Heavier Penalties for Motorised Bicycle Offences

Neutralsg

Didn't know that cyclists below 16 year old are not allowed to ride motorised bicycle.

Effective 1 Jan 2011, penalties include court action for some offenses which are currently not an offense. Max speed limit with power assistance - 25kmph. Above 25kmph, use your kaki power [:p]

Please share this information to your friends and families who possess or intend to possess a motorised bicycle.

Heavier Penalties for Motorised Bicycle Offences

1 From 1 January 2011, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will impose heavier penalties on cyclists and retailers of motorised bicycles that do not meet LTA's technical requirements. Most of the fines will be doubled for errant cyclists and suppliers. Cyclists will face a fine ranging from $100 to $500, up from the current fines of $50 to $200. Retailers will face more severe penalties, with fines starting from $500. (Please refer to the Annex A for the full list of enhanced penalties for various offences.)

2 LTA will roll out a public education programme to educate suppliers and cyclists on safety requirements of motorised bicycles and on how to identify approved models. Posters and brochures will be distributed to community centres, foreign worker dormitories as well as motorised bicycle retailers (Please refer to Annex B for the safety requirements and Annex C for examples of a motorised bicycle that meets LTA's technical requirements versus an illegal model.)

4 Mr Colin Lim, LTA's Group Director for Vehicle and Transit Licensing said, "For the safety of cyclists and other road users, only low-powered models of motorised bicycles which are approved by LTA and affixed with an LTA seal, are allowed on public roads. With the increase in offences relating to illegal motorised bicycles over the last two years, we see a need to enhance both public education and the penalty framework to stress the importance of safety related to the use of motorised bicycles."

5 Members of the public can visit www.onemotoring.com.sg or call LTA at 1800 CALL LTA (1800 2255 582) to obtain information on the requirements before purchasing and using a motorised bicycle.

Edited by Neutralsg
↡ Advertisement

Jail, fines to combat reckless use of personal mobility devices

SINGAPORE — The safety of pedestrians and the various provisions to protect them were foremost on the minds of Members of Parliament (MPs) yesterday, as laws were passed to regulate the use of electric bicycles and personal mobility devices (PMDs). The new Active Mobility Act will impose penalties for offences such as riding e-bikes or PMDs on paths meant only for pedestrians, or using PMDs recklessly, but the MPs wanted more stringent regulations, such as registering all users of such devices, and making it mandatory for them to purchase third-party insurance and put on safety gear.

They also questioned the enforceability of these laws and expressed concern over how to deal with a potential rise in hit-and-run cases.

Under the new laws, which take effect later this year, a person cannot ride a bicycle, an e-bike or PMD on pedestrian-only paths. Subjected to speed limits, only those riding bicycles and PMDs are permitted on footpaths while shared paths, such as cycling paths and park connectors, can be used by those riding bicycles, PMDs and e-bikes.

Those who flout these rules can be fined up to S$1,000, or jailed up to three months or both.

It is also an offence if users fail to provide assistance in a car accident, while sellers face hefty penalties if they display, advertise and sell devices that do not comply with guidelines.

The laws come after the Government accepted recommendations from a panel on rules and norms for the use of footpaths and cycling paths, and began clamping down on errant riders through a dedicated enforcement team formed last May.

In her opening speech during the second reading of the Bill yesterday, Senior Minister of State Josephine Teo noted that as cycling and the use of PMDs have become more popular, some members of the public have also expressed concerns about the safety of pedestrians.

The approach taken by the Government is to continue to build more dedicated cycling paths where possible, while establishing a set of rules and norms for cyclists and PMD users when sharing footpaths with pedestrians.

Yesterday, 13 MPs debated the Bill. Noting the lack of a mandatory compensation scheme, Mr Sitoh Yih Pin (Potong Pasir) said this could leave many unwitting accident victims involving PMDs with no recourse to seek compensation for any personal injury suffered.

Mr Zainal Sapari (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) suggested banning the use of bicycles and e-bikes on the main road to those below 18 years old and making it compulsory for PMD users to have basic knowledge of the Highway Code.

Others proposed legislating the need to put on safety gear while riding their devices. Dr Teo Ho Pin (Bukit Panjang) suggested that the Land Transport Authority (LTA) register all riders, bicycles, e-bikes and PMDs to facilitate enforcement.

In response to these concerns, Mrs Teo stressed that the new laws can be refined in future.

On the issue of insurance and compensation, she noted that there is a very broad range of users, from frequent to occasional riders, as well as the more affluent, to the less well-off users.

Mandatory insurance, which is not an insignificant amount to pay annually, comes at some cost to the rider, added Mrs Teo, who also noted that cities with a strong culture of using these devices also do not make it mandatory to buy insurance and instead, focus on cultivating safe and responsible behaviours.

On the calls to set varying age limits, Mrs Teo said that patrols by LTA officers in the last few months found that errant users were from all age groups. “It is, therefore, important to focus on education and enforcement,” she added.

While only e-bikes have to be licensed, the authorities will continue to monitor the situation and consider extending registration to all motorised devices.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/jail-fines-combat-reckless-use-personal-mobility-devices

• Praise 1

As usual they only wait for problems or even injury to happen, then they implement measures or law?! Anyway, i wonder how could they track on all e-bikes and PMDs and to ensure they are comply with the law?

There is no need to increase penalties if you dont enforce.. 

COME TO CBD AREA... u will see TONS of AM on their PMDs zipping along the roads every mrng.. and evening...  EVERYDAY.. 

• Praise 2

Hui-ge headache. How to have island-wide enforcement on ppl using such device?

Give me 50 bucks commission per catch and I can spend my leave/ off days helping him  :D

As usual they only wait for problems or even injury to happen, then they implement measures or law?! Anyway, i wonder how could they track on all e-bikes and PMDs and to ensure they are comply with the law?

Take measurement tape & weighing machine loh.

Max width: 700mm

Max unladen weight: 20kg

20170110_ActiveMobility_Key_regulations_proposed_bill_AnnexA.pdf

Give me 50 bucks commission per catch and I can spend my leave/ off days helping him  :D

i willing to do it for free... as long as they absolve me from any prosecution when i flying kick or elbow some AM off his e-scooter...   :XD:

happy that my kah ta chia has gone under the radar screens

:D

Who says so?

Bicycles

Switch on the white light in front and red light at back of bicycle during hours of

darkness

Specific to On-road Cycling (both conventional and power-assisted bicycles)

 Observe traffic rules

 Every bicycle shall be ridden as close as practicable to the left hand side of the roadway

 Cycling maximum two abreast will be allowed on all roads with at least two lanes in that direction, except those with bus lanes during the bus lane operational hours

 No riding against the flow of traffic

 Use hand signals to alert drivers and other cyclists when turning left or right, and when stopping

Edited by Davidtch

E-bike need to register. On a no riding path, they didn't mentioned about PMD. If dismount from a PMD , some may have to carry their device, and for E-scooter, the wheels doesn't turn smoothly without power.

In summary, the pictures below provide clearer rule,

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/reckless-users-of-personal-mobility-devices-to-face-fines-jail/3426888.html

pmd-infographic-data.jpg

pmd-infographic-2-data.jpg

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 4

Hui-ge headache. How to have island-wide enforcement on ppl using such device?

I think they pass the law is for show again. How could they possible to enforce such law on all e-bikes and PMDs? I really think this is a joke lo.

Confirm many will turn full-time.

I won't be surprised if they ban it altogether. No more of this nonsense. No need to tackle the issue either.

Rules will be broken when there's no enforcement. "Do anything but don't get caught" mentality is unstoppable.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Just get used to it lah. There are so many PMDs around. I can see every single day. Just a trip to the market across the road i can see a few people zipping around.

Most pple aren't a**holes or dangerous. 

If we want to go car-lite, this is definitely the way to go.

• Praise 1

Confirm many will turn full-time.

I won't be surprised if they ban it altogether. No more of this nonsense. No need to tackle the issue either.

Rules will be broken when there's no enforcement. "Do anything but don't get caught" mentality is unstoppable.

Funny thing is how come they dont ban selling such device here? Thought they always like to solve problem with the easy way de?

• Praise 2

E-bike need to register. On a no riding path, they didn't mentioned about PMD. If dismount from a PMD , some may have to carry their device, and for E-scooter, the wheels doesn't turn smoothly without power.

In summary, the pictures below provide clearer rule,

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/reckless-users-of-personal-mobility-devices-to-face-fines-jail/3426888.html

pmd-infographic-data.jpg

pmd-infographic-2-data.jpg

On "No riding sign", Got lah!

Look at Annex A i attached above.

For electric skate scooter, juz throttle it slightly when pushing loh.

Funny thing is how come they dont ban selling such device here? Thought they always like to solve problem with the easy way de?

Go & read Annex i attached above

Sale of Bicycles, PMDs and PABs

 Retailers must not display non-compliant devices at their premises

 Retailers must not advertise any non-compliant devices at their premises

 Retailers must display warning notices about rules of usage within their premises

 Retailers must adequately advise customers who purchase PMDs that PMDs are notallowed to be used on roads

 Retailers must adequately advise customers who purchase non-compliant bicycles, PMDs or PABs that they are not permitted on roads or public paths

 Retailers must not alter a PMD, PAB or bicycle and render it non-compliant

↡ Advertisement