Singtel Fiber Broadband (NGBN)

Jman888

i know there was a brief discussion here before but couldn't find the thread.

I am already with SNBB but quite fedup with the problem that i have with the ADSL and analog lan phone which i think was due to the old estate. Hence i don't mind taking up the new exstream package.

however i would like to know how messy is the cable would be like? current i am using 4 homeplugs, 1 for mio tv and in 2 rooms which is quite neat. but i heard the router singtel fiber use is not compatible with the homeplug, and the N wifi router is good enough for all my need (about 6-7 devices connect to internet + mio tv).

Any kind soul who has sign up for this service can advice me that what they claim is true?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

i read from the hwz forums that the optic fibre not eally fantastic leh

still got lag and high ping for gamers etc....

and the speeds are throttled for international sites and BT

i am not into gaming, with additional $5 a month, i think i will just go for it [rolleyes]

the old phone socket is giving a lot of problem lately (or could it be done on purpose [lipsrsealed] )

Noticed that for these new fiber plans (or whatever it is called), the speed is only v v fast for within Singapore. The speed outside of SG is still at the old speeds as per the current plans.

But I thought most internet surfing occur outside of sg?

yes most upstreams are away from sg and for mio, i am super fedup and will cancel anytime once my contract is up together wif singnet BB... been their BB customer dun noe since which era but still charging me as per normal and plus the mio home device sux big time...

• Praise 1

Starhub selected my family for a free 3months trial. The speed for surfing net stream videos increased, but not very noticeable. Gaming performance increase as well, now I can download many things at once using a download manager and game without any lag.

Then again, I think if you are using it to surf net, stick to the normal ones will do. My actual maximum download speed downloading videos from rapidshare(premium account) was 1.5-2mbps increase to 2-10mbps. Yes, you never see wrong, its 10MB per second during non peak hours.

i know there was a brief discussion here before but couldn't find the thread.

I am already with SNBB but quite fedup with the problem that i have with the ADSL and analog lan phone which i think was due to the old estate. Hence i don't mind taking up the new exstream package.

however i would like to know how messy is the cable would be like? current i am using 4 homeplugs, 1 for mio tv and in 2 rooms which is quite neat. but i heard the router singtel fiber use is not compatible with the homeplug, and the N wifi router is good enough for all my need (about 6-7 devices connect to internet + mio tv).

Any kind soul who has sign up for this service can advice me that what they claim is true?

Thanks!

Bro, which plan are you looking at? Singtel only got 1 or 2 choices for fibre optic iirc, from my post above, though its from starhub, the plan is 100MBPS.

• Praise 1

Bro, which plan are you looking at? Singtel only got 1 or 2 choices for fibre optic iirc, from my post above, though its from starhub, the plan is 100MBPS.

Singtel has 4-5 plans but i am opting for the lowest one that cost $64.90.

Starhub selected my family for a free 3months trial. The speed for surfing net stream videos increased, but not very noticeable. Gaming performance increase as well, now I can download many things at once using a download manager and game without any lag.

Then again, I think if you are using it to surf net, stick to the normal ones will do. My actual maximum download speed downloading videos from rapidshare(premium account) was 1.5-2mbps increase to 2-10mbps. Yes, you never see wrong, its 10MB per second during non peak hours.

the current set up was fine but the ADSL is becoming less stable which according to the technician is the modem or the line problem.

They are coming to fix/change the modem tomorrow and ultimately if the old phone socket is the problem, then probably good to change to fiber and leave the phone socket for phone :D

Oh I see, think they introduced more, cause I was reading plans it offers when FO first started in the previous IT fair. Can I know how fast is the lowest plan? Either way, I think it will be able to increase efficiency for you as you got many things tapping onto your bandwidth.

the current set up was fine but the ADSL is becoming less stable which according to the technician is the modem or the line problem.

They are coming to fix/change the modem tomorrow and ultimately if the old phone socket is the problem, then probably good to change to fiber and leave the phone socket for phone :D

is your hardware able to handle the speed? if not, no use de..... anyway a ST techician once told me... 10mbps is more or less the optimal speed for bb

Oh I see, think they introduced more, cause I was reading plans it offers when FO first started in the previous IT fair. Can I know how fast is the lowest plan? Either way, I think it will be able to increase efficiency for you as you got many things tapping onto your bandwidth.

i still experience lagging on my ps 3 at 15mbps with wired connection

i still experience lagging on my ps 3 at 15mbps with wired connection

15mbps is FO speed? I thought the lowest for FO was 25mbps. Your ps3 is play in local or overseas servers?

All systems have their problems pertaining to connections. The important thing about this setup is the installation and termination of the cables itself(which is done by the contractors). As the cables are brittle, it it cannot be bend too much and the fiber ends must be polished to achieved a certain grade whereby light does not distort too much.

but FiberOptics is a different system, which uses light speed instead of the conventional ADSL. By changing to F/O, your Internet will be ready for the future Internet.

For $70... its worth it as you can have uninterrupted and constant feeds in your home networks.

• Praise 1

lowest is 50 down and 15 up.

I still prefer to have the homeplug in each room, but the new modem does not support homeplug according to them, duno they are trying to con me [rolleyes]

is your hardware able to handle the speed? if not, no use de..... anyway a ST techician once told me... 10mbps is more or less the optimal speed for bb

the speed is fine for current 10mbps for all my devices, it is the in-coming call that freeze, hang all the devices <_<

we choose local as and when is possible.. what is FO? F*ck Off? [laugh]

FO is fibre optic loh. [laugh] Time to upgrade to FO for lag free! But sometimes it may be server's problem and not yours leh.

↡ Advertisement