Pros and Cons of bigger wheels

Chrispie

Hi to all the experts here.. im contemplating upsizing my rims. So wanna know more about the implications. Hope you guys can share some wisdom.

Kindly use the format:

Pros:

Cons:

thanks a lot!

↡ Advertisement

Pros:

definitely looks better than original smallish rims!

Cons:

heavier, increase fc

speedometer accuracy might be affected

ride comfort is compromise if you changed to lower profile tyres to reduce inaccuracy in speedometer

extra money spent

tyre change will be mre expensive due to bigger size

Edited by Andylau1177

so if i kept the overall circumference to be the same, the gauges' accuracy wont be affected right?

And as for heavier, what if i get a 18' that is actually lighter than my 17'?

thats right, thats why you have to sacrifice on comfort by getting lower profile tyres. and there are lighter 18 rims than 17 rims around but the tyres would be heavier i think due to more materials.

so if i kept the overall circumference to be the same, the gauges' accuracy wont be affected right?

Bro tyre weight spec can be seen in the website

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...tremeContact+DW

generally conti and michelin are lighter..... Bridgestone is HEAVY

Edited by D3badge

so the ONLY good points are :

1. looks better

2. better handling coz lower profile tyres flex lesser when cornering (provided the overall weight is lighter, if not moving off is more difficult)

1. looks better

2. better handling coz lower profile tyres flex lesser when cornering (provided the overall weight is lighter, if not moving off is more difficult)

3. FC can remain the same provided your upsize rims are lighter then the original ones.

Cons

1. You feel more of the bumps on the road as the profile is lower.

2. Should your rims be light and expensive, you probably have to invest in a set of lock lug nuts.

Have you considered lessening the offset figure?

Nina

errmm.... simi si offset?

i only know i need to get rims with same pcd (which i also dont know what it really is)...

It is like widening the "stance" of the car, means your tyres will protrude out more if the offset figure is less.... say i go from +45 to +40 means, that my rims will flush out more... you can ask more about the offset from the rim sellers.... see my example about offsets... http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS.../snap/road1.jpg

PCD is the spec for the lug nut holes on your rims.

See this. =)

http://www.matey-matey.com/alloy-wheels.shtml

regards

Nina

1. looks better

Point No2. is more prone to drifting when tires flex less, the grip is compromised. Just look at drifting competition they like to use large sized rims & low profile tires to drift. On the other hand if you look at WRC they use small rims with high profile tires for more grip over off road terrain & even on tarmac. Although high profile tires dun look nice they offer better grip on road conditions as they able to flex more and less prone to drift.

Normally total weight with tyre will be heavier... dun forget that you also increase the width on the tyre [laugh]

Dun tell me that you have a 18" wheel with 195 width :D

Edited by Ncss

Normally total weight with tyre will be heavier... dun forget that you also increase the width on the tyre [laugh]

Dun tell me that you have a 18" wheel with 195 width :D

thats the thing.. i was lookg at some of the tyre specs, a 225/50/17 is actually heavier than 225/40/18. so based on this, i actually saved some weight.

If you go for forged rims, then bigger rims might be slightly lighter than the smaller ones. However, with increase in contact on the road (wider tyres), lighter rims might not be translated into better FC for your car and if it really helps a little to save more petrol, the price you pay for forged rims and light-weight tyres still doesn't justify the saving.

Hi to all the experts here.. im contemplating upsizing my rims. So wanna know more about the implications. Hope you guys can share some wisdom.

Kindly use the format:

Pros:

Cons:

thanks a lot!

pros : it will look much more nicer.

if you want to go for the looks then dun care about the FC and etc.

cons: tires are more expensive.

will affect FC

but you cant have the best of both world. so either go for looks or go for FC.