he is so stoned that i just pushed him flat on his back and walked off.

And yes the night scene is very happening if one knows the right people and know the right places to go to :D :D I guess many people will be surprised. Jakarta night life is not as "docile" as it seems. I love going to Jakarta...because the food is good and cheap (not the high end or mall restaurants) if you know where to go to. I paid SG60 for 10 persons' lavish seafood dinner... the hotels are cheap ( I paid less than SG100 for a room at the Sari Pan Pacific).

The jams are manageable if one knows what time to travel and the shortcuts through the neighborhood. The airfare is cheap too (EXCEPT SQ and Garuda) with many airlines servicing the route.

And oh one of the bros mentioned Taksi Bluebird...you can also try Taksi Express (white cabs). They are getting better too. Most of the other taxis are rather dubious (meter and route taken) so I'd avoid unless one are a local.

Crime is everywhere. Most Singaporean felt deeply insecured outside of the Merlion city. Slashing crimes already happened here with 3 consecutive cases, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Panjang and Downtown East. So where is next? Orchard Road har? [laugh]

There is also a Sliver Bird right (A Bluebird's company)? I've been told to stick to the Bluebird and nothing else. Bluebird is supposedly the most reputable and only go by the meter.

I remembered walking with family members from one shopping centre to another but didn't feel that the environment is that threatening as if we are walking on the streets of South Africa leh.

Regards,

I have 2 choices now...whether to pick Mercure Ancol or the Novotel at Mangga Dua. A friend is living in Pluit and offers to drive me around. He told me these places are just nearby his place. He also told me the nearest shopping centre at Pluit is the "Mega Mall". Worth to visit?

So which is more convenient for him to drive me around to places like Puncak (Taman Safari), Bandung (Factory outlets) and Ancol (Seaworld) from the 2 mentioned hotels?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

I have 2 choices now...whether to pick Mercure Ancol or the Novotel at Mangga Dua. A friend is living in Pluit and offers to drive me around. He told me these places are just nearby his place. He also told me the nearest shopping centre at Pluit is the "Mega Mall". Worth to visit?

So which is more convenient for him to drive me around to places like Puncak (Taman Safari), Bandung (Factory outlets) and Ancol (Seaworld) from the 2 mentioned hotels?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Dude...

Both are ok. I would prefer Novotel as I have never stayed there before haha! [:p] And I think Novotel's location should be more "happening" as its nearer the malls. If your friend is picking you up, its better to ask him which hotel is more convenient for him.

Malls in Jakarta are generally the same... falls in 3 categories...cheap run down malls (old areas), normal malls (Plaza Senayan, PIM) and upmarket malls (Pacific Plaza etc). Megamall Pluit falls in the middle category.

Its worth a visit if you have nothing else to do. If you have specific things to get, your local friend would be able to recommend the better places. If you can, do have lunch/dinner at Pacific Place...its a new upmarket mall that has a couple of good eating spots at the upper floors. If you have/bring kids, they will go crazy at Kidzania. Its a "theme park" for kids. After bringing my niece there, I was cursing and swearing that the concept wasn't thought of when I was growing up [bigcry] [bigcry] Its a really fun place for kids.

Taman Safari is nearer... but basically that's it...you go to the park, drive through the park and see the animals without getting out your car...and then buy souvenirs. Bandung is further but its a whole day affair...buy and buy and buy. [:p] [:p] [:p]

The seaworld is basically the same as our underwater world...

Should be spelled as Macet.

Sorry dude! Trying out a mis-spelt word "macet" (traffic congestion or traffic jam in local Indon terms). I've heard of good night life here. I'm more as a hermit hibernating @ home straight from work & not tried anything "sensational" yet-to-date. Any suggestions?

I think I got banned from the local Ojek Organisation liaoz.... :wacko: I think they posted in their local Ojek Forum to lookout for me and avoid me as their pillion. Hehehe...Happened recently. The Ojek rider was a wacko and tried doing some stunts laughing histerically (cornering at high speed and such) with me in pillion. Hmmm...so this fella trying to be funny with me ya? The next corner I pulled the bike further down as he negotiated the bend. His B**ls shrunk! (Don't worry, did this cornerings back in SG once in awhile....I'm a biker too lah...know my limits of both machine and rider.) He didn't mess up with me till destination. His farewell statement as I alight "Bapak pembalap motor speda ya? Maaf ya!" (Are you also a freak on two-wheels too? I'm sorry for the earlier scare.) Since then, I got no Ojek offers anymore...they seemed to be "taken" somehow.

(Ojek is the local Indon kapcai riders who offer pirate-taxi service on their two-wheels.) [wave]

Crime is everywhere. Most Singaporean felt deeply insecured outside of the Merlion city. Slashing crimes already happened here with 3 consecutive cases, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Panjang and Downtown East. So where is next? Orchard Road har? [laugh]

There is also a Sliver Bird right (A Bluebird's company)? I've been told to stick to the Bluebird and nothing else. Bluebird is supposedly the most reputable and only go by the meter.

I remembered walking with family members from one shopping centre to another but didn't feel that the environment is that threatening as if we are walking on the streets of South Africa leh.

Regards,

Yes same company. silver bird is the limosine category

should take the silverbird C class. Bluebirds are mostly toyota vios, not so comfy.

↡ Advertisement