Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic | 25 praises

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

Jkcs
  • Jkcs
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

of late my auto transmission car is having difficulties shifting from P to D mode, I have fully depressed the brake pedal before changing the mode but still the shifting is hard. it couldn't be caused by the ATF as it was changed on Sept this year. (or is it the car is not fully warmed up? I usually drive off after 2-3 mins of starting up)

While on the road, the changing of gear is not a problem as it does have unusual symptoms

I know i should bring to a ws for advice.. but still I would like to seek views from some gurus here.

thnks in advance..

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Xers007
  • Premium member
    Xers007
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Sometimes when i shift from P to R... there will be this big jerk and thug sound... wondering what is this problem.. maybe should flush the ATF...

Back to the same old days...

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

Karebu
  • Karebu
    5th Gear
    Author Image

what car?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Ithunk
  • Ithunk
    Supercharged
    Author Image

of late my auto transmission car is having difficulties shifting from P to D mode, I have fully depressed the brake pedal before changing the mode but still the shifting is hard. it couldn't be caused by the ATF as it was changed on Sept this year. (or is it the car is not fully warmed up? I usually drive off after 2-3 mins of starting up)

While on the road, the changing of gear is not a problem as it does have unusual symptoms

I know i should bring to a ws for advice.. but still I would like to seek views from some gurus here.

thnks in advance..

use more strength? laugh.gif

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Acewin
  • Acewin
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

thnks in advance..

I also have this problem but it is only in the morning after park overnite but I always warm up engine till the warmup light gone. When in P mode to shift to R mode then N mode then to D mode, always will encounter this problem. There is always a "Thug" sound plus some jerk. Anyone encounter this or is this norm?

My ride is 1 year old only.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

PErhaps the ATF needs a flush

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

Friendstar
  • Friendstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Is there a typo?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Is there a typo?

yah lar...perhaps he bring it from D4 to D3 and thus ok

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

Zyrofillica
  • Premium member
    Zyrofillica
    6th Gear
    Author Image

are u on a slope or is your lot slightly inclined? If u park on a slight gradient and u put to P before pulling handbrake, then u will definitely get the hard shifting problem as mentioned as your gear lock is holding the weight of the car.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Jkcs
  • Jkcs
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Karebu: Kia Rio 06 model. does car make matters? :P

Ithunk: cannot lah, the shifter break then I 'chiam'... means more $$ gone

Acewin: what model is your ride? got warmup light somemore.. when i forcefully change the mode, my car also give similiar sound as yours..

sorry I don't know how to use the multi-quote..

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

Karebu
  • Karebu
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Acewin: what model is your ride? got warmup light somemore.. when i forcefully change the mode, my car also give similiar sound as yours..

yes. there are certain models that are notorious or have some form of recalls.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Ithunk
  • Ithunk
    Supercharged
    Author Image

LOL laugh.gif ya better dun....shift carefully i think just check the trans fluid first

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

Copen
  • Copen
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Try this for your auto gearbox.

After reversing, DON'T shift to P, instead shift to N. And then one smooth go to P without engaging R. This should solve a lot of thugs and jerks. Try it!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Forrestcat
  • Premium member
    Forrestcat
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Sometimes when i shift from P to R... there will be this big jerk and thug sound... wondering what is this problem.. maybe should flush the ATF...

Hi bro, i'm also having this problem. Sometimes there will this "thug" sound when Shifting from P to R.
However, no big jerk for my case, only the sound.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

Iantelinside
  • Iantelinside
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I get it too. Likewise, I've noticed that it happens when the engine isn't warmed-up (though my car doesn't have a 'warm-up' indicator). After I've turned on the engine, I go from P to R, wait 1 sec, then R to N and N to D (also waiting 1 sec between shifts). That seems to make the "thug" sound a rare occurrence.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Car_man
  • Premium member
    Car_man
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Mine also have this issue but i confirm that the carpark lot is either unbalance or slope. If i park on a flat lot,no issue.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

it may be the solenoid as they are the one in charge of shifting when the electrical signals come to them.
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Jkcs
  • Jkcs
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

wah... so many people have this problem.. so this is a common issue for AT cars...

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Aloysiusliew
  • Aloysiusliew
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

My AT drive also have a slight jerk after moving off. Usually the jerk is from gear 1 to gear 2 and this only happen after when park overnight.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Xers007
  • Premium member
    Xers007
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Try this for your auto gearbox.

After reversing, DON'T shift to P, instead shift to N. And then one smooth go to P without engaging R. This should solve a lot of thugs and jerks. Try it!

thanks will try this...

Back to the same old days...

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

Tags: Hard, shift, from, times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users