Hard to shift from P to D at times

Jkcs

Neutral Newbie

of late my auto transmission car is having difficulties shifting from P to D mode, I have fully depressed the brake pedal before changing the mode but still the shifting is hard. it couldn't be caused by the ATF as it was changed on Sept this year. (or is it the car is not fully warmed up? I usually drive off after 2-3 mins of starting up)

While on the road, the changing of gear is not a problem as it does have unusual symptoms

I know i should bring to a ws for advice.. but still I would like to seek views from some gurus here.

thnks in advance..

↡ Advertisement

Sometimes when i shift from P to R... there will be this big jerk and thug sound... wondering what is this problem.. maybe should flush the ATF...

of late my auto transmission car is having difficulties shifting from P to D mode, I have fully depressed the brake pedal before changing the mode but still the shifting is hard. it couldn't be caused by the ATF as it was changed on Sept this year. (or is it the car is not fully warmed up? I usually drive off after 2-3 mins of starting up)

While on the road, the changing of gear is not a problem as it does have unusual symptoms

I know i should bring to a ws for advice.. but still I would like to seek views from some gurus here.

thnks in advance..

use more strength? [laugh]

thnks in advance..

I also have this problem but it is only in the morning after park overnite but I always warm up engine till the warmup light gone. When in P mode to shift to R mode then N mode then to D mode, always will encounter this problem. There is always a "Thug" sound plus some jerk. Anyone encounter this or is this norm?

My ride is 1 year old only.

are u on a slope or is your lot slightly inclined? If u park on a slight gradient and u put to P before pulling handbrake, then u will definitely get the hard shifting problem as mentioned as your gear lock is holding the weight of the car.

Neutral Newbie

@Karebu: Kia Rio 06 model. does car make matters? :P

@ithunk: cannot lah, the shifter break then I 'chiam'... means more $$ gone

@Acewin: what model is your ride? got warmup light somemore.. when i forcefully change the mode, my car also give similiar sound as yours..

sorry I don't know how to use the multi-quote..

@Acewin: what model is your ride? got warmup light somemore.. when i forcefully change the mode, my car also give similiar sound as yours..

yes. there are certain models that are notorious or have some form of recalls.

LOL [laugh] ya better dun....shift carefully i think just check the trans fluid first

Try this for your auto gearbox.

After reversing, DON'T shift to P, instead shift to N. And then one smooth go to P without engaging R. This should solve a lot of thugs and jerks. Try it!

Sometimes when i shift from P to R... there will be this big jerk and thug sound... wondering what is this problem.. maybe should flush the ATF...

Hi bro, i'm also having this problem. Sometimes there will this "thug" sound when Shifting from P to R.

However, no big jerk for my case, only the sound.

I get it too. Likewise, I've noticed that it happens when the engine isn't warmed-up (though my car doesn't have a 'warm-up' indicator). After I've turned on the engine, I go from P to R, wait 1 sec, then R to N and N to D (also waiting 1 sec between shifts). That seems to make the "thug" sound a rare occurrence.

Neutral Newbie

wah... so many people have this problem.. so this is a common issue for AT cars...

↡ Advertisement