Smoking disc brakes

Mydotcom

Hi all,

I'd just changed my 2 front wheel's brake rotor and brake pads 2 weeks ago.

Encountered something weird today... Was travelling along ECP when I suddenly needs to jam brake (Not e-brake kind of jam brake, but the step hard on brake kind of jame brake). I can hear a sharp screeching sound, but car managed to slowed down as per expected.

When I reached the carpark shortly after that, I realised that 1 of my front wheel has smoke coming out of it.

could it be due to the semi-hard braking I just did ?

Or could it be something more ? [knife]

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

I'd just changed my 2 front wheel's brake rotor and brake pads 2 weeks ago.

Encountered something weird today... Was travelling along ECP when I suddenly needs to jam brake (Not e-brake kind of jam brake, but the step hard on brake kind of jame brake). I can hear a sharp screeching sound, but car managed to slowed down as per expected.

When I reached the carpark shortly after that, I realised that 1 of my front wheel has smoke coming out of it.

could it be due to the semi-hard braking I just did ?

Or could it be something more ? [knife]

No mention brand/model of car

No mention mileage travelled by car after brake repair

No mention travelling speed

No mention if road wet while braking

Have another Mechanic check your car

Sorry... seems like i missed out alot of info.

I'm driving a 4 yrs old Nissan Latio, Road was dry at that time (was on Benjamin Sheares Bridge towards Tuas direction downslope section). I only noticed the smoke after I parked, which is about 3 mins after I stepped hard on brake. Speed I reckon is around 80-90km/h, braked till ard 30-40 km/h.

My old brake rotor was 'spoilt', resulting in the steering wheel vibrating whenever i step on brakes. That's why I need to change it together with the brake pad. Mileage after changing is ard 1000km.

"I can hear a sharp screeching sound"

In all the recent cars with ABS i drove.....there is no tyre screeching sound when hard braking.

The screeching sound must come from your rotor rubbing against pad. better check properly!

I'm driving a 4 yrs old Nissan Latio, Road was dry at that time (was on Benjamin Sheares Bridge towards Tuas direction downslope section). I only noticed the smoke after I parked, which is about 3 mins after I stepped hard on brake. Speed I reckon is around 80-90km/h, braked till ard 30-40 km/h.

My old brake rotor was 'spoilt', resulting in the steering wheel vibrating whenever i step on brakes. That's why I need to change it together with the brake pad. Mileage after changing is ard 1000km.

Err... brake rotor seldom spoilt... could be your brake pads in the first place.

Anyway first time i heard Latio brake got smoke...

Sound like yr dise wraps. could happen when its still hot n water comes into contact. Can skim the rotor aka level it back, but can be done only once on the rotor.

replies sounds like bad news.... :(

guess i'll probably send it back to tan chong for servicing + checkup

get a 3rd party mechanic for opinion

note it down

then head for tan chong

cause usually agents will say 'its like that one'

From this view,most likely your brake calipers are jammed,your old brake rotor 'overheated' so it warp & cause vibration....your mechanic never checks your brake calipers..

Brake rotors seldom need to replace one, if I am not wrong? How old is your car?

this really depends on the brake pad compound.

↡ Advertisement