Conditions of Singapore roads....

Rastaman01

Neutral Newbie

I don't know about you guys, but I rate SG roads pretty highly compared to other first world countries. The trees are pruned, the signs are clear...of course there are some potholes but as Marvelicious says it is getting more congested.

Naming a few countries I've driven in, like Australia, US and New Zealand....SG roads not bad...not Germany autobahn good, but certainly not as bad worthy of the complaints I read.

I don't know about you guys, but I rate SG roads pretty highly compared to other first world countries. The trees are pruned, the signs are clear...of course there are some potholes but as Marvelicious says it is getting more congested.

Naming a few countries I've driven in, like Australia, US and New Zealand....SG roads not bad...not Germany autobahn good, but certainly not as bad worthy of the complaints I read.

Do u know how much road tax one is paying in Australia, US or New Zealand vs ours here? I used to study in OZ. My 3 litre Camry, 2.2L Celica only attracts annual road tax of A$200++ each VS my 2.5L WRX in SG paying a whopping S$1750!!! How to compare?

Those roads which are paved after road works are done are bumpy. Can see that they are uneven with the surface of the original road. I always avoid stretches of road when I see them. I wonder if they should pave the whole road together instead of just the part where piping works are done.

Neutral Newbie

Do u know how much road tax one is paying in Australia, US or New Zealand vs ours here? I used to study in OZ. My 3 litre Camry, 2.2L Celica only attracts annual road tax of A$200++ each VS my 2.5L WRX in SG paying a whopping S$1750!!! How to compare?

Yes, I surely do know...I'm currently living in Oz and have been more than 25 years...I also worked as an expat in SG for a number of years and owned a car whilst there - a Corolla Altis 1.8

Do you know how much taxes are collected on the whole in Australia compared to Singapore? there is the higher income tax, capital gains, carbon tax, medical levies, flood and draught assistance, which is all summed to form a federal budget then redistributed for things such as road upgrades, new infrstructure builds like bridges and tunnels.

It's not a case of car tax collected is used for car related expenditure, etc. So, COE aside as this is in essense a tool to regulate the number of vehicles on the road, comparing how much better the general condition of roads between these countries still stand taking into account road tax + other taxes.

Supersonic

Those roads which are paved after road works are done are bumpy. Can see that they are uneven with the surface of the original road. I always avoid stretches of road when I see them. I wonder if they should pave the whole road together instead of just the part where piping works are done.

I noticed they pave only the affected area, that's why the road is always uneven and bumpy. Cause dont think they will do a good job.

That's why you see these paved roads are mostly travelled by lorries and trucks where they don't bother about the road conditions. Taxis too..

There shouldn't even be any farking trees or bushes by road sides. They are a menace and block drivers' views of oncoming traffic!

Yes, I surely do know...I'm currently living in Oz and have been more than 25 years...I also worked as an expat in SG for a number of years and owned a car whilst there - a Corolla Altis 1.8

Do you know how much taxes are collected on the whole in Australia compared to Singapore? there is the higher income tax, capital gains, carbon tax, medical levies, flood and draught assistance, which is all summed to form a federal budget then redistributed for things such as road upgrades, new infrstructure builds like bridges and tunnels.

It's not a case of car tax collected is used for car related expenditure, etc. So, COE aside as this is in essense a tool to regulate the number of vehicles on the road, comparing how much better the general condition of roads between these countries still stand taking into account road tax + other taxes.

Obviously you don't know about the many layers of indirect taxes milked from Singaporeans.

Neutral Newbie

Obviously you don't know about the many layers of indirect taxes milked from Singaporeans.

weak leg to stand on as this still rings true....

http://www.kpmg.com/sg/en/pressroom/pages/pr20100329.aspx

Are you saying indirect taxes are unique to Singapore? Cos they certainly are not, and favourably at that.

I think this topic is trekking off tangent here. I'm not saying Singapore roads are perfect or rank amongst the best globally, but they are pretty good relative to expectations of some other countries.

Hypersonic

There shouldn't even be any farking trees or bushes by road sides. They are a menace and block drivers' views of oncoming traffic!

Not to mention the trees can fall during heavy rainfall. Those things are like weapons ready to do the act of God -_-

Neutral Newbie

hey bro, not saying there should be or that I like them...but it is better to have them pruned than getting out of hand, then they REALLY become a menace and block views. I just thinking it's shite the timing they choose to prune on weekends clogging up expressways.

midweek after midnight would be my vote.

Not to mention the trees can fall during heavy rainfall. Those things are like weapons ready to do the act of God -_-

Act of god, planted under the orders of somebody... garden city indeed! [knife]

hey bro, not saying there should be or that I like them...but it is better to have them pruned than getting out of hand, then they REALLY become a menace and block views. I just thinking it's shite the timing they choose to prune on weekends clogging up expressways.

midweek after midnight would be my vote.

They are already a menace even if pruning is not required. You drove in Singapore before, think of how many times your view was blocked by a tree or bush and you had to risk your car and life to inch forward just to see if the traffic is clear?? [knife]

(edited)

I feel that the condition of roads in SG has deteriorated over time and they are not remaking/maintaining them at same quality/frequent enough.

Edited by Tarmac

I feel that the condition of roads in SG has deteriorated over time and they are not remaking/maintaining them at same quality/frequent enough.

The deterioration is largely due to the usage of recycled material for the asphalt. That's what I feel.

Has been like that for the past few years, lots of constructions,

Maybe Singtel/SH/M1 lay cable, patch up then Singapore Power lay cable for new buildings, then have gas and water pipes.

MRT road diversion to dig tunnel, then patch up. LTA build drains etc

Heavy constructions vehicles plying roads, more vehicular traffics.

Many times it is due to the poor quality of patching up. Then the final repaving took bloody long time, leaving all the bumps still there. Some are even in CBD districts. I remember a stretch was right outside the parliament for at least a month.

What a shame on the quality of works now.

But as road users we should feedback to LTA, as they may not be able to inspect all the roads all the time

The deterioration is largely due to the usage of recycled material for the asphalt. That's what I feel.

we must trust them to do their work properly as they are the expert on it.

:D

↡ Advertisement