Conditions of Singapore roads....

Rastaman01

Turbocharged

Our standard is not high. More like the contractors are substandard. Go take a drive on the semi-expressway from Pasir Panjang to Keppel. Lots of potholes. I was there yesterday and luckily traffic wasn't heavy and I managed to drive round all of them.

not contractor substandard.. its the price they paid for in the contract.

one example..

company A is 'okay' with usual office hour support vs

company B that demands 24x7, 1 hour response and 2 hour resolution support. any deviation is liable for penalties.

who pays more and who gets 'better' coverage and service?

but of course, if both companies paid the same, then the procurement guy in company A deserves to be fired. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Singapore roads already very good lah....

Try bangkok, jakarta, new delhi, and manila...

We should compare Singapore road to other first world countries, not third world countries which the PAP likes to do.

Singapore road is too bumpy and even and even the expressway have small potholes. Also, have a lot of metal covers on the roads which is not even with the road surface, causing much bumpiness. Compared to road in the cities in country like USA, Japan, Germany, etc, we are so far behind.

Not to mentioned, we pay so much tax as well. Where did the taxes goes?

I also realised that the backfilling these days are really poor.

Another problem is the way they patch. Say they cut out a strip on a lane to put cables. When done, they should patch back the lane and not just the strip! If they just patch the strip, that will create a long bump within the lane itself. Those who pass through Thomson road towards marymount mount road should know...the current lane 3 backfilling is horrible...it used to be a nice smooth lane.

There are also many roads that are backfilled this way.....just a strip within the lane causing unevenness within the lane

Doesn't the authorities inspect the back filling before the contractor is allowed to leave?

Someone should really look into this before our roads become those in some Msia towns.

I know what you are referring to. Those black strip patches on the road. Makes your ride really bumpy. Worse still if you are on coils. I always avoided driving on those stretches and cut in when the patches ended.

I also realised that the backfilling these days are really poor.

Another problem is the way they patch. Say they cut out a strip on a lane to put cables. When done, they should patch back the lane and not just the strip! If they just patch the strip, that will create a long bump within the lane itself. Those who pass through Thomson road towards marymount mount road should know...the current lane 3 backfilling is horrible...it used to be a nice smooth lane.

There are also many roads that are backfilled this way.....just a strip within the lane causing unevenness within the lane

Doesn't the authorities inspect the back filling before the contractor is allowed to leave?

Someone should really look into this before our roads become those in some Msia towns.

LTA manpower shortage lah, still have to standby on weekend and PH just in case MRT breaksdown, where got enough pple and time to inspect road?

I believe the tolerant level at LTA should be very high, that's why they can tolerant the uneveness and pothole on our roads. As i have feedback to them once on one road about the uneveness, they told me they would not mend the road cause according to their tolerant level, this is very very minor. -_-

So after taking effort and time to feedback to LTA, they seems to indicate we are too demanding on the level of smoothness for the road.

I think it's ok because since F1 cars can race on our roads the standards must be the highest among international standards. But wait...think there are some feedback about the F1 circuits too.

Supersonic

Then after job done, realised its like sh-t, they will blacklist the contractor, and find the next lowest bid. [rolleyes]

Blacklisted contractor change name and come back again with lowest bid. :D

Supersonic
(edited)

So after taking effort and time to feedback to LTA, they seems to indicate we are too demanding on the level of smoothness for the road.

I think it's ok because since F1 cars can race on our roads the standards must be the highest among international standards. But wait...think there are some feedback about the F1 circuits too.

Yeah, we are demanding too much for a smooth road.

We should just let all the roads rot and be riddled with potholes like any third world country and accept it. [laugh]

Broken roads will eliminate the need for TP to catch speeding, so less TP needed.

Speed drop will also enable LTA to increase ERP charges. Win-win situation.

Edited by Kb27

(edited)

We should compare Singapore road to other first world countries, not third world countries which the PAP likes to do.

Singapore road is too bumpy and even and even the expressway have small potholes. Also, have a lot of metal covers on the roads which is not even with the road surface, causing much bumpiness. Compared to road in the cities in country like USA, Japan, Germany, etc, we are so far behind.

Exactly!!! We are paying the biggest road taxes on earth to maintain roads on the smallest country in the universe. Like I've said earlier, this is unacceptable!!!!!

Edited by Aaronlkl

(edited)

This one I think I can help to answer

Build roads, dig Mrt tunnels(plenty of them) new highways, pay off those who need to shift because of new expressway....

But not much on repairing road surface.

Edited by Atonchia

Supersonic

You are right, i remember the LTA officer who replied my feedback seems to hint me that you cannot expect smooth road, there are sure to have some uneveness and hole on the road. LTA stand seems to indicate that they only repair/mend the road only if there is a big hole on the road. -_-

I don't know about you guys, but I rate SG roads pretty highly compared to other first world countries. The trees are pruned, the signs are clear...of course there are some potholes but as Marvelicious says it is getting more congested.

Naming a few countries I've driven in, like Australia, US and New Zealand....SG roads not bad...not Germany autobahn good, but certainly not as bad worthy of the complaints I read.

Roads = Roads (LTA)

Trees = Trees (Nparks)

We are discussing the conditions of roads, u talk about scenery and trees being well pruned? [grin]

Roads = Roads (LTA)

Trees = Trees (Nparks)

We are discussing the conditions of roads, u talk about scenery and trees being well pruned? [grin]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] tree roots affect roads dah

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] tree roots affect roads dah

I dun N Parks pruning the roots leh.. maybe they are underground so cannot see... no wonder MRT sometimes jam... cos they pruning roots! [thumbsup]

Ah neh kwan I also wanna talk about indirect factors.. San Francisco the temperature very naise... Kimochi!!!! Wind down window drive shiok shiok... Temperature also affect road conditions ok... [laugh]

I find that some roads common to have small rocks lying around hitting on the car which I find irritating as it damages paintworks and causes me to drive slowly over as I like to maintain my car as new as possible. At times flying rocks on the move cause chipping.

Hi,

LTA has replied my email or LTA website with regards to feedback on worn out road and potholes. So far, they have acted on it immediately especially on pot holes. For worn out road, they also let me know about the timeline on returfing. Uneven road like a depression or hump which causes steering wheel to turn, they also make good on the road.

I have ever feedback on the uprooting on the safety railing and they response immediately after making good and call me it is done.

So far I am glad LTA are taking up ownership on the road maintenance.

For debris on the road, please NEA call hotlines.

Cheers

Our standard is not high. More like the contractors are substandard. Go take a drive on the semi-expressway from Pasir Panjang to Keppel. Lots of potholes. I was there yesterday and luckily traffic wasn't heavy and I managed to drive round all of them.

No need to drive round. Just drive over them. Test your dampers and new rubbers. [laugh]

Erm.. you never read papers huh.. some time ago they did mention that the asphalt used now is the recycled type. More environmentally friendly.. or so they claim [rolleyes]

I seldom read local newspapers these days.

↡ Advertisement